Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.jpgPicture 117.jpg
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.jpg06 Draped Bust.JPG
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.jpgPicture 114.jpg
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!

Upvote 0
I beleive that every one is wrong. I think that what you have is a 1809 washer.
Washers sold for about 1.100 of a cent that year. Being the kind person that I am
I would offer you one US Dollar for it.(LOL)

SUPER FIND!!!
Did id hear BANNER
Joe

Jack(IN) said:
Awesome find!!! I have seen only one other Bust Quarter posted on other forums and I believe are harder to find than gold coins, many have been posted here the last couple years!! If this coin is not a Banner coin, then there just aren't any!! Very sweet!!

You're EXACTLY right.

i dont mean to downplay anyone elses banner finds but some of them pale in comparison to this coin. ::) what is the criteria for making the banner? in my opinion this one belongs there.

Well...is it against the rules to PM the mods? :angel4: Let's see! :thumbsup:

Nana :)

Still not on the banner yet but thank you very much for your support. Usually after a find like this, my alarm goes off, and I realize that it was just a dream. Only difference is that this one is real!

Was going to wait to post and congratulate you on making the banner...but by the looks of things, I may not have internet access when they put me in a rest home.. :wink:...sooooooo..Congrats on a fantastic find....

It is puzzling why your coin is not there.... :BangHead:

:D NICE FINDS YOU GOT THERE. :icon_king:
KEEP IT UP, AND YOUR SPADE IN THE GROUND :thumbsup:
CONGRATS
M L HUDSON

I was fortunate enough to see this coin in person last night and I can tell you that I was in awe! I hope to be this lucky some day.

Can't wait to see what you pull out of that spot next SMS88!

What a super dig,
Nice recovery my friend.
Something like that needs to hit the Banner and probably will.
It certainly would have made me swallow my gum.

congrats !
Thom

Flowing hair, flowing drool :tongue3: What a terrifically preserved coin and unbelievable find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back