RANDOM PICTURE THREAD - Post ANY of your favorite pictures here to share with Tnet...

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20171214_090637.jpg
    20171214_090637.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An original civil war era photo showing cannons and huge stacks of artillery ammunition on the grounds of the Charleston Arsenal (South Carolina) shortly after that city's capture by the Yankees in early 1865. The three torpedo-shaped cannon tubes in the foreground are British-made steel Blakely Rifles which were carried through the yankee naval blockade by Blockade-Runner ships.

Attachments

• photo_Blakely-Rifled-Cannons_Charleston-Arsenal_1865_Blakely-Guns.jpg
    photo_Blakely-Rifled-Cannons_Charleston-Arsenal_1865_Blakely-Guns.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been getting night time snowfalls this past week. Lots of tracks.
Earlier, around 8 P.M. ,, I finally caught part of the deer herd that has been congregating on my side lawn. I rushed this picture from my cell phone. There are 4 deer in the picture. You can see all the tracks from where they have been dancing.

Attachments

• 20171214_221029.jpg
    20171214_221029.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 74

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where the fish at.... 2010_0415Mttohuntdeer4th0007.JPG

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad catch.Must of blown off someones dock.Snagged it while trolling :) 018.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-736.JPG got a good one !!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
022.JPG
Introducing my Baby.Rock solid & scary (0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds) fast :) 018.JPG 025.JPG 031.JPG

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Blak Bart: I had to Google Sabicu wood. It's amazing for anyone that covets wood.

There was a story this morning of guys going into Fla mangrove forests. I think you have
a gold mine down there.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An original civil war photo, made in 1865. It shows some Confederate cannons in Fort Marshall on Sullivan's Island, Charleston SC. According to the text accompanying this photo when I found it on the 'net, the "near" cannon in the photo has the British "Georgius Rex" cypher (raised emblem) on the barrel's breech. That means the Confederates converted a very old British-made 12-pounder smoothbore cannon (shoots balls) into a Rifled cannon (shoots bullet-shaped projectiles) by applying a re-enforcing band around its breech and cutting rifling grooves into the cannon's bore.

Also noteworthy in the photo, there are three small-caliber stands of Grapeshot sitting along the left of the wooden platform for the cannon. Presumably, if the photo does show a 12-pounder cannon, those are extraordinarily rare 12-pounder caliber Grapeshot.

Attachments

• photo_Fort-Marshall_rifled&banded-RefWar-British-12pounder_with-grapeshot_Sullivans-Island.jpg
    photo_Fort-Marshall_rifled&banded-RefWar-British-12pounder_with-grapeshot_Sullivans-Island.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Introducing my Baby.Rock solid & scary (0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds) fast
Now do you want fast?If you ever get the chance,which i doubt very many people ever will.Take a ride in a 1968 Hemi Dodge Dart LO23. 0 to 100mph in 2.5 seconds yes thats 0 to 100mph in 2.5 seconds.That was straight out of the showroom.It was so quick that on the dash board was a warning label stating DO NOT HOLD THE ACCELERATOR FULLY DEPRESSED FOR MORE THAN 1 SECOND.I use to collect hot rod magazines in the early 80s when i was into cars.That Dart was featured in the magazine one month.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eyemustdigtreasure, the "early technology" for moving the giant logs in your turn-of-the-century logging photo was called a Sling-Cart. It is what the Heavy Artillery guys in the civil war used to move the largest cannons (such as the 12,000-pound Columbiad cannons) from the railroad to a fort.

To see an artillery sling-cart in action, removing a captured Confederate Double-Banded Brooke Rifle from Fort Darling on the James River after Richmond fell, go here, and click on the small photo to lee the large version:
Battlefields in Motion - Civil War Artillery - Sling Carts

TheCannonballGuy, hey thanks for making me aware of even earlier use of the big wheels...! That is a neat website too - I'm saving the link!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It snowed again last night

Us folks out West, could use a little bit of that white stuff - very dry here...!
If we don't get a decent winter this time, we are looking at water rationing again..., and even a bigger Fire Season, as well...!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Against the wind, I'm giving a Like to you for still going to the effort of putting up outdoor Christmas lights & decorations. :)
-- says old "Traditionalist" TheCannonballGuy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread