What's new

Question...

Illini Rockhound

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2014
Messages
33
Reaction score
148
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the creek area we have been hunting, we have found a variety of artifacts of various ages from a big sandy and pine tree to Hopewell to mississipian. Should I expect to find any Paleo tools/points? I haven't found anything yet, but we have only checked a small portion of the creek bottom.
 
Upvote 0
IMHO I’d say know way to know for sure .... a lot of sites overlap and being a creek artifacts could be washing down from way upstream. If Paleo artifacts have been found anywhere close to you than I would think it’s possible
 
No.

Paleo sites were inhabited during different climate/ecological conditions that changed when the climate/ecology did.

It is not common to find paleo beneath Archaic.

FWIW
 
Thanks for the replies. I won't get my hopes up lol. In the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot so long as I find something :)
 
I'm also from Illinois and have 6 clovis points from fields that have produced artifacts from paleo through mississipian, all within a 10 mile radius of me, so anything is possible.
 
Isolated losses during hunts, sure. Many are found far from anything else, or om contexts like yours.

But found on a mixed habitation site with paleo tools & debitage, rare and unusual.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom