Rare meteorite? Revisiting my find from April of 2015

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In early april of 2015 whille metal detecting for my second time ever I was a quarter mile out in the ocean and just when I was going to give up I found what appears to be a meteorite. Since then i have gotten it tested and found out it is made of Iron, nickel, silver, zinc and rhodium. Still to this day I cannot get a definitive answer on what it is so I am reposting in hopes of someone being able to identify. The top photos are the crust that surrounded the object and the other photos are what popped out when i broke off the crust. It is not magnetic which is strange since its 96%iron. The object sparkles like a diamond in the light which i assume is from the silver and rhodium content. The two analysis readings attached are of the crust and the metallic object itself. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-101030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-101030_Gallery.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210728-101221_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-101221_Signal.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 75
  • asset.jpeg
    asset.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 89
  • asset (1).jpeg
    asset (1).jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 79
  • asset (2).jpeg
    asset (2).jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 94
  • asset (3).jpeg
    asset (3).jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 96
  • asset (4).jpeg
    asset (4).jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 3

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcoe to Tnet

I'm afraid the possibility of this being a meteorite (of any kind) is 'zero'.

Anything as metallic as that would have to be a nickel-iron and there are no meteorites in that class which are anything other than strongly magnetic. There are no exceptions to that rule. I don't know how accurate those analyses might be but (if they are correct) the nickel level is way below the possible range for it to be meteoritic and the silver level way too high,

It is possible for man-made items which contain high levels of native iron to be non-magnetic. Many stainless steels are for example.

What you have there I do not know, but I think it would have to be man-made.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcoe to Tnet

I'm afraid the possibility of this being a meteorite (of any kind) is 'zero'.

Anything as metallic as that would have to be a nickel-iron and there are no meteorites in that class which are anything other than strongly magnetic. There are no exceptions to that rule. I don't know how accurate those analyses might be but (if they are correct) the nickel level is way below the possible range for it to be meteoritic and the silver level way too high,

It is possible for man-made items which contain high levels of native iron to be non-magnetic. Many stainless steels are for example.

What you have there I do not know, but I think it would have to be man-made.

I am not in any way contesting your information on this I am just curious how that’s possible though. The universe is made of every conceivable element know to man and probably many more we are not even aware of. How is it possible that a metallic object that’s not predominantly nickel iron couldn’t be a meteorite?

Common sense would indicate that nearly anything durable enough to make it through the atmosphere could fall to earth...?

Honestly curious.

OP
OP
C

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, either people tell me its absolutely not a meteorite because its not magnetic or its absolutely a meteorite. 9/10 people tell me it absolutely is a meteorite. It has the widmanstatten lines all over it (much easier to see in person) and the crust is not rust its ash and sand that is melted onto indicating to me it came buring into the atmosphere. Plus all the metals in it have been found in meteorites... how could we possibly know every amount of each metal that has to be in a meteorite and how do we know non magnetic iron couldn't be a possibility in the vastness of space? I'm stumped, pictures dont really do it justice...

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but none of this washes. It's not a meteorite and there are sound reasons why its appearance, lack of of magnetic properties, and its composition confirm that to be the case. Unless of course you want to argue that you've found the world's rarest meteorite, with a completely unique composition, which has arisen in a way that doesn't fall within any of the known mechanisms for meteorite formation. It will take some effort on my part to explain the reasons that underpin my assessment.

The opinions of 9/10 people don't count for very much unless those people actually have real experience in the field of meteoritics. I sense that whatever I might try to tell you will fall on deaf ears... so there's one easy way to convince you. I posted details of an expert testing laboratory at the link below, and $30 will get you an answer. You can have two specimens tested for that price.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/meteorites/657859-25lb-stony-iron-meteorite-2.html#post6782430

OP
OP
C

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people that tell me its not a meteor are the people online that all say the same thing as to it not being magnet and has too much or too little of certain metals. I just dont understand this concept I suppose, how couldnt anyone know the exact amount of certain metals that have to be in every rock that came from the endlessness of space. Idk how long this thing was in the ocean prior but it didnt rust like normal iron and when you hold it in person it definitely does not seem from this earth. Its about the size of a golfball but weighs almost a pound 368 grams about 3/4lb the density of it is mindboggling. Also like i said it sparkles like a diamond from the rhodium and silver content. I understand if it is a meteor its extremely rare bc its not magnetic and has rhodium and silver in it but boy does it truly look and feel like something outside of this world especially up close in person pictures do not do it justice at all.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do like Red-Coat said and get it tested at the place he gave you.Then accept the results as good how ever they come back,then you,ll know and if it,s really a meteorite you can come back and say I told you so.If it,s not at least you,ll have the finality of knowing.I,d want to know what it is just because it looks cool!

OP
OP
C

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did polish it quite a bit before this picture, mind you. And im not arguing I actually truly appreciate you and that you took the time out to respond! Thank you for that! I had a rock & gem shop owner hold it, he sells meteorites also and told me its absolutely a meteorite. I had the owner of a shop in nyc that sells meteorites and a meteorite collector tell me its absolutely a meteorite. I had a geologist from The Museum of Natural history tell me its a meteorite (im not saying they are right, im just saying experienced people have seen and held it in person and tell me it is) still no difinitive answer. And yes i suppose it could be one of a kind. Its dense beyond normal standards 3/4 lb at the size of a golfball. It truly is a mindboggling piece. The crust is just as mindboggling that it is a chunk of burnt iron not rusted looking and the sand is melted onto the crust.. weird i guess this will be my own personal mystery for years to come... i will try to take more photos so you can see it sparkle and see the widmanstatten lines that are all over it up close...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to add more photos soon so you can see it in much better detail. I'm going to take them now, also i will get it tested from that link .

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...ChrisBug, buddy, hang around this site and read Red-Coats answers. He is the expert. Whatever you have, it is a neat.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures is a good thing but, by creating them in a new post, you then disjoint any discussion. I have therefore added a link back to this thread on that new post.

I’m sorry, but in your new pictures, those look nothing like Widmanstetten figures. In any case, these patterns (in meteorites) arise from the interwoven lamellar crystallisation of the two nickel-iron alloys kamacite and taenite. Kamacite has a low nickel content compared to taenite.

The nickel content from your analysis is far too low for there be there to be enough taenite to produce such a pattern. Widmanstatten figures do not and cannot form in mixed alloys with low overall nickel content.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sooooo this wasn’t found today after all

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ChrisBug…I urge you not to get pissed off by what I am saying/writing…

relax. Take the object to professionals and post the results. If they are non-conclusive, then they are; if conclusive, then they are. Very simple.

Treasure net.com is filled, I mean FILLED, with experts and arguing a particular point only looks bad for the original poster.

I am looking forward to what the outside professionals have to say about your object.

aj

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
arguments can go on and on here, but usually the OP slinks away when they get an expert opinion that does not back them up. Please DO post your results.

BrianCiemian

May 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread