Rattle snakes things to know

Oct 8, 2004
Ferris Texas
I was at the cave site of Sam Bass last month, I was doing a little digging and I got tired, I started looking for another way in , not paying too much attition for snakes I almost got bit by a very large rattler, now I have been close befor to being bit, and know the sound of a rattler, but this was a very large one, the sound this large rattler omitted was a very slow and a very low pitch sound and I did hear it in time, the larger the snake the slower he rattles and the lower the sound is, the younger ones give a very high pitch and a very fast sound. after thought was it was a cool day,but that snake fought me for about 10 mins. and was very fast after me, so the cool day was not the answer, it was the size and the age of the snake, but the most important thing that learned that day was alyways stay up hill from a rattle snake, I found out that he cant move as fast up hill after me, if I had been down hill from him he would have bit me for sure for he was the most agressive snake that I have ever encounter. Txtreasuerhunter

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
Txtreasurehunter,? rattlesnakes are hard to spot this time of the year because they blend in with their surroundings.? They do not do much hibernation as such down here in South Texas...always a possibility of encountering one on a warm winter day.? Many times they will not sound a warning, always use caution when in an area known for having an abundance of rattlesnakes.? As you found out, they can be very aggressive and ill tempered.? Kelley (Texas) :)

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Wow, don't have many in Ohio. Although I have heard of people seeing them on occasion. How are they at climbing trees? It's amazing how fast you can move when you REALLY need to!

Thanks
Dudes

C

cachenut

They chase you?

To say again: They chase you? I thought they just ran away.

The last one I saw was really big and when I played with it with my 6 foot stick it struck once but then just crawled away. Not much to it really. I figured unless you stepped on one it would not bother you.

They are fast and chase you? This guy was slow.

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
The potency of the venom diminishes with age, it's the venom of the young ones that you need to worry about. While Wisconsin isn't known for a lot of venomous snakes, they are here. Timber rattlers are not unusual along the bluffs of the Mississippi River. I killed a water moccasin here once, and a 3 year old boy died from the bite of a coral snake.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get too close to any poisonous snake. This is what a rattler did to one guys arm.
If you get bit, the area will swell up like a baloney sausage. This is gross, so don't scroll down if you don't want to see it.

Attachments

• Rattlesnake Bite.jpg
    Rattlesnake Bite.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 58,468

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Must have pissed him off good to chase after you. Not at all common, but it happens, usually after playing with it!
They can be VERY fast on un-even terrain, and especially in small bush where we are at a huge dis-advantage.
I have seen them eight -ten feet high in a mesquite tree battling a pair of birds. They are beautiful swimmers. They can climb a stone wall with ease. I have seen them very frustrated when I'm trying to catch one, so frustrated they start striking in all directions.

Usually, if they hit something that is not flesh they wont try it again, to preserve the teeth.

I walked up on a huge one that stood his ground. He let out a hiss that sound as load and long as a truck tire deflating! I couldn't even pin point where the heck he was till I inadvertently took one more step towards him, then he coiled and rattled. Big, big snake.

Ohio would have Eastern Diamondbacks, longer and lighter, and not nearly as ornery as the Westerns.
The venom strength varies between species of rattlers, but the big worry is that the young ones can't yet control releasing as well as the old ones. It can take weeks to refill, so they almost always hit 'dry' the first time, and load up if they need tell you again!

My son was the third in a line crossing a log and got nailed good by a 3-4' teenager. We were a half mile from the truck, and an hour on a four-wheel road to a small, reservation 'town'. Help would have been several hours. Luckily, to say the least, the bite was dry and swelled very little. No rattle, no warning till after he hit.

Here in AZ, winter can be trouble on a warm, sunny day, They are out of the den, and hunting.

I usually make extra noise poking around where I am concerned till get them to leave or rattle. I have had them rattle from 25 yards away, or flush and run without any sound. The vast majority leave un noticed.

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
Always remember that as a general rule of thumb, a snake can strike a distance of half its length. This means if a snake is six feet long it could hit you from a distance of three feet. I have caught and eaten 6' Eastern Diamondbacks. Give them a wide berth. Its wise to carry some sort of walking stick and "fish" the ground in front of you before stepping. It makes for slow going but the alternative is much slower!!!

Snakes are cold blooded and need to warm up in the sun in order to bring themselves to full operating temp. don't let this fool you! Although in the late fall I have picked them up like sticks, in the early spring, they can be very tempermental and just plain nasty!

Wallycoz

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
My rule of thumb is to avoid rattlesnakes when possible.? If I encounter one in the yard, at the barn or at a camp site, I will kill it in order to insure the safety of family members, pets, or live stock.? If I encounter a rattlesnake while out in the fields, I try to leave it alone if possible.? Most of the time, if left alone, they will retreat into the brush, but once in a while, you will run across an aggressive one...which should be killed.? Personally, I have found water moccasins around stock tanks to be a bigger problem than a rattlesnake.? Most water moccasins are aggressive and will charge in your direction if they think that you are a threat to them.? Kelley (Texas) :)?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Rattlesnakes? Make a snake loop and catch `em!

wallycoz said:
Give them a wide berth. Its wise to carry some sort of walking stick and "fish" the ground in front of you before stepping. It makes for slow going but the alternative is much slower!!!

I've made some nice snake loops for that purpose--not the cheesy kind made of a broomstick and string. You can make 6 of them for about $25. Here's what you need to buy:

3 10' lengths of 1/2" electrical conduit
1 10' length of 3/4" electrical conduit
1 100' roll of flat antenna cable (Radio Shack has this)
A few rolls of electrical tape

Cut the 1/2" conduit into 5' lengths.
Cut the 3/4" conduit into 18" lengths (you should get 6 pieces, with a short length left over)
Slip the 3/4" conduit over one end of the 1/2" conduit. This is used as a handle to control the size of the loop.
Without cutting the antenna cable, unroll about 13-15', bend it in the middle and feed the cable through the 1/2" conduit until the loop appears at the other end, and is the desired size. I like about a 4" loop.
Pull the 3/4" conduit back until the back end is flush with the end on the 1/2" conduit.
With the desired loop size in place on the far end, cut the antenna cable so that you have about 18" on either side of the conduit to play with.
Cut the cable and bend it over the 3/4" conduit. Secure it down with some electrical tape.
Now cut about 6"-8" of antenna cable from the main roll. Slide it through the loop and bend it over the 1/2" conduit. Secure that with some electrical tape. This is your backer that keeps the snake's head from getting cut on the bare conduit.
Use the electrical tape to solidly wrap the antenna cable on the backer and the 3/4" handle.
Run some electrical tape around the middle of the 1/2" conduit so you can grip it with your other hand (conduit can be greasy).
You now have a snake loop that can be used to catch snakes, or throttle them until they are dead and ready to skin and eat.

By increasing the size of the loop you can also make it so it is suitable for catching rabid cats or unruly children, or even snagging that hard to reach treasure. Just remember that if the loop is too big the handle/loop control will slide off the back of the main conduit. Another function of the back stop on the loop end is to keep the cable from sliding back into the main conduit. If you make a big loop, increase the length of the 3/4" conduit as needed. You can also make shorter snake loops for kids (if you're afraid of snakes), or longer snake loops for those hard to reach spots.

I think rattlesnake brings in about $3/lb. in Texas. Not treasure, but it could pay for the fuel it takes to drive to your favorite treasure hunting spot.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Hey Mid-

It's a good thing you put in hooking up some treasure with your snake loop or all this fun would be WAY off topic!

I way prefer a single hook, my dad uses tongs for the ones in the yard all backed in under something.

Might as well give a treasure of a snake catchin tip. I use pantie hose. Bunch them up in a ball and tie them up good on the end on a long, strong stick. (removing ex-wife first is optional)

Stick this in the snakes face to incite a strike, then lift that sucker up by the fangs! If your not comfortable unhooking it with your hand, the snake will do it alright once settled.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Living in Texas I have step on a few rattle snakes, Luckley I have not been struck yet. The last one I killed with a shovel. The most important thing to remeber is that even though you have shot or crushed one they can still struck you due to the way there nerves are set up. I have heard of many istances where people are struck by the reflexes of a dead snake. I have seen with the last one I killed with the shovel the head try to strike after being cut off. Be carefull two of the ones I stepped on were after it rained when the temperatures had fallen during the night and the snakes were cold they gave no warning of any kind. I suggest investing in some good snake leggins from cabelas remeber if you use them once they payed for them selves.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Jonster said:
It's a good thing you put in hooking up some treasure with your snake loop or all this fun would be WAY off topic!

If Kirk Douglas had one of these in "There Was a Crooked Man" he would have got the loot out of the rattlesnake hole and out of the bag without getting bit and killed. Of course, he didn't know it was in the bag when he opened it, but that's just stupidity. Man, I hate getting bit in the neck by rattlesnakes...

S

shamre

Re: Rattlesnakes? Make a snake loop and catch `em!

MiddenMonster said:
wallycoz said:
Give them a wide berth.? Its wise to carry some sort of walking stick and "fish" the ground in front of you before stepping.? It makes for slow going but the alternative is much slower!!!?

I've made some nice snake loops for that purpose--not the cheesy kind made of a broomstick and string.? You can make 6 of them for about $25.? Here's what you need to buy:

3 10' lengths of 1/2" electrical conduit
1 10' length of 3/4" electrical conduit
1 100' roll of flat antenna cable (Radio Shack has this)
A few rolls of electrical tape

Cut the 1/2" conduit into 5' lengths.
Cut the 3/4" conduit into 18" lengths (you should get 6 pieces, with a short length left over)
Slip the 3/4" conduit over one end of the 1/2" conduit.? This is used as a handle to control the size of the loop.
Without cutting the antenna cable, unroll about 13-15', bend it in the middle and feed the cable through the 1/2" conduit until the loop appears at the other end, and is the desired size.? I like about a 4" loop.?
Pull the 3/4" conduit back until the back end is flush with the end on the 1/2" conduit.
With the desired loop size in place on the far end, cut the antenna cable so that you have about 18" on either side of the conduit to play with.
Cut the cable and bend it over the 3/4" conduit.? Secure it down with some electrical tape.
Now cut about 6"-8" of antenna cable from the main roll.? Slide it through the loop and bend it over the 1/2" conduit.? Secure that with some electrical tape.? This is your backer that keeps the snake's head from getting cut on the bare conduit.
Use the electrical tape to solidly wrap the antenna cable on the backer and the 3/4" handle.
Run some electrical tape around the middle of the 1/2" conduit so you can grip it with your other hand (conduit can be greasy).
You now have a snake loop that can be used to catch snakes, or throttle them until they are dead and ready to skin and eat.

By increasing the size of the loop you can also make it so it is suitable for catching rabid cats or unruly children, or even snagging that hard to reach treasure.? Just remember that if the loop is too big the handle/loop control will slide off the back of the main conduit.? Another function of the back stop on the loop end is to keep the cable from sliding back into the main conduit.? If you make a big loop, increase the length of the 3/4" conduit as needed.? You can also make shorter snake loops for kids (if you're afraid of snakes), or longer snake loops for those hard to reach spots.

I think rattlesnake brings in about $3/lb. in Texas.? Not treasure, but it could pay for the fuel it takes to drive to your favorite treasure hunting spot.

Do you have a picture for us of one of these things?

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
That pic looks like he was hit by one of the nasty western rattlers---on the east coast a rattler here generally would not make you swell up enough to have the relief incisions cut into the arm like that. If ya ever get the chance there is a tv show called venom ER (think it is on the learning channel or something like that) it can give you a whole new repect for snakes---havent had rattlesnake soup since i was a kid

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
To all Concerned:
I have been out in the deserts and Mnts!
For many, many, 'a year!
I have been, several times, as close as 6", ? ?:o? unknowlingly!,? from a "Rattler"!
Have never had one strike at me !
I leave them COMPLETELY ALONE!!
After all!
It's their home!
I will gladly give them the right a way!? ;D
AND!/OR!
I will walk around them!? ?:P
Since I am back in there! Very Remote areas, ALONE!
'bout 97% of the time, & with only? "Duke" as a companion
AND! He doesn't? drive!
One bite would mean! No More Cptbil! !
BUT!
AND! ? Here's? something? to? PONDER!
There is NOW!? ?A? Rattlesnake Vaccine
Costs about $20 a shot !
Complete protection!
? ::) FOR YOUR DOG! ? ?::)
HAY! How's about one for, "us" people types? ?

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
Hello Cptbil,? if you have been within 6" of a rattlesnake several times and not been bitten, I would say that you have been very lucky.? You are correct in that it is best to just leave them alone.? Kelley (Texas)? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread