What's new

Question. What would you guys pay for ...

jrf30

Bronze Member
Joined
May 7, 2006
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
There is an auction here tomorrow evening. Numerous lots that might interest me. But I'm curious about thoughts on pricing.

The lots include

50 silver Roosevelts in okay condition (real techincal term there!)
40 SIlver Roosevelts in nice condition
100 Indian head pennies in worn out condition
50 indian head pennies in nice condition
100 Mercury dimes in nice condition
20 silver eagles in a green lipped tube (From a monster box)
100 ounce Englehard bar
100 ounce J.M. (Matthey) bar
250 Buffalo nickels all with readable dates

I'm thinking that Bulliondirect is about 10 times face on silver right now, so $50 or so on 50 Roosies would be about right. So if I tried to buy them at $45 or less that would be a good deal. yeah, I know - it's not like CRH, where we get them at face value. But I"m sure some others on the board have bought at a retail price for some coins.

How about the IH's? What have you guys seen in prices on those?

I'm willing to pay 80% or a little more of retal value, as that iss till a deal. I"m ust trying ot work out what "retail" is. I'm looking on ebay, and on websites, but also was curious what you guys think.
 
Upvote 0
I would say you have it right on the 90% coins. The silver eagles would go for $15-18 oz, and the 100 oz bars spot+$1-2. If any of the other coins are numismatic I couldn't tell you, not my forte yet.
 
If it were me I would just be patient and find the silver at face. Yeah it could take a good while but it is fun and you know you are making bank. If I were to go to an auction for silver like that chances are there would be others interested and bidding and I would go well over what I wanted to spend. That is my competitive nature would get me carried away. But I am sure many get great deals this way. Good luck.

Golden Silver
 
make sure you know if there is a buyer's premium.
at a lot of auctions like that they charge you 10% above the winning bid.
that can add up fast!!!
and, I bet there will be people there from the local coin club or a dealer.
if there is a dealer he is going to pay close to 10x face
gl hh
dan
 
Value = Rarity

If there are special dates an indian can go for 800+
 
Don't be surprised to see junk silver sell at 20 times face. That's what i witnessed at the last auction that I attended. Common date Morgans selling at $30 - $60, Walkers for $8, and most astounding of all, Ikes going for $3-$4 each! FFD
 
Fistfulladirt said:
most astounding of all, Ikes going for $3-$4 each! FFD

I need to find that guy that bought those Ikes. lol My bank orders them for me quarterly 100$ at a time. I could use an extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars. lol. Awesome.
HH,
Frank
 
Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate it from all. :-)

Now we'll see how it goes tonight ...
 
jrf30 said:
Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate it from all. :-)

Now we'll see how it goes tonight ...



Best of luck Jeff, hope that you can find some really nice deals , Ed
 
In Philadelphia its worth about Fifty bucks!
 
I try to buy indians in bulk and I never pay more than 75-80 cents each in decent shape, on ebay they go for about a buck each.
 
Yeah, silver is going for more than it is worth right now in bulk. You can sometimes get Indians for 80 cents. If you can it is a pretty good deal especially if the lot contains some pre-1900's.
 
last lot I bought I got 130 indians for $100, I think it was about 76 cents each. Over half were 1800's
 
If you can, and I have at auctions paid as little as $7.18 ounce for junk Silver including Halves, can get any SIlver item for under Spot you are getting a deal! Buy it.
 
Re: What would you guys pay (results!)

Wow. The auction was a bust for me.

The INdian Head pennies, in VERY circulated condition, went for $1.50 each PLUS the 13% buyer's premium.

The silver went for 11 - 15 times face (Plus premium).

Shoot, I even asked to SELL at that auction after it was over, since they have it every two weeks and I'd LOVE ot get 13 times on my silver as an average. But, they charge 30% commission in ADDITION to keeping the 13% buyer's premium. That's ridiculous. At 15 times silver face, tht would only leave me at 10 times, and if I got 11 times I'd be in bad shape.

So I didn't buy anything. NOt at THOSE prices! LOL. But I went, I saw, and I shook my head instead of my paddle.
 
Good for you bud now go get you some silver for face value...it will make you feel better.

Golden Silver
 
I have never been sucessful at coin auctions, the ones around here all the coin are submitted by dealers and they are at the auctions bidding up their OWN coins! so it is impossible to get a deal.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom