digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new property in the shenendoah valley. We were hoping to find a new civil war area. After not finding much at first but a few square nails. We started working our way back to the truck. My digging partner yelled "got a bullet". We were lycky enough to dig a few burnside bullets. And then i got a screamer on the Nox solid 33 all the way around the hole. I thought i had some brass so i got very excited. To my suprise this thing popped out . I saw the eagle at first and thought wow i have never seen any civil war badge like this. After a gentle brushing i noticed the swastika and was totally shocked. After some research it turns out it is an Eastern Front Nazi metal from the winter Campaign or the battle of Moscow. These medals were awrded to the soldeirs that participated in that battle By The Furher and the Supreme Counsil . WOW you never know what you will find.
20230427_194748.jpg
20230427_194801.jpg

Attachments

• 20230426_162259.jpg
    20230426_162259.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Upvote 22

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new property in the shenendoah valley. We were hoping to find a new civil war area. After not finding much at first but a few square nails. We started working our way back to the truck. My digging partner yelled "got a bullet". We were lycky enough to dig a few burnside bullets. And then i got a screamer on the Nox solid 33 all the way around the hole. I thought i had some brass so i got very excited. To my suprise this thing popped out . I saw the eagle at first and thought wow i have never seen any civil war badge like this. After a gentle brushing i noticed the swastika and was totally shocked. After some research it turns out it is an Eastern Front Nazi metal from the winter Campaign or the battle of Moscow. These medals were awrded to the soldeirs that participated in that battle By The Furher and the Supreme Counsil . WOW you never know what you will find. View attachment 2080959 View attachment 2080960
Amazing find.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. I dug and posted one of those in August 2019. Mine was from 1941/42. Yours looks to be in better shape. I was as surprised to dig mine as you were. Congrats on a nice save. Makes you wonder how it got there, lost war souvenir?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a really cool recovery, congrats 👏

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get this in the original post but it didn't link up .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230428_225859_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230428_225859_Chrome.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 31

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE FIND !! Thanks for showing us

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rare to find one in the ground in the US but the medal is not rare. You can get one in new condition on eBay for around $25.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I learned something today. I thought the Nazi symbol was always turned 45 degrees from the Hindu version (see my rough sketch).
I had been told the squared version represented Good Luck. Now I see there are some variables. Thanks for posting

Attachments

• 40928B97-7AFB-4462-8B7A-28AA9DAE86C5.jpeg
    40928B97-7AFB-4462-8B7A-28AA9DAE86C5.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 10

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Cool find! Congrats!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I learned something today. I thought the Nazi symbol was always turned 45 degrees from the Hindu version (see my rough sketch).
I had been told the squared version represented Good Luck. Now I see there are some variables. Thanks for posting
When the Nazis first started in the 20s they displayed it square. Later on they turned it on its points. It was a common symbol for good luck before the Nazis polluted it.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned something today. I thought the Nazi symbol was always turned 45 degrees from the Hindu version

When the Nazis first started in the 20s they displayed it square. Later on they turned it on its points. It was a common symbol for good luck before the Nazis polluted it.

Although already in widespread popular use in various forms in Germany after WWI, when the newly-established Nazi party formally adopted the swastika as an emblem in 1920, it was rotated by 45 degrees.

In 1934, after the death of the German president Paul von Hindenburg, Hitler claimed the title of “Führer” (leader) and designed his personal standard with the swastika unrotated. In that form, it was typically displayed at official events when Hitler was actually present, and also on other occasions or for other reasons as a specific tribute to the Führer himself rather than to the Nazi party in general.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Although already in widespread popular use in various forms in Germany after WWI, when the newly-established Nazi party formally adopted the swastika as an emblem in 1920, it was rotated by 45 degrees.

In 1934, after the death of the German president Paul von Hindenburg, Hitler claimed the title of “Führer” (leader) and designed his personal standard with the swastika unrotated. In that form, it was typically displayed at official events when Hitler was actually present, and also on other occasions or for other reasons as a specific tribute to the Führer himself rather than to the Nazi party in general.
Thanks.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new property in the shenendoah valley. We were hoping to find a new civil war area. After not finding much at first but a few square nails. We started working our way back to the truck. My digging partner yelled "got a bullet". We were lycky enough to dig a few burnside bullets. And then i got a screamer on the Nox solid 33 all the way around the hole. I thought i had some brass so i got very excited. To my suprise this thing popped out . I saw the eagle at first and thought wow i have never seen any civil war badge like this. After a gentle brushing i noticed the swastika and was totally shocked. After some research it turns out it is an Eastern Front Nazi metal from the winter Campaign or the battle of Moscow. These medals were awrded to the soldeirs that participated in that battle By The Furher and the Supreme Counsil . WOW you never know what you will find. View attachment 2080959 View attachment 2080960
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions