Quiz: Which coin gives you the most silver per $ of face value?

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% halves, dimes, and quarters have the same silver value per $1. I know 90% large dollars have a tad more, but the war nickel destroys the rest.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The war nickel, duh!

Good luck everyone. Peace on earth!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would guess that 90% is all the same per dollar, cause thats how the LCS buys it...

Actually went and looked up 1$ face of war nickel, and yep, the nickel it is...

good website to calculate how much silver you find: U.S. Silver Coin Calculator | Coin News
Just put what type and how many, and it shows you melt value, and pure oz weight

1 dollar of nickels equals to 1.125 oz of silver while the 90% is .723 for dimes through halves(although the fraction does change a little) And it is .773 oz for a morgan

Last edited:

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would guess that 90% is all the same per dollar, cause thats how the LCS buys it...

Actually went and looked up 1$ face of war nickel, and yep, the nickel it is...

good website to calculate how much silver you find: U.S. Silver Coin Calculator | Coin News
Just put what type and how many, and it shows you melt value, and pure oz weight

1 dollar of nickels equals to 1.125 oz of silver while the 90% is .723 for dimes through halves(although the fraction does change a little) And it is .773 oz for a morgan

Awesome site, didn't know it existed, i love the charts and stuff! Good sharing!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Morgan Dollar
2) 90% Kennedy
3) 1962 Washington Quarter
4) 1957 Roosevelt Dime
5) 1944 War Nickel

So you get a dollars worth of each coin put them in order of the most value based on silver content you would receive for each coin type.

As the others have stated, $1 face value of war nickels gives you by far the most silver. Followed by the silver dollar, and then finally the half, quarter, and dime which all tie for last.

With that said however, and more important to me, if I were selling the coins in your list, in my area I would receive the most cash for the silver dollar, followed closely by the 90% halves, quarters, and dimes. The war nickels would bring the lowest amount. Its very hard to find anyone willing to pay anywhere close to spot for war nickels, if they will even buy them at all.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread