Rare North Carolina button, confederate?

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    350.1 KB · Views: 504
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not much story really, ive been hunting my city of new bern hard the last couple of months and found over 80 silver coins and many civil war buttons, i was running out of old houses to ask so i went to a 1930s house which had thick tall grass and never thought i would find anything but i found this button and figured it wasnt too old or very special, but william at civilwarbuttons.com helped and you all helped me. i also went back to that spot and pounded it, but no more buttons, i love this button not just because of its value but because it was probably a confederate who was or fought with my ancestors

Upvote 0

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm scared to do any cleaning

I know I'm late to the party...but WOW! Congrats! I'm with you...I'd leave it just the way it is...not that it wouldn't clean it up, but that once you do, there's no going back...kind of like refinishing a valuable piece of furniture...I'd at least some folks with more cleaning experience take a look at it before touching it.

GT

Upvote 0

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
I'm adding another Another fruitless banner nod ..this button is incredible. Congratulations, regardless if you get some internet 'banner' icon to hang by your name or not...that is the most remarkable find I've seen in a LONG time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm adding another Another fruitless banner nod ..this button is incredible. Congratulations, regardless if you get some internet 'banner' icon to hang by your name or not...that is the most remarkable find I've seen in a LONG time

i appreciate it, its only 1 of about 5 known to exist

Upvote 0

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find you made! I have found a few CW buttons, mainly when I lived in East Tennessee. None were as nice as you found!!

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW X 10.000

not much story really, ive been hunting my city of new bern hard the last couple of months and found over 80 silver coins and many civil war buttons, i was running out of old houses to ask so i went to a 1930s house which had thick tall grass and never thought i would find anything but i found this button and figured it wasnt too old or very special, but william at civilwarbuttons.com helped and you all helped me. i also went back to that spot and pounded it, but no more buttons, i love this button not just because of its value but because it was probably a confederate who was or fought with my ancestors

What an AWESOME Find & you got larger Stones than me by attempting to clean it.
'Looks good to me tho':icon_thumleft:

You are the second Person I ever said this to , (The first was yesterday)....
'Man, You were born to dig'...

Key words.. "Hunting my city of New Bern hard the last couple months"
"found over 80 Silver Coins and "Many" Civil War Buttons"

Congratulations on a Beautiful & Spectacular Find..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an AWESOME Find & you got larger Stones than me by attempting to clean it.
'Looks good to me tho':icon_thumleft:

You are the second Person I ever said this to , (The first was yesterday)....
'Man, You were born to dig'...

Key words.. "Hunting my city of New Bern hard the last couple months"
"found over 80 Silver Coins and "Many" Civil War Buttons"

Congratulations on a Beautiful & Spectacular Find..:thumbsup:

thank you sir, it is probably just beginners luck, had a good teacher too, shout out to daniel of kinston, nc
oh and most the silvers were mercurys

Upvote 0

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about buttons, but just from reading this I can tell that you found a great one! Great find!

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great find! Not sure why it's not on the banner.

Would love it if you'd be willing to post a before/after photo on my thread in the cleaning and preservation section called "how to clean buttons." It's been a popular thread over the years and I've written several articles on button cleaning and preservation.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/89045-how-clean-buttons.html

its because im a new member i guess, i did post a picture after cleaning it and the before is on the first page of this post

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great find! Not sure why it's not on the banner.

Would love it if you'd be willing to post a before/after photo on my thread in the cleaning and preservation section called "how to clean buttons." It's been a popular thread over the years and I've written several articles on button cleaning and preservation.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/89045-how-clean-buttons.html

the naval jelly worked well, had to dip it about 10 times

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello i wanted thank everybody for the info and comments and to let you know i sold the button for a pretty penny, actually many hundreds of thousands of pennys, you can do the math. to someone who really appreciates it.

Upvote 0

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello i wanted thank everybody for the info and comments and to let you know i sold the button for a pretty penny, actually many hundreds of thousands of pennys, you can do the math. to someone who really appreciates it.
M2W886,6vz2 ff xfć' x f

Upvote 0

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello i wanted thank everybody for the info and comments and to let you know i sold the button for a pretty penny, actually many hundreds of thousands of pennys, you can do the math. to someone who really appreciates it.[/Q UOTE]

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread