The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from my annual, rainy season diamond hunt at the Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas. I found this white diamond just under 2 carats. It was a great, rainy season this year!

20170428_231844.jpg

Upvote 28

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!! Sweet find. I'm just curious, because I'm no diamond expert: but what is a raw diamond worth (if you were to sell one) ? I'm just curious ;) nice find bud!!

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Sweet find. I'm just curious, because I'm no diamond expert: but what is a raw diamond worth (if you were to sell one) ? I'm just curious ;) nice find bud!!

Thank you sweetie! :wink: It all depends on the 4 Cs - Carat, Cut, Color and Clarity and prices can vary IMMENSELY on these factors and raw ones go for less until they are cut and graded. For example The Strawn-Wagner Diamond found at the Crater of Diamonds was over 3 carats in the raw and it was cut to a little over a carat and graded as a perfect diamond (like 1 in a billion) and is worth over $100,000. Another of the same size and cut could be worth less than $1,000 or even $500 due to its color and clarity. 5 carat ones than aren't top grade can still go for $40,000. However I have fallen in love with raw diamonds and some of them are beautiful uncut. I would only cut them if they are of the highest quality myself as you often lose up to half of the diamond in the cutting process. Raw diamonds are also definitely gaining more popularity as well. The Crater of Diamonds is the 8th largest, known, diamond bearing crater in the world. The quality of the diamonds are the same as the ones found in Africa and they are even harder. They actually sell for a bit higher because they are not commercially mined so they're not as abundant and collectors like the ones from the U.S. :usflag:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

I am a fan of the rough / raw as well.

Except in women. :P ... :)

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. My brother only lives an hour or so from that place. I think I need to visit him more often. My wife and I were going to stop there once on our way to Oklahoma, but it turns out tornadoes decided to invade the area that day. We figured it best just to get to our destination.

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! I've been down there three times. The last visit was in a hurry so my boys and I took out three buckets of concentrates to sort through. We still need to sort through them.....Lots of fun.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, that's super cool. :hello2: I've always wanted to do the CoD park.
I too, like the raw diamonds, I think janet or jenifer Anniston girl, wore a long raw diamond necklace and it was just beautiful!
I image googled "raw diamond necklace", beautiful pieces along with a few ideas on how to encase the single diamonds to wear and enjoy.
Keep finding them and thanks for sharing! GL & HH! :icon_thumleft:

rawdiamondcube.jpg

I thought this one looked pretty unique......

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TQ!! Very Nice Find!! By the way, how is the ole Mud Pit?? Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

usinadi

Mar 9, 2015
Stilwell, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350; Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your diamond!!! I live in northeast Oklahoma and have wanted to go there since my dad had mentioned it years back when he was alive...he was into metal detecting and prospecting...Congrats again!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that sweet diamond. I'm curious how many hours you put in to find that?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and I have always wanted to get down to Crater of Diamonds to hunt, but as of yet we haven't made the time. Maybe sometime in the future. Congrats on a great stone.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sweetie! :wink: It all depends on the 4 Cs - Carat, Cut, Color and Clarity and prices can vary IMMENSELY on these factors and raw ones go for less until they are cut and graded. For example The Strawn-Wagner Diamond found at the Crater of Diamonds was over 2 carats in the raw and it was cut to a carat and graded as a perfect diamond (like 1 in a billion) and is worth over $100,000. Another of the same size and cut could be worth less than $1,000 or even $500 due to its color and clarity. 5 carat ones than aren't top grade can still go for $40,000. However I have fallen in love with raw diamonds and some of them are beautiful uncut. I would only cut them if they are of the highest quality myself as you often lose up to half of the diamond in the cutting process. Raw diamonds are also definitely gaining more popularity as well. The Crater of Diamonds is the 8th largest, known, diamond bearing crater in the world. The quality of the diamonds are the same as the ones found in Africa and they are even harder. They actually sell for a bit higher because they are not commercially mined so they're not as abundant and collectors like the ones from the U.S. :usflag:
Ok we get that, but it didn't really answer the exam question.
How much is yours worth in your opinion?

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....So , what are your "tools of the trade" ?
Fun !

Custom made screen sets that fit nicely into each other with rounded corners for dry sifting, custom made sarucas with rounded bottoms for sluicing, 2 shovels one with a pick on the back, heavy duty hand rake and shovel, large rake, magnifying glass, diamond tester, Olight Javelot tactical flashlight, UV light, wheeled cart, buckets, waterproof pants and jacket, rain boots, Kavu Chiliba hat and my RayBans. 8-)

Normally I would also have a firearm with me because there are poisonous snakes there such as copperheads, diamond backs and rattlers but since it is a State Park you can't take them in with you. I do always carry when I search for diamonds in Colorado and Wyoming as there are plenty of poisonous snakes there also and some not too friendly animals as well. Diamonds | Colorado Geological Survey

My Favorite Crater S.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. My brother only lives an hour or so from that place. I think I need to visit him more often. My wife and I were going to stop there once on our way to Oklahoma, but it turns out tornadoes decided to invade the area that day. We figured it best just to get to our destination.

You and your wife really should visit your brother more often and the Crater. You'd save a fortune on Motels that aren't even that great for their price. ::)

I would be that crazy person going out there during a tornado thinking of all that volcanic soil that it would stir up, if they would let me? Lol! :laughing9:

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, that's super cool. :hello2: I've always wanted to do the CoD park.
I too, like the raw diamonds, I think janet or jenifer Anniston girl, wore a long raw diamond necklace and it was just beautiful!
I image googled "raw diamond necklace", beautiful pieces along with a few ideas on how to encase the single diamonds to wear and enjoy.
Keep finding them and thanks for sharing! GL & HH! :icon_thumleft:

View attachment 1452199

I thought this one looked pretty unique......

Thank you! That is absolutely gorgeous! :love4: I love the custom and unique settings that raw diamonds can be set it.

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that sweet diamond. I'm curious how many hours you put in to find that?

I was there for 8 days and I found it on the 6th day. I hope to find more in the buckets that I brought home with me.

OP
OP
The_Piratess

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! I've been down there three times. The last visit was in a hurry so my boys and I took out three buckets of concentrates to sort through. We still need to sort through them.....Lots of fun.

Omg! You haven't sorted through them yet? The suspense would get to me. I'm still working on my concentrates. You're very lucky, I wish I had some boys to help me. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread