Rare North Carolina button, confederate?

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 504

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about CW buttons but judging by what has been said by some pretty knowledgeable people you have a very special and rare find . Congratulations

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I have never seen that one before I would definitely not clean it yet. You have plenty of time in the future to clean it later. I regret most of the cleaning I did right away after making a killer find. All I'm saying is cool your jets it's never too late clean it. And by the way congratulations

Upvote 0

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...nice find...In from New Bern too!

Upvote 0

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely awesome! I live in New Bern, and I know Confederate stuff is hard to find here. That piece you found is over the top! Congrats

Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've cleaned a lot of gold guilt buttons using aluminum jelly with similar green corrosion and I am always amazed at how they come out looking. The aluminum jelly makes them look almost non-dug. But given the rarity of this button I would not take any chances on it. I would recommend consulting with a military relic expert like Harry Ridgeway. You can find his information here: The Civil War Relicman, Harry Ridgeway

Congrats on such an amazing find! Keep us posted if you find more information on it.

You have an absolutely outstanding find and I wouldn't do anything to it.

The aluminum and/or naval jelly will work wonders in bringing out the golden guilt but it MAY also adversly discolor the brass.
Here is a Chicago City Police button before & after example (treated with naval jelly) that I found in a street tear-up. . . the brass on the reverse really got dark and it was harder to read the backmark.

CCP-before & after.jpg

Again, wonderful recovery!!

Attachments

• _DSC3264.JPG
    _DSC3264.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a very important and rare NC button and if it were mine I would not dare clean it until I consulted with national experts like William Leigh. I have personally regretted some of the times I have cleaned a rare button. Your button is one of the best I have seen in a long time. No need to rush to clean it! Congrats on a truly spectacular button!
Keith

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you may have an import NC button and if it were mine I would not dare clean it until I consulted with national experts like William Leigh. I have personally regretted some of the times I have cleaned a rare button. Your button is one of the best I have seen in a long time. No need to rush to clean it! Congrats on a truly spectacular button!
Keith
william helped me identify, its worth many thousands, i will ask him about cleaning it

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! And not sure what the banner people are waiting for.

Just for the record, anyone who offers to buy it will say not to clean it.... so they can.

Upvote 0

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I sure hope this button doesn't end up on Craigslist/Charlotte like some Hornets nest (?)button did last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I personally think it looks great as-is and would definitely not try cleaning that one because of it's super value. Especially if you never have intentions of selling it, but cleaning or not is personal preference. I just prefer mine with their nice ground patina.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think it looks great as-is and would definitely not try cleaning that one because of it's super value. Especially if you never have intentions of selling it, but cleaning or not is personal preference. I just prefer mine with their nice ground patina.

That's not patina, it's corrosion which is obstructing what appears to be close to 100% gilt. There's a huge difference.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread