Rattle snakes things to know

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend sent me that and I think he said its was near Currie on 93. Anyway It could be duplicated anywhere up there! I was up on the Indian reservation near Tippet and was out detecting one cool AM near some old mines and flipped over a sheet of Tin roofing to detect were it was laying, well there was at least 25 rattlers laying under it trying to stay warm. Needless to say I think I made the first 100 yards still in the air!!
Look out when its cool!!

Old Prospector

Feb 17, 2005
Snakes? Yah, they are around most any place you will find good treasure. I learned
from my older sister that a good, sharp hoe will cut them into pieces pretty fast. So,
I use a hoe as a walking stick, flung out in front of me, to get their attention. Like
some of you, if he goes his way, I will go mine; but he better be ready to back down
first. Also, there were some very interesting articles in Outdoor Life Mag. years ago about
treating snake bite with electricity. Anyone read them? Seems that high voltage, low
current will break down the complex proteins that make up venom. One suggestion
was the spark from the plug of an engine (car, boat, truck, whatever...) Maybe some
day I will go back to Texas to TH, then the snakes better find a place to hide. he he.
And snakes will really be a problem in the small bushes with berries when the berries
are ripe; the snakes are after the birds. Watch those huckle berry patches.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
just keep a 22? with ya and some rat shot works wonders on snakes at close ranges and less loud than bigger guns and less expensive to shoot,tammahawk ;D

C

Capt. Buzzkill

RATTLER INFO:
If you need to "work" an area...you need to kill them. Period. They are territorial until the food supply runs out. Any shotgun splatters them nicely with buck or birdshot. If your just walking enroute to a place...you can do ecofriendly thing and let them go and everyone is happy. They are shy and will split before you come stomping by.
Usually adult rattlers will not "wet bite"...meaning with venom injection. They won't use the venom unless it is a for sure food source to disable prey. Baby rattlers do not know the difference and "wet bite" all the time. If bit, do not mess around with snake bite kits and such...get to a hospital with pit viper anti-venon asap. You will NOT die...just screws up your day with some of that neurotoxin in you. Know where hospital is...and route to it before any dig as a back up.
And yes...they are not bad eating....just pan fry them with batter like a fish...ummmmmmmm.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RATTLER INFO:
If you need to "work" an area...you need to kill them. Period. They are territorial until the food supply runs out. Any shotgun splatters them nicely with buck or birdshot. If your just walking enroute to a place...you can do ecofriendly thing and let them go and everyone is happy. They are shy and will split before you come stomping by.
Usually adult rattlers will not "wet bite"...meaning with venom injection. They won't use the venom unless it is a for sure food source to disable prey. Baby rattlers do not know the difference and "wet bite" all the time. If bit, do not mess around with snake bite kits and such...get to a hospital with pit viper anti-venon asap. You will NOT die...just screws up your day with some of that neurotoxin in you. Know where hospital is...and route to it before any dig as a back up.
And yes...they are not bad eating....just pan fry them with batter like a fish...ummmmmmmm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A) Right on buzz, they are good eating, so only blow the head off if you have to kill one.? ?I never bother them in the bush , they perform a? very useful function, without them we would be overrun with rodent life quickly.? The associated deseases prob. kill or disable more people tnat? the all of the pit vipers put together.? ?I have eaten many Iguanas in the Jungles also.

Jose de La Mancha? ( I tilt windmills)

bone_crush_n

Aug 25, 2005
hey I was wondering if you ever found anything the cave in Cedar Hill, Texas. I was hoping to talk more about the area. My uncle told me about a cave in Cedar Hill, Texas (about 10min. from where I live) that they found probably about 25 years ago and was already caved in with dirt. He told me one detail that would insure that your find and his story match. I would like to help if your interested, all claims being yours. It the thrill of the hunt for me. I'm going out tomarrow to scope the area where he claims to have seen the cave and look around for marks if any.

Thanks,

Tim

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What drives me nuts is the fact that the environmentalist have been able to get the government to put rattlesnakes on the endangered list.

I have prospected for years around Mojave Green Rattlers in the Arizona desert and they are the meanest, nastiest snakes I have ever come across.

I have had them strike at me without ever shaking a rattle prior to striking.

So if and when run across one.

Whether it rattles or just wants to shake maracas while doing the macarena. 8)

Protected or not

If I see a snake. It's dead. >:(

BTW

Did you know that next to the banana, the overly protected Desert Tortoise is natures perfect food. :P

It comes with it's own cooking pot, which then can be used for a bowl and it has built in spoon holders. ;D

And of course it taste just like Spotted Owl or did it taste like chicken? I get those two mixed up. ???

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,708
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,689
  • zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,695
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,652
  • zzzzz.jpg
    zzzzz.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,646
Z

ZumbroKid

Send in some hogs first they eat rattle snakes, the hog is the only animal that a rattle snake can not hurt with it's bite. Large folks are also at less risk of dying from their bites.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A souvenir from an Eastern Diamondback.
BTW they are good swimmers.

Old Prospector, I heard the same story about electric high voltage. Yes, I would grab a spark plug wire before heading to the hospital.

Attachments

• MVC-011E.JPG
    MVC-011E.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 2,624
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=cptbil
Since returning from Vietnam, I haven't killed anything!? ::)
I'll even walk around/over a centipede/scorpion !

A) You too Bill? I do, and have, made an exception with human vermin trying to do me or mine in though. In the case of animals it is generally with regret or necessity. My tiger gets a kick out of watching me hoist a spider or scorpion back out to the garden instead of "splat". Same goes for plants, sigh, just a softie I guess, but I appreciate "all" forms of life, even yours ! hehehe...

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

S

stefen

FYI

There is a pygmy variety of Timber rattler from Catalina Island (Channel island 26 miles from Long Beach) that has no rattles and according to a report from the San Diego Zoo, they are known to climb trees.

There is a similar dwarf Timber Rattler variety in northern California in the 'Lost Coast' area.

Here is a partial quote from one of the articles: "There are 84 species and subspecies of rattlesnakes in the world. Of those species Arizona has the most species at 17.

The Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, is the largest species (The Western Diamondback Rattlesnake being a close second.) The Pygmy Rattlesnake is the smallest species and grows to about between 15 to 22 inches in length.

Rattlesnakes evolved rattles as audible warnings to protect themselves from herds of heavy-footed mammals, like buffalo. At least one rattlesnake, that we are aware of, has no rattle. The Santa Catalina Island rattlesnake has lost its rattle completely. since it climbs bushes to catch birds, a rattle would betray its presence while it ascends a tree in search of its prey."

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I do not kill any snakes, Unless I am going to eat it. Here in Eastern Kentucky the people kill every snake that they see. As far as venomous snakes go we have two. The timber rattler,extremely aggressive and the copperhead also aggressive. When in the woods carry a walking stick the vibration of you moving briar's and things out of your way will scare the snakes away. Allways step on top of logs then over, As snakes like to hunt rodents under old logs. Most impotently use COMMON SENSE! Good luck.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
You Know, from all of this, "I carry a shotgun", I use a "etc", "etc" !
When I am out in the field, on a "Day Hike/Recon", remember, I live out there for months!
I sometimes, wished that I didn't have to carry even my "Trusty Walking Staff" !
AND! It has saved my Butt, several times from severe injury !
Not! that it's that heavy,
But when I am scrambling up a cliff face/over a boulder or something similar!
I sure Don't have any spare room, to drag along some long, heavy, clumsy gun!
Or!
Anything, remotely in that category!
I very, very, seldom even carry even a hunting knife....
In those Mountains ......
Every ounce is DEAD Weight! :-\
AND!
Then! There's always, the critical loss of balance to consider!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we're telling snake stories......Did you ever know me to not have a story? Two falls ago we started finding copper heads in our hunting camp. A small wet weather creek runs nearby. We found that the snakes were migrating from the hills down to the creek when it started drying up. When the small pools evaporated the snakes would catch minnows stranded. We started hunting them since they were infesting our hunting camp and in two months we killed over a hundred copper heads, about 20 water moccasins and two rattle snakes, all eating the stranded minnows. We haven't had a snake problem since, but we have seen more this spring than right after our hunt.
The copper head snakes are the villians around here. You know moccasins will be around the water, rattle snakes usually around the rocks, but the copper heads wind up just about anywhere. Monty

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dennis,
Was he as big as that one you killed in Vance?
That was a big one.
Regards,
Steve

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
I have almost stepped on dozens of rattlers around here. One day I was near this bluff hunting and I saw 3 snakes, they didnt do nuthin to me, but then I was leaving and i climbed over the barb wire fence and when my feet touched the ground, i hear a loud slow rattle. I didnt know I could jump that high, but i had hopped over this barb wire fence without even touching it....
When I was a kid, i caught 12 baby rattlers up the hill from my house.
Usually they warn me before hand cause im swinging the detector

J

J@J salvors

Here in the virgin islands I have found many snakes
The guide book says no snakes live on the island They are wrong
We have a top ten most venomus snake here called something like a water snake
I dont remember right now They live on the reefs and shorelines and are verry aggressive
we get less than one tourist a year bitten they dont like crouds in the water
so no matter what guide book says ask a local is the best way to find things out
We also have a lot of scorpions and giant spiders. bannana spiders are the most horrible here they get really big
We also have the trap door type spider Watch where you dig and carry a probe
You dont want to find a spanish cobb and reach for it and have a spider think you are food and bite
Good Hunting all
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread