Questions as I am new about ownership of finds

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have obtained permission to search several properties of friends. I just wish to find out some things prior to hunting my first time.

Lets say I find something valuable do I own it? Should the property owner get a cut of the find? I am sure there are others on here that have similar types of questions and many of you have the answers. I know we should ask the owner have they lost anything so if you come across it you can return it. Please help educate me and some of the other newbies here.

Thanks

Last edited:

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the yards you're searching belong to friends, I would let them have pick of the finds. Sure you risk the chance they will take your good finds but hey, it's their property.

Returning something lost feels great. If you have ever lost anything, you know what it's like to "wish and hope" there is a good samaritan out there to return your stuff.

Either way, it's up to you. Some people return and some don't. Our hobby is not a cheap investment and some folks use that to justify keeps all their finds, which is fine, some disagree.

Have fun out there!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I usually just tell the property owner "you're welcome to anything I find, as it's just a hobby and I love to detect". And I've even gone and shown people stuff afterwards (old coins, etc...), and RARELY ever had someone take it (or ... at least take all of it). They're usually cool and say "keep it". And I usually rig the conversation at the end anyhow. So like, let's say I've found several common silver coins, or a dazzling buffalo nickel, etc.. And let's say I've also found a trade token that I happen to know is valuable/collectable. I'll show them everything, and give them all the coins, but then hold-back the token and say "this is one that I don't have in my collection, if it's alright with you". And seeing as how I just handed them coins (which the average person has no knowledge of values, etc...) they're usually more than ok with me doing that.

But I guess your question was about caches though? (ie.: big-ticket items, like jars of money, etc...). That's a different beast. I have yet to find a cache in my 35 yrs. No doubt a lot of us md'rs have passed a few in our time, saying under our breath "durned hubcaps", haha

OP
OP
tims1chap

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for answering, know I have some knowledge and it is mostly what I had thought but wanted to make sure I was on the right path. It is much appreciated and hopefully I start finding stuff soon. Best wishes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Avoid any problem ahead of time by setting terms before you hunt. I usually just say how does 50/50 on anything valuable sound. That usually works out fine. If you were to find a rare coin, it might turn into a bone of contension for a long time. Frank

coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread