What's new

Rattle snake question

junglejim

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
52
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I was watching an old cowboy movie recently and the cowboy put his bedroll on the ground getting ready to sack out. He then uncoiled his rope and laid it on the ground in a circle around his sleeping area. He said this would keep out any snakes as a snake would not crawl across the rope.

Is this really true?
 
Never heard of that before..........interesting ??? That would be a good challenge for the Mythbusters, though ;D
 
Actually, that discussion was on the forum some time back. I don't remember what presented evidence was, pro or con.
 
junglejim said:
I was watching an old cowboy movie recently and the cowboy put his bedroll on the ground getting ready to sack out. He then uncoiled his rope and laid it on the ground in a circle around his sleeping area. He said this would keep out any snakes as a snake would not crawl across the rope.

Is this really true?

Did you watch that on true grit ?, Great Movie.
I can't imagine a snake having a problem crossing a rope, I have seen them go through some pretty rough terrain with no problem.

Nova Treasure
 
It was believed to be true for many years, but actually a snake will go to the heat of your body if it is cold enough. A snake will cross rocks, go in and out of cactus and across hot sand. A grass rope will not stop it. Rope or no rope you could end up with an unwelcome guest in the sleeping bag with you.
 
I wouldn't trust that silliness to keep a rattler outta my fart sack!

That is definitely a load.

I've seen them crawl up close to vertical rock/dirt faces, a rope :laughing7: :laughing7: is no problem for them to crawl over.
 
ThTx said:
It was believed to be true for many years, but actually a snake will go to the heat of your body if it is cold enough. A snake will cross rocks, go in and out of cactus and across hot sand. A grass rope will not stop it. Rope or no rope you could end up with an unwelcome guest in the sleeping bag with you.


[/quote

Myth is a braided horsehair rope...

There is an old Indian method for chapped lips...lift a horses tail, stick your finger in and apply to your lips...medical research found that this did not work either...although it did keep the rider from licking his lips... :coffee2:
 
The only thing a Rattler won't go over is a Black snake, the Black snake will eat the Rattler, I have seen it myself....HH
 
I know ants won't cross a line of flour, but I've never seen something like rope keep a snake from not going where it wants to go.
 
I've also heard this claimed. My old boss who lived out in Arizona always kept a water hose laying across his back yard because he said the rattlers wouldn't cross it. I think he was blowing smoke to be honest. But who knows? If you are sleeping out in the desert, what do you have to lose?
 
nova treasure said:
junglejim said:
I was watching an old cowboy movie recently and the cowboy put his bedroll on the ground getting ready to sack out. He then uncoiled his rope and laid it on the ground in a circle around his sleeping area. He said this would keep out any snakes as a snake would not crawl across the rope.

Is this really true?

Did you watch that on true grit ?, Great Movie.
I can't imagine a snake having a problem crossing a rope, I have seen them go through some pretty rough terrain with no problem.

Nova Treasure
I think it was True Grit.
 
mts said:
I've also heard this claimed. My old boss who lived out in Arizona always kept a water hose laying across his back yard because he said the rattlers wouldn't cross it. I think he was blowing smoke to be honest. But who knows? If you are sleeping out in the desert, what do you have to lose?

Thanks for making up my mind about sleeping out in the desert. What if, just thinking out loud here, what if I sprinkled some snake food(?) around my buddies sleeping bag? Then when he yelled I could get in the truck. Works for me.
BB
 
I have heard that moth balls will repel snakes?
 
Hello Jungle Jim,

The theory behind this Rattlesnake proof snoring ring is that the Rattle snakes are afraid of King snakes, and rightly so as the King snake will eat a Rattlesnake. When a Rattlesnake sees the rope, it doesn't take any chances, and avoids it, as it could be a King snake.

Some people think a snake just uses it's tongue to guide it's self, but they also have eyes, at least the ones I've seen. I don't think the color of the rope really matters, as King snakes come in a variety of colors. The most popular King snake in my area are the Blue Indigo, which is black, then there is one that is black with yellow, and there is the Milk snake which kind of resembles a Coral snake.

I also used to trade snakes, and have handled hundreds. When I would put a small King snake with a bunch of big Rattlesnakes, they would get out of it's way pronto quick. I'm not sure if this trick works or not, but it does have a lot going for it.

Homar P. Olivarez
 
I've heard that story about the rope. My son is a herpetologist, so we threw a rope in with a timber rattler he had and it didn't seem to make much difference to the snake. Rattlesnakes are nocturnal, so they do a lot of hunting at night, and I do not know of one person who has had one wind up in his bedroll over night, except for Lucas McCain in that one episode of 'The Rifleman' on the TV. I have slept on the ground many times in rattlesnake country and never worried about them. I did watch out for copperheads and moccasins when near water though. Related, they are both very territorial and will come right over and check you out. I think you have more to worry about rattlers while out on the trail. Remember this, first guy gets their attention, second guy p*sses them off, and the third guy gets bit. Even if you're alone, always try to be the first guy.
 
The Rope thing could have merrett but I don't think I want to test it out.

Assuming the Rope smelled of horse it may work..

I did wake up one time in Arizona go to roll up my bag and found a 3ft rattler under it.

I guess it just wanted to snuggle. LOL!
 
I'll call B.S. on this one.
RGINN, I'm always first to the dinner table. That count?
Flip Flop
 
coazon de oro said:
Hello Jungle Jim,

The theory behind this Rattlesnake proof snoring ring is that the Rattle snakes are afraid of King snakes, and rightly so as the King snake will eat a Rattlesnake. When a Rattlesnake sees the rope, it doesn't take any chances, and avoids it, as it could be a King snake.

Some people think a snake just uses it's tongue to guide it's self, but they also have eyes, at least the ones I've seen. I don't think the color of the rope really matters, as King snakes come in a variety of colors. The most popular King snake in my area are the Blue Indigo, which is black, then there is one that is black with yellow, and there is the Milk snake which kind of resembles a Coral snake.

I also used to trade snakes, and have handled hundreds. When I would put a small King snake with a bunch of big Rattlesnakes, they would get out of it's way pronto quick. I'm not sure if this trick works or not, but it does have a lot going for it.

Homar P. Olivarez

Good post about the king snake. It will eat any poisonous snake and they are immune to the venom. Problem is people do not know the difference between a King Snake or a Black Snake. :laughing7:
 
That rope trick is probably ,more of a prayer technique than anything else. Snakes are aware and sometimes some prayer type energy with keep them at bay.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom