Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 872
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,015
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 22

Mississippi

Aug 22, 2005
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Safari, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy smokes, what a find. A BIG congratulations!!!!

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can we move this argument out of today's finds? It does provide good reading material every night though.

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find SmokinJoe, I'm from Central NY too. Elbridge, to be exact. Too bad about the Banner rules. I didn't know about the new member thing either as I'm kinda new here also. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you may find another Banner coin someday by the way it sounds. You're new to TN; but you already know how and where to look and now you're learning about collectability of coins and their values. So TN is a good thing, don't let all this get to you. These old timers are just looking out for the site to keep it "pure" I guess you could say. We live in a good area with good American history, I only wish I was lookin' in the places you are, lol.

As far as sharing with the land owners, it doesn't seem to be an issue here in America. I'd definately give the land owner something if they wanted; but so far at least it isn't a big issue here. We usually only find a few recent silver coins and hardly find any Banner coins. I suppose if it was a large valuable cache or lost treasure things would be different; but there doesn't seem to be any "laws" about. It would just be an agreement between the land owner and yourself and that just doesn't seem to come up often. Most people I've met don't ask for anything. Besides most average finds aren't that valuable anyways. jmho, Dug

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find, an incredible rarity for sure. You are about an hour south of me. I just pulled a 1857 dime in city limits of watertown, in an old school field, no mint mark and not rare, but not easy to find in any respect. The crap is still out there, and the really good crap is out there for those that work for it, in research and in the field, as you have proven. :icon_salut:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Smokes there SmokenJoe, that's one smoken coin you found.:hello2: Too bad we couldn't put it up on the Banner but rules are rules and besides I know that is not why you posted your story.

Stealheadwill suggested sending your story to the MD mags for puplishing which is a great idea, I would also send it in to Garrett and I am sure you would win a Pro Pointer for you find.

WIN A PRO-POINTER! Vaughan Garrett's Favorite Find of the Month

Please post a pic of the coin when it is cleaned.

Thanks for sharing,
ZDD

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find!! Makes me want to break out the detector right now & get out in the fields!!
Congrats!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, That is certainly banner worthy in my book,and I have a SMALL book,regardless, I see it up top even though it isn't!! SUPER dude!!!! God Bless Chris

Arthur Neto

Sep 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X + TinyTec probe
GREAT find! And oh... don't get shot because of jealous comments!! Who would expect pro quality pics from an iPhone?????

I'm very curious about Heritage's response concerning the value! Cheers!!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats........mother Earth can give up some wonderful things.....

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I come in to "Todays Finds" several times a week, I just like the encouragment felt when I see some of the finds. So, I seldom post in here. And, I've voted "Banner" a fair number of times, with out commenting on the find. But, in this case, I can't see how anyone could look at your coin and not comment. Fantastic find!! One of the best I've seen over the past 4 years or so.

As for the "Banner", don't be concerned about it. Like others have said; Rules are rules. It's kind of like my years in Law Enforcement; Like running a red light, there can be no exceptions, otherwise, we would be driving in chaos. (lol)

As for this thread, perhaps they should create a forum for posts with the most comments with-in a 24 hour period. I think that would put you right on top. (lol)

Once again, GREAT FIND!!! I'm sure they would have found me lying in the field with a big grin on my face and the CC clutched tightly in my hand. (lol) Thanks for sharing, and HH.

Eagle

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can we have two clear better photos of the coin please

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, forgot to subscribe to this thread. I just want to see how far it will go. :laughing7: :headbang:

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can we have two clear better photos of the coin please

I'm sorry man, I've already sent the coin to Heritage Auctions. They are suppose to send me some high-res photos. I will post them as soon as i receive the pics.

OP
OP
S

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I at least received an e-mail today confirming that Heritage has gotten the coin. I was sent a couple documents to sign digitally. Unfortunately no real update yet...hasn't been to the grader. But I do know this much:
"Your consignment to the 2012 August 2-3 US Coins Signature Auction- Philadelphia will be held on August 02, 2012 in Philadelphia, PA. The catalog for this auction will be mailed on July 14, 2012. Your settlement check will be mailed September 17, 2012".
So apparantly it's already passed the authenticity test. I really hope it ends up going to NCS as I think it's eye appeal could be enhanced by some type of permissable cleaning. I mean I really did no cleaning to it all, other than a rinse and dry. This coin is not corroded like other coins I've dug....no pitting, or grunge adhered... it's basically just tarnished. ....it would be a shame if this gets no grade but "environmental damage".

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find SmokinJoe, I'm from Central NY too. Elbridge, to be exact. Too bad about the Banner rules. I didn't know about the new member thing either as I'm kinda new here also. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you may find another Banner coin someday by the way it sounds. You're new to TN; but you already know how and where to look and now you're learning about collectability of coins and their values. So TN is a good thing, don't let all this get to you. These old timers are just looking out for the site to keep it "pure" I guess you could say. We live in a good area with good American history, I only wish I was lookin' in the places you are, lol.

As far as sharing with the land owners, it doesn't seem to be an issue here in America. I'd definately give the land owner something if they wanted; but so far at least it isn't a big issue here. We usually only find a few recent silver coins and hardly find any Banner coins. I suppose if it was a large valuable cache or lost treasure things would be different; but there doesn't seem to be any "laws" about. It would just be an agreement between the land owner and yourself and that just doesn't seem to come up often. Most people I've met don't ask for anything. Besides most average finds aren't that valuable anyways. jmho, Dug

"As far as sharing with the land owners, it doesn't seem to be an issue here in America. I'd definately give the land owner something if they wanted;"

It has nothing to do with 'if they wanted'. Its moral integrity.

If a landowner said to me you can keep every coin you find, I would say OK. However, if that coin was worth thousands, I would go back to them & say ' although you said I could keep it, I made shed loads of money & here is your 50% share for allowing me the priviledge of hunting your land' - SIMPLE. If you think ripping off your fellow American is not an issue, than one day I hope they ban you.

Good comes to those that do good. I can tell you we have done well, & its not by ripping off our fellow man. But you do whatever pleases.

Last edited:

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely i vote for BANNER why shouldnt it be