What's new

Quick Hunt 2- A large cent and a truly breathtaking find!

SMS88

Full Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
135
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy Saturday everyone! I decided to do some more hunting where I found the seated dime , shield nickel, and Indian head cent. I spotted a natural path and started hunting it. I started off a little rough, finding a bunch of canslaw, foil, a 78 memorial cent, and a half eaten zincoln. YUM ! However, after a while, my luck took a turn for the better. I got a solid 86-quarter signal on the dfx at 3.5". I was hoping for a nice barber or seated quarter and got...
Picture 116.webpPicture 117.webp
an 1846 large cent with a nice, readable date. Kinda hoping for some silver, but a large cent is also really sweet. I guess this spot was older than I thought. I wandered around, digging up canslaw and nails and pulltabs and a few pieces of lead. Then I got another 86 quarter signal, just like the first. It sounded rather large for a coin, and I pushed the leaves away and breathed a sigh of relief. The signal was not getting any shallower than 3.5". It could be another large cent. I pinpointed and carefully dug around the target. I pulled out a few sharp pieces of pottery, which put a small hairline scratch on what I was about to dig. I pulled out a large cent sized coin that was almost completely covered in dirt. I did not scan a pic of the dirty coin, but thanks to the magic of a scanner and MS Paint, I'll show you the part I could read
Picture 118.webp06 Draped Bust.webp
It looked like a draped bust large cent, 1806. I figured I was done with the hunt for now, so I headed back to my dorm to gently rinse off my finds. That was the moment I truly discovered what I found
Picture 115.webpPicture 114.webp
Eagles don't roost on large cents. They're on silver. The 1806 was actually a draped bust quarter! I haven't found a silver Q in 08 yet and the oldest quarter I have ever found was 1892. I flew right over seated and capped and went right to draped bust. I now had a wide mouthed smile and was so happy I was speechless. Even finding a 1.5 oz 14k gold bracelet last October wasn't as amazing as this. It's almost surreal. It's the best coin I have ever found!
 
Upvote 0
What can we do to get this on the banner? ???

Calling the banner Gods....please pay attention to this great coin! :thumbsup:
 
I beleive that every one is wrong. I think that what you have is a 1809 washer.
Washers sold for about 1.100 of a cent that year. Being the kind person that I am
I would offer you one US Dollar for it.(LOL)

SUPER FIND!!!
Did id hear BANNER
Joe
 
Jack(IN) said:
Awesome find!!! I have seen only one other Bust Quarter posted on other forums and I believe are harder to find than gold coins, many have been posted here the last couple years!! If this coin is not a Banner coin, then there just aren't any!! Very sweet!!

You're EXACTLY right.
 
i dont mean to downplay anyone elses banner finds but some of them pale in comparison to this coin. ::) what is the criteria for making the banner? in my opinion this one belongs there.
 
Well...is it against the rules to PM the mods? :angel4: Let's see! :thumbsup:

Nana :)
 
Still not on the banner yet but thank you very much for your support. Usually after a find like this, my alarm goes off, and I realize that it was just a dream. Only difference is that this one is real!
 
Was going to wait to post and congratulate you on making the banner...but by the looks of things, I may not have internet access when they put me in a rest home.. :wink:...sooooooo..Congrats on a fantastic find....

It is puzzling why your coin is not there.... :BangHead:
 
:D NICE FINDS YOU GOT THERE. :icon_king:
KEEP IT UP, AND YOUR SPADE IN THE GROUND :thumbsup:
CONGRATS
M L HUDSON
 
I was fortunate enough to see this coin in person last night and I can tell you that I was in awe! I hope to be this lucky some day.

Can't wait to see what you pull out of that spot next SMS88!
 
Super nice coin!!! I'd probably have a heart attack if I dug that up. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:
 
What a super dig,
Nice recovery my friend.
Something like that needs to hit the Banner and probably will.
It certainly would have made me swallow my gum.

congrats !
Thom
 
Flowing hair, flowing drool :tongue3: What a terrifically preserved coin and unbelievable find!!!
 
Great finds...Congrats. Banner for sure...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom