rainy day land detector suggestions wanted and thanks

A

abrakdabra

I have a Fisher 1270 and it's a fine machine. I detect in the woods and it has been
very rainy recently, sort of a light drizzle under the forest canopy verging on mist
by the time it gets through. I wrap the control box with a plastic bag and it's fine
for three or four hours until it starts acting up, spasmodically beeping. I dry it out
and it takes a day, just sitting around indoors, then it's ok again. The humidity on
these drizzly days is often 100 percent. That and the bag around the control box
creates an even more humid environment for the electronics.

I don't want to keep this up and fry the machine. Which obviously does not like the
wet.

So I was thinking go for a submersible machine and, since I like Fisher, a 1280-x
Aquanaut. Since the 1280-x is designed to be underwater up to 250 feet it probably/
obviously wouldn't mind detecting in the woods on a drizzly day, would it?

That's about all I can think of. Can you help me select a rainy day detector for the
land?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
The 1280 will handle the wet ok. It is heavier than a land machine, however it is easily hipmounted to take the weight off your arm. You will be supprised at the battery time you'll get on this detector. How does all summer sound?

Sandman

I've got the impression the 1280x Fisher has the headphones permanently fixed
in place unlike a land detector and the headphone jack/plug. And the headphones
for the 1280x are not light phones. Big, enclosed cups like shooter's headphones/
airport worker's headphones. Wearing them I suppose you wouldn't hear anything
but the beeps of the detector working. Unlike the lighter choice of headphones
one could plug into a land detector's jack.

I dunno. Is the 1280x set up permanently with its accompanying headphones.

How do you think it would be on land, besides being waterproof? Good depth and
good for relic-ing(?).

I'm surprised companies don't work at making their land detectors completely
waterproof for rainy day use on land (but there must be some reason whatever it
might be....). Anyway I like Fishers. Thanks for your recommendation on the 1280,
Sand.

I have had my Fisher 1266-X for 15 years, and it has had its share of drizzle and rain. I always just place a trash bag over the control housing (I don't tie it shut though!). The rain will just run off (as long as it's not a downpour). I think tying up the bag might be a bad idea, plus if you happen to bump a knob you might inadvertently change your discrimination settings. When detectin' with the plastic bag, I try to check the controls periodically to make sure discrimination and sensitivity are still set correctly. I have not had to have any repairs since I bought my machine in 1992, and I've been out with it heavily. Never any problems with a light rain either.

I hope this helps.

-Buckleboy

I had a Headhunter wader and used it mostly for foul weather hunting and never had a problem even in downpours, it is very lightweight easy to use and believe it is similar electronically to the 1280 . Perhaps you can check out the website for Detector Pro. Good Luck HH Bill

Yeah, the plastic bag technique isn't working. I'd like to get
another Fisher that is completely waterproof. Like a used
Impulse, Cz-20 Quicksilver, or 1280x Aquanaut. Not have to
bother about plastic bags and letting the detector dry out for
a day after it becomes unusable due to mist in the electronics.
It seems that the price goes up with the waterproof/submer-
sible models. The cz-20 would be top of the line. The Garrett
Infinium is a uppy up model, too.

I've had my 1270 for two years. I like to get out rain or not
so it looks like I need a submersible machine to keep up with
myself and being a duck. Thanks for replies.

LEOJ said:
abrakdabra--
I live in Oregon and I used to run a Fisher 1266XB all bagged up in the rain. Check out the link below and you can see a modification to my Explorer II done by a friend of mine. This is my rainy day land machine. I call it The AquaHog.

http://detectorgear.com/dgforums/showthread.php?t=55

LEOJ there are buried caches of silver coins 70 miles north northeast of you and multiple cellar holes from old home sites. When I come out in Oct/Nov are you up for a road trip? I'll have to get in touch with my cousin, he used to ride dirt bikes up there and knows the locations.

Charles

PS: That machine looks oddly familiar. :D

If that's an 'aquahog' it's the prince of hogs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back