Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 872
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,015
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 22

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a new member is not why I said I don't think it belongs on the banner, it is because it was found before he joined TreasureNet as a member....

Where would the dividing line be drawn on how long ago an item was found before someone joins TreasureNet to be elligble as a banner find? 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years, 20 years? To be qualified for the banner someone should actually belong to TreasureNet before finding the item, if not there are many members here who could post finds made before joining TreasureNet...... I have more than a few in my artifact collection myself....

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so are you saying there was 54 thousand of theses coins that where minted? if so then it aint a rare coin then ?

There are five die varieties recorded for the 1870-CC half dollars surviving from a mintage of 54,617 coins, or just under 11,000 coins per die pair. Just under 200 examples are believed to exist for all five varieties today.
Louisiana collector Roy Pohler assembled a hoard of 90 pieces that he acquired from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s. Well over half of that hoard graded no better than VG. Only three coins graded AU and no examples from that hoard were Mint State. Details of the 1870-CC half dollar appear in A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Volume II, Carson City Branch Mint by Bill Bugert (2010).
The top half dozen pieces from all sources include two Mint State coins, an AU58 NGC coin, an AU55 PCGS coin, and one or two coins graded AU53. Bugert included a detailed census.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
Being a new member is not why I said I don't think it belongs on the banner, it is because it was found before he joined TreasureNet as a member....

Where would the dividing line be drawn on how long ago an item was found before someone joins TreasureNet to be elligble as a banner find? 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years, 20 years? To be qualified for the banner someone should actually belong to TreasureNet before finding the item, if not there are many members here who could post finds made before joining TreasureNet...... I have more than a few in my artifact collection myself....

I think all would agree. However rules are rules and if other forum rules are bent or over looked then at what rule do you hold above others.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compared to US Minting standards at the time yes pretty rare.
Plus you can also add that cc (Carson City) is a dead mint
green.gif
us.png

green.gif
us.png
May 2012
Jamesville,NY
4 times
Metal Detecting

IMO, it looks to be a braided hair cent and not a coronet cent so that would rule out 1826. So if you definetely see a "7" at the end it would either be an 1847 or an 1857. Let's hope its the '57...because it was issued in a small date and a large date version, the latter being the more valuable. Either way, the '57 is worth almost double the '47. Nice find regardle IMO, it looks to be a braided hair cent and not a coronet cent so that would rule out 1826. So if you definetely see a "7" at the end it would either be an 1847 or an 1857. Let's hope its the '57...because it was issued in a small date and a large date version, the latter being the more valuable. Either way, the '57 is worth almost double the '47. Nice find regardless ... Smokin Joes reply to Zaxfires large cent yesterday :icon_scratch: I never get too involved with these Too New for Banner threads but this one bothers me .... that reply about a toasted date large cent is a more than Good for someone who has to Google info on Carson City because of inexperience with coins . IMO Smokie is all but a stranger to Treasure MDetecting forums , not that it matters . I still appreciate him sharing this coin , just in the future be honest about your knowledge of collectible coins . Kudos go out to T Net for keeping within their Banner guidelines . Bet your glad I am Not a blue thumbs up smilie post number cruncher :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all would agree. However rules are rules and if other forum rules are bent or over looked then at what rule do you hold above others.

Don't know what rules your talking about or what forum..

Someone needs to be a member before they find an item otherwise it opens up a whole new can of worms, especially on where you draw the line. Line is is easy, you need to be a member..... I know of no banner finds ever made by anyone that was ever posted where they found the item before they joined TN.........

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
Don't know what rules your talking about or what forum..

Someone needs to be a member before they find an item otherwise it opens up a whole new can of worms, especially on where you draw the line. Line is is easy, you need to be a member..... I know of no banner finds ever made by anyone that was ever posted where they found the item before they joined TN.........

Yep like I said I think all would agree. Don't stick you head in the sand when it comes to all of the rules of T-Net is also what I meant.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
green.gif
us.png

green.gif
us.png
May 2012
Jamesville,NY
4 times
Metal Detecting

IMO, it looks to be a braided hair cent and not a coronet cent so that would rule out 1826. So if you definetely see a "7" at the end it would either be an 1847 or an 1857. Let's hope its the '57...because it was issued in a small date and a large date version, the latter being the more valuable. Either way, the '57 is worth almost double the '47. Nice find regardle IMO, it looks to be a braided hair cent and not a coronet cent so that would rule out 1826. So if you definetely see a "7" at the end it would either be an 1847 or an 1857. Let's hope its the '57...because it was issued in a small date and a large date version, the latter being the more valuable. Either way, the '57 is worth almost double the '47. Nice find regardless ... Smokin Joes reply to Zaxfires large cent yesterday :icon_scratch: I never get too involved with these Too New for Banner threads but this one bothers me .... that reply about a toasted date large cent is a more than Good for someone who has to Google info on Carson City because of inexperience with coins . IMO Smokie is all but a stranger to Treasure MDetecting forums , not that it matters . I still appreciate him sharing this coin , just in the future be honest about your knowledge of collectible coins . Kudos go out to T Net for keeping within their Banner guidelines . Bet your glad I am Not a blue thumbs up smilie post number cruncher :thumbsup:
No, i'm not very knowledgable about coins. Or at least i wasn't before i found the "CC". But since then, i've bought a few coin books and mags to educate myself. The info i stated about your coin was taken directly from Coin Prices magazine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enforce any and all the rules on TN when I find them being broken right down to language...............

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Jimmy. Normally when coins were minted back in the middle to late 1800's the coin numbers minted were usually, but not always, Several Hundred Thousand.. I'm talking about Half Dollars especially. 54,000 is a low mint number of coins for that year. Since the Carson City mint only minted Silver Half Dollars for about 8 years and was a mint for 23 years it makes coins from CC more valuable. Also another tidbit of pointless fact is that the silver that these coins were minted came from the Comstock Lode. The First MAJOR discovery of Silver ore in the U.S. SO to me that makes this coin special. If i would have found that coin I would care less if it made the banner or not. But to me that coin should be on top SIMPLY because of its low mintage and Value. We are talking a .50 cent piece that is worth probably several Thousand Dollars to a collector. I didn't realize the fellow that found it was a brand new member. Still one heck of a great find with a metal detector.

thanks for the heads up :) coming from the UK i dont know the coinage history about your country thats why i asked :) well done to the finder :)

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece! I found an 1870-cc dollar once but it had an acid hole in it. WTG! Kane 23

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the heads up :) coming from the UK i dont know the coinage history about your country thats why i asked :) well done to the finder :)

I get what you meant, by our coin definitions, it wasn't rare.

I still have no reply on the owners share though:icon_scratch:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
I enforce any and all the rules on TN when I find them being broken right down to language...............

Yes you do and you have proved it. Thank you. Your a good mod. .

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
despite all the other stuff said, about if or not on a banner etc.... congrates on your find, and research, it paid off , and welcome to t-net happy huntinn

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see the reverse. I have seen "SmokinJoe" as a brand new member in a couple other forums with the same photo (Google search it) but no reverse photos. Help me out Joe.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe i'm missing something here. Is there more to this banner thing that i don't know about? Why do you care if a new guy gets banner? Isn't it the find your interested in and not the finder?

Yes, it should be. (And that's a message to the members too LOL). At the end of the day, our most special finds are still our most special...whether or not they're ever on the Finds Banner. But, we all like to see our greatest finds up top. ;)

Oh, and I completely agree about finds banner for members only, not old finds from years ago. What we need here on this forum is the Motivation that the RECENT finds on the banner provide. :)

-Buckles

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely banner!!

what don't you get, it's worthy but never going to happen, unless we drop standards, is that what you prefer? As another new member its a rhetorical question:BangHead:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
ynpto804 said:
I would like to see the reverse. I have seen "SmokinJoe" as a brand new member in a couple other forums with the same photo (Google search it) but no reverse photos. Help me out Joe.

It's on his first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread