🥇 BANNER Rare 1880 Canadian Quarter.

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any info on this quarter would be awesome. I just found it tonight just after dark. It was my first find with the Legend.
I guess I'm looking if anyone can tell if it is wide or a narrow zero in the date. Also what's Up with The G. Last any thoughts on the grade. Looks rather nice to me.

Attachments

• 20230506_225339.jpg
    20230506_225339.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 20230506_225400.jpg
    20230506_225400.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 32
OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! just as I suggested.
It is a real shame that most people have no idea just how rare this coin is to dig, and in THAT condition.
You most likely will not get a banner spot, but believe me IT IS A BANNER find in every sense.
The forum is biased towards US finds, like GW buttons which have seen many on the banner, US plates, again MANY have been on the banner, how many rare Canadian quarters been on the banner, my educated guess is none. What a shame.
I wonder if the other person who mentioned banner actually voted ?
Hi Rick, Thanks for the vote and also anyone else out there that has done so. Thanks! I must admit it would be cool to see the coin in a marquee Lol... It sounds like it deserves it. I'm just excited that I was able to save it.

You most likely will not get a banner spot, but believe me IT IS A BANNER find in every sense.
The forum is biased towards US finds, like GW buttons which have seen many on the banner, US plates, again MANY have been on the banner, how many rare Canadian quarters been on the banner, my educated guess is none. What a shame.
I wonder if the other person who mentioned banner actually Voted ?
Good job! just as I suggested.
It is a real shame that most people have no idea just how rare this coin is to dig, and in THAT condition.
I wonder if the other person who mentioned banner actually voted ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes great find, BANNER really.
I live in Canada dug a lot of holes, there has only ever been a Victorian quarter in just ONE of those holes. A tough find indeed, any date. For comparison I have at least 9 Spanish silver coins for 1700's

As to have it graded, It's your choice, but I would not pay for an opinion especially on a mid grade coin, the market will decide it's worth should you ever decide to sell it. I hate coins in coffins. And it already has some scratches on it, the reverse, no doubt from when it first came out of the ground you gave it a small wipe. Which would "probably" make the grading company to say "cleaned".

To finish cleaning it I would just soak it in some warm water for a few minutes, and brush it with a small paint brush (that will not scratch it, and get the dirt out from around the letters/rim.)

BANNER vote sent.
Reading what you stated and I fully agree that the amount of old Vickie silver quarters are rare it seems.
It might be the fact that homesteaders didn't have a lot of silver to loose, but even from doing urban settings for decades my collection is very slim.
How slim?
1-1870 AG Quarter that I hit
1-1858 EF 20 cent piece (Blundered I in Gratia) This one is a rare one to be dug it seems.

Given the fact that I have dug a lot holes and getting a quarter in this condition is a rarity.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any info on this quarter would be awesome. I just found it tonight just after dark. It was my first find with the Legend.
I guess I'm looking if anyone can tell if it is wide or a narrow zero in the date. Also what's Up with The G. Last any thoughts on the grade. Looks rather nice to me.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW THANKS ALL FOR THE BANNER VOTES!
I just seen that it made it. To Cool!
Oh Ya Thanks Queen Vic...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread