What's new

Quick post still hunting shark teeth

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Vilano beach just north of St. Augustine FL. Still need ID. big lower jaw tooth missing root. Be back later.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130305_160631.webp
    ForumRunner_20130305_160631.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 357
ForumRunner_20130305_160834.webp
 
Hmm, interesting. Could post pictures of the ends? Can you tell if it has any enamel?
 
Cool! Thanks man. It definitely has enamel.

ForumRunner_20130305_222116.webp



ForumRunner_20130305_222405.webp



ForumRunner_20130305_222517.webp
 
Part of me wants to say Jaguar .
Mabey..Mako lower? All I have found is shark teeth so far. About twenty small ones.
ForumRunner_20130305_222755.webp



ForumRunner_20130305_223009.webp
 
Last edited:
This is not my expertise.

ForumRunner_20130305_225614.webp
 
My bet is on something prehistoric, as in, some mean and lean aquatic mother cruncher.
 
Oh, I see now. It's a fossil sperm whale tooth! Only whale teeth are hollow on the 'big' end like that. Very nice specimen, and a pretty big one, too. Here is a picture of one of mine for comparison. Mine is longer and slimmer because it is from a different place in the mouth. Great find! :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • image-579768205.webp
    image-579768205.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2395898735.webp
    image-2395898735.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 149
Yessss!! Man you saved me alot of hassle! Thanks a million.. I can almost guarantee I would have miss ID'd that one.
I'm looking forward to the morning. I'm going to sift the dropoff area around where I found that...I have a long handled sandflea rake And a screen with me...... It only washed up with a wave about a foot from the dropoff and was rolling back when I ran and snagged it. The next wave soaked me but well worth it.
 
Last edited:
Have fun Gator and keep us posted on your journey:thumbsup:
 
Will do! Thanks
 
ForumRunner_20130306_070026.webp



ForumRunner_20130306_070059.webp

The view from my room this morning.
 
Thanks, I'm so glad I could help!

Beautiful beach, looks like a great day to hunt. Make sure you update us if you find anything. Whale teeth are great indicators that the area is particularly rich.
 
Want to show the days goodies. No more whale teeth..but my heart stopped when I saw this sticking up. Only the full part was showing. All in all it was a great trip to the oldest city in the U.S


ForumRunner_20130306_190855.webp



ForumRunner_20130306_191105.webp



ForumRunner_20130306_191234.webp
 
Nice finds, thanks for sharing. I love St. Augustine.
 
Maybe a dolphin tooth looks kind of small for a whale tooth.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom