🥇 BANNER Rare 1880 Canadian Quarter.

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20230506_225339.jpg
    20230506_225339.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 20230506_225400.jpg
    20230506_225400.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 32

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any info on this quarter would be awesome. I just found it tonight just after dark. It was my first find with the Legend.
I guess I'm looking if anyone can tell if it is wide or a narrow zero in the date. Also what's Up with The G. Last any thoughts on the grade. Looks rather nice to me.
That's a beauty! What a great find... I'm sure someone on Tnet can help.

Congratulations 👍

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a narrow '0':
And here's a wide '0':

Yours appears to be a wide '0' type.
If mine, I wouldn't consider any offer less than $1,000 US.
Great save.
Don in SoCal.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE finds thanks for sharing :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a narrow '0':
And here's a wide '0':

Yours appears to be a wide '0' type.
If mine, I wouldn't consider any offer less than $1,000 US.
Great save.
Don in SoCal.
Doing the exchange and the grading that would be a pretty close estimate.
Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 6.57.13 AM.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any info on this quarter would be awesome. I just found it tonight just after dark. It was my first find with the Legend.
I guess I'm looking if anyone can tell if it is wide or a narrow zero in the date. Also what's Up with The G. Last any thoughts on the grade. Looks rather nice to me.
Congrats on the great looking quarter, not many are recovered it seems.
The G is different for sure and I'd agree that it's a wide O. Just be really careful on the cleaning, as it will impact the value even more.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the others- that is indeed a rather rare coin in that grade, but any type of additional cleaning could add scratches to it and reduce the value. It's an amazing find, so Big Time Congrats are in order!!

OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I am almost beside myself. Seriously folks? $1,000 quarter? OMG.... Way to cool!

This came from my yard were once stood a school house in 1850. Pulled many a IHP and only one other silver a Canadian dime.

Do you all think this coin a candidate for being sent off to be certified?

I have to go dig up the rest of my yard. That 1877 IHP must be out there also.

Thanks for all the info folks.

I am in shock!!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't clean it. I'd submit it for grading 'as is'.
Don.....
There's the grading service that just slabs it as environmental damaged and sends it back.
There's a few that actually will grade it.
I kind of get mixed up on them.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you all think this coin a candidate for being sent off to be certified?
Yes great find, BANNER really.
I live in Canada dug a lot of holes, there has only ever been a Victorian quarter in just ONE of those holes. A tough find indeed, any date. For comparison I have at least 9 Spanish silver coins for 1700's

As to have it graded, It's your choice, but I would not pay for an opinion especially on a mid grade coin, the market will decide it's worth should you ever decide to sell it. I hate coins in coffins. And it already has some scratches on it, the reverse, no doubt from when it first came out of the ground you gave it a small wipe. Which would "probably" make the grading company to say "cleaned".

To finish cleaning it I would just soak it in some warm water for a few minutes, and brush it with a small paint brush (that will not scratch it, and get the dirt out from around the letters/rim.)

BANNER vote sent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes great find, BANNER really.

I live in Canada dug a lot of holes, there has only ever been a Victorian quarter in just ONE of those holes. A tough find indeed, any date. For comparison I have at least 9 Spanish silver coins for 1700's

As to have it graded, It's your choice, but I would not pay for an opinion especially on a mid grade coin, the market will decide it's worth should you ever decide to sell it. I hate coins in coffins. And it already has some scratches on it, the reverse, no doubt from when it first came out of the ground you gave it a small wipe. Which would "probably" make the grading company to say "cleaned".

To finish cleaning it I would just soak it in some warm water for a few minutes, and brush it with a small paint brush (that will not scratch it, and get the dirt out from around the letters/rim.)

BANNER vote sent.

Hi Rick, Thanks for the banner vote. Not sure I ever had one before. Wow 9 Spanish and 1 Queen Vic. I had no idea it was that hard to come by. It came from my yard in NY and an old school house lot for 1850. Found a few Canadian large cents in my yard too. Good advice on the grading

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here she is all cleaned up, water bath only.
143 years she has been hiding in my yard.
She looks like she was lost at a very young and time and the ground has done her well. Just thinking in 1880 who ever lost her must have been really upset.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 20230507_151807.jpg
    20230507_151807.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230507_151918.jpg
    20230507_151918.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 60

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I found a 1919 Canadian quarter in my backyard a fears ago. Beautiful condition. It’s a nice looking coin.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here she is all cleaned up, water bath only.
143 years she has been hiding in my yard.
She looks like she was lost at a very young and time and the ground has done her well. Just thinking in 1880 who ever lost her must have been really upset.
Thanks for all the help.
Good job! just as I suggested.
It is a real shame that most people have no idea just how rare this coin is to dig, and in THAT condition.
You most likely will not get a banner spot, but believe me IT IS A BANNER find in every sense.
The forum is biased towards US finds, like GW buttons which have seen many on the banner, US plates, again MANY have been on the banner, how many rare Canadian quarters been on the banner, my educated guess is none. What a shame.
I wonder if the other person who mentioned banner actually voted ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread