Question

B

boojagirl

about a block from my house they did some road construction, they have already put in the road and the sidewalks so I can't look there anymore but they still have the hills of dirt they took off the road, the hills are right behind my girl's friends house and they play by them all the time so there should be no problem MDing around there, thing is do you think I would find anything decent at a place like that?

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 242
  • P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 240

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you can handle Detecting Piles go for it.
You never know.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don't see why it wouldn't hurt to check it out...you'd just be out some time. I did that to a city construction site where an old house used to be a few weeks ago. Found a lot of scrap in the piles but nothing of any value....and it's a lot easier to dig ;D

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I would give it a shot.

Never know.... that's what makes it fun.

Good luck.
RD

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It helps to know what was there before. Dose the place have history, old park, old school, camp grounds or the likes. If nothing was there before, chances are you will find nothing.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Do let us know what you find.... if you do.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ant is right. There has to be old history there. Like, a neighborhood that preferably pre-dates the 1920s. The 1920s is about when sidewalks started going to cement. So if a neighborhood, for example, only dated to the '20s, then there probably weren't earlier dirt or wooden paths. Also starting in the 1920s is when roads that used to be dirt streets, began to get primitive forms of paving (chip and gravel etc....). Also, when more modern forms of asphalt came about, the first thing they do is to dig out, re-compact, etc... to prepare for the base of asphalt. So quite often, road demo's are a bust. I've usually only done good at sidewalk demo. dirt, and it has to be from an old area.

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

as long as I have known it has just been an empty area, but their are houses to the sides and behind so there could have been a house there at some time, there is enough room for a house and yard, across the street is the back side of the power company, I just remembered about 2 years ago we watched the fire department do a controlled house burning of a house on a lot behind a church about 3 blocks from my house, I don't think anything has been built there yet, maybe they will let me look around there.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
I like surprises... I hunt first then research, it's a lot more fun. "For a Little place like that."

How many people really research first? Not unless your on a peronal quest!

A worker may have dropped a lighter that has been in his family for generations,
and would have been lost forever... if you did'nt come along.Sample; not to pass up a
hunt.

chow!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from the look of the pictures i would go for it.The dark colored dirt is top soil and since they peeled it down ther should be some good styff there!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
When I spoke of going thru piles that's because in Tennessee right now the undisturbed soil is harder than concrete due to no rain since sometime in June >:(

But I agree with the others; check out the exposed areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread