Re rolling halves why spend the time

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would someone go to the trouble of re-rolling a MWR of halves to make it appear that it had not been opened, at least as long as you do not look to close at the roll.

I picked up a couple of rolls at two different banks many many miles apart and at both banks I got a MWR that was really a CWR at the point I got them. I cannot understand taking the time to roll the ends back down to look like a MWR.

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a full box sealed i was pissed

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for me, I use the same rolls that they came out of. I can just as easily slip the coins back in the roll and roll the end back up as I could tape it. My dump bank, who doesn't mind that I dump, and actually is happy when I make their total in house over $1k, makes me turn in rolled coins. They don't have a coin counter, and even after offering to do whatever I can to make it easier on them have told me I need to roll them. So It just makes sense for me t re-roll them to hold the coins in. However, i will tell you that it doesn't matter how I roll them, they break the rolls open and toss them in a bag to turn them in. I have seen them do this, as the teller was checking in my dump. So I know that my re-rolls are not going back out that way.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get full boxes like this pretty often, even when special ordering. They are usually resealed with Brinks or Loomis tape.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there is no malice in it. Many just reuse the wrappers and dump that way. Some are neater than others I figure. Blame the bank or coin carrier for being lazy and not checking the coin with their counters. Getting a full box of rerolls that has been sealed by the carrier sucks and I usually find the count to be off by a buck or two. One instance a roll of halves missing entirely, fortunately i open all boxes in the bank in front of the tellers i deal with. This was a sealed box too. Manager got pretty angry, i hope their brinks rep got an earful.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure someone re rolled them or was it just a bad rolling job by the courier? I think the latter is more likely. I would imagine anyone, such as myself, who re rolls just folds the top back down

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, all part of the experience. Re rolling coin in the old rappers (actually, slitting the side and taping) is my fall back plan if I get cut off dumping bags.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you sure someone re rolled them or was it just a bad rolling job by the courier? I think the latter is more likely. I would imagine anyone, such as myself, who re rolls just folds the top back down

They were clearly done by hand. I have never to date gotten a sealed box that had previously opened rolls (now today that will end probably) but I cannot understand taking the time to roll them similar to the way a machine would. I try it after I got them, it is not easy and it takes a good bit of time especially compared to just folding the paper down over the coins. I have reused MWR rolls but you are not going to find me taking the time to roll the paper down on itself like a machine roll. Heck I am using the MWR paper to save time.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
WilmingtonSilver explained my thoughts on why people do it. Not everyone has access to coin counters. I have often wondered if would be a hastle to do. Wilmington you don't by chance mark S on the rolls you pulled silver out of do you? I got a box of those the other week.

Golden Silver

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WilmingtonSilver explained my thoughts on why people do it. Not everyone has access to coin counters. I have often wondered if would be a hastle to do. Wilmington you don't by chance mark S on the rolls you pulled silver out of do you? I got a box of those the other week.

Golden Silver

+1. I do this. I reroll because theres no counters in our area. I reroll, spread them to banks in the area on normal bank runs. I mark my rolls (not the coins) but I dont have the luxury of a coin counter to do this.

OP
OP
K

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1. I do this. I reroll because theres no counters in our area. I reroll, spread them to banks in the area on normal bank runs. I mark my rolls (not the coins) but I dont have the luxury of a coin counter to do this.

Do you actually roll the edges of the rolls back down so they roll "looks" like it has not been opened. I completely understand re-using rolls when dumping coins going to the trouble of rolling down the edges seems quite tedious.

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
I reroll because the dump banks I primarily used don't or can't take loose coins. It doesn't take but a second to roll the edge over and it keeps the rolls from unravelling - nothing worse than having to recount coins. I've gotten a couple of boxes of sealed rerolled coins....not fun but just part of the experience.

I bet most of the folks complaining about the rerolls don't like the idea of marking coins either but there's a quick check that someone previously looked at those rolls. Depends on what you collect but just because someone turned rolls back in doesn't mean that coins you might be after aren't in there. A lot of folks pass up uncirculated 2002 and newer...if edge looking, it's easy to miss proof coins and even some silver - I've had 40% ers that look just like clad.

I doubt any of this is new ground - sort of hard when you're just discussing coin roll hunting - how different does it get?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I reroll all my halves, that is the only way my dump banks will take them, BUT I use new rolls, yeah sure, you have to buy them, but they're not that expensive, and I really don't want to take the chance of going thru my own dumps again.

Last edited:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Golden Silver

No, I don't believe in marking on coins what so ever. So it wasn't me.

But I also know for a fact it wasn't my re-rolls. Like I have said many times before, my dump bank breaks open the rolls and fills a bank bag with $1000 loose coin so they can sell back to Loomis. I have seen them do this. They call it their weekly stress relief. They get some perverse fun out of cracking those rolls on the edge of their teller windows. They cackle with glee.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I used the original wrappers when I first started, but I didn't like doing it. After awhile, I went ahead and bought a box of 1,000 wrappers, rationalizing that I had found 10 times the cost of the box in silver already. Now I use coin counters almost exclusively.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I used the original wrappers when I first started, but I didn't like doing it. After awhile, I went ahead and bought a box of 1,000 wrappers, rationalizing that I had found 10 times the cost of the box in silver already. Now I use coin counters almost exclusively.

The cheapest I can find a box on Ebay is $13.99 for 1000 wrappers. That's only enough to do 20 boxes. Is that average to find $139.90 of silver in 20 boxes?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ask for wrappers every time you go to a bank that has one, then you will build up a stockpile in case the banks with coin counters cut you off or their machines break.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread