{Sentinel}
Silver Member
- Joined
- Jan 11, 2007
- Messages
- 4,741
- Reaction score
- 295
- Golden Thread
- 13
- Location
- Virginia
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 13
- Detector(s) used
- TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I got out with a friend and fellow club member, Jeff (UMRGolf2000) and we hit the dirt hard yesterday and Friday. Both days were just really first rate albeit alittle chilly with the wind. Got out Friday and I was able to dig a couple real nice military buttons:
Early 1800s Navy one piece button, eagle over upright anchor, facing left with16 stars

Civil War Navy button, eagle over anchor facing left, Scovill Mg. Co backmark

Saturday, we got a early start as we had a little drive to get to our destination. Again, it was a great day and nice
weather and we were in the fields by 8AM.

On days like this, its just nice being out in the weather even if you
don't dig anything...BUT, when you do it just makes the day twice as fun. For the first couple of hours Jeff and I found a
couple of flat buttons. Then I got a signal that blew out my headphones that I thought would be can
slaw because that is what I had been diggin in this particular area of the field, however when I popped it out I was
looking at a very nice 1800s "Bell-type" brass Rosette
(pic at bottom of Post). Nice relic and I was happy so we continued
to pound this field as if we were waging a war of attrition
As I scanned back around towards
the back of the field I got a nice signal that turned out to be an Injun penny
and the next 10 minutes I got a
couple bullets and than another killer signal and when I pulled the clump out there was this really pretty DEEP
green patina:
Civil war Sword Hanger Hook

and this nice sun burst style flat button:

After this it was getting close to lunch time and we were thinking about going to get permission at this other field
so we started making our way to the car. I looked at where the car was and plotted a straight line and decided to
walk it back.....Around this time Jeff had gotten into a spot that was producing a number of flat buttons as well.
While walking there is a nice spot with ALOT of iron which gets my BLOOD up because I know that was a homesit
or a camp etc. but this particular spot had been pounded several times before so there were very few good signals
and most that were good were can slaw.....HOWEVER I did get a really nice signal which at this point I was hoping
wasn't a shotgun shell because we had dug a ton of them all morning.....and when I pulled it out it indeed looked
like a shotgun shell from the back with all the dirt on it but when I turned it over I saw a shield staring at me
and after using a
field brush to lightly remove some dirt it was clear that it was a
Early Federal 1820s General Service Eagle button:


Jeff told me that it was one of the only military buttons found in this particular field. This is a fairly hard one to
find around here so I was pretty happy and continued along my line to the car.........about 40 yards from the car I
was digging more GREAT signals that turned out to be more slaw then I got this really good signal hitting in the
+80s on my MXT but didn't have that trashy sound at the end of the signal; it was a very clean signal. I cut a
plug into the soft fertile soil of the field and popped it out onto the ground and when I did this beautiful little
silver disc popped out with it:


*1821 King Ferdinand VII One Reale
I was pretty happy at that find
and I tell you it was luck because every other signal I dug in this area (around 50) were ALL canslaw! 
We decided not to leave after that find as you well know and we pounded it out and Jeff found a couple more buttons but after about another hour and a half of pounding it nothing else turned up so we decided to go try to
find the land owner of this field that we had seen while driving to the hunting spot earlier in the morning. We
decided to knock on a couple doors and talk to a couple guys coming out of their driveway with no luck....this
field looked INCREDIBLE and had a very old ruin of a house sitting in the middle about 1000 yards out.As luck
would have it the land owners pulled in to the old driveway with four wheelers as we were about to call it quits
and we drove up and asked him and he said SURE go ahead and hunt all you want to
Heres a couple photos of the house:


CONTINUED BELOW ON NEXT POST
Heres the good finds not including all the so so relics, iron, and can slaw that was dug
Early 1800s Navy one piece button, eagle over upright anchor, facing left with16 stars

Civil War Navy button, eagle over anchor facing left, Scovill Mg. Co backmark

Saturday, we got a early start as we had a little drive to get to our destination. Again, it was a great day and nice
weather and we were in the fields by 8AM.

On days like this, its just nice being out in the weather even if you
don't dig anything...BUT, when you do it just makes the day twice as fun. For the first couple of hours Jeff and I found a
couple of flat buttons. Then I got a signal that blew out my headphones that I thought would be can
slaw because that is what I had been diggin in this particular area of the field, however when I popped it out I was
looking at a very nice 1800s "Bell-type" brass Rosette
to pound this field as if we were waging a war of attrition
As I scanned back around towardsthe back of the field I got a nice signal that turned out to be an Injun penny
and the next 10 minutes I got a couple bullets and than another killer signal and when I pulled the clump out there was this really pretty DEEP
green patina:
Civil war Sword Hanger Hook

and this nice sun burst style flat button:

After this it was getting close to lunch time and we were thinking about going to get permission at this other field
so we started making our way to the car. I looked at where the car was and plotted a straight line and decided to
walk it back.....Around this time Jeff had gotten into a spot that was producing a number of flat buttons as well.
While walking there is a nice spot with ALOT of iron which gets my BLOOD up because I know that was a homesit
or a camp etc. but this particular spot had been pounded several times before so there were very few good signals
and most that were good were can slaw.....HOWEVER I did get a really nice signal which at this point I was hoping
wasn't a shotgun shell because we had dug a ton of them all morning.....and when I pulled it out it indeed looked
like a shotgun shell from the back with all the dirt on it but when I turned it over I saw a shield staring at me
and after using a field brush to lightly remove some dirt it was clear that it was a
Early Federal 1820s General Service Eagle button:


Jeff told me that it was one of the only military buttons found in this particular field. This is a fairly hard one to
find around here so I was pretty happy and continued along my line to the car.........about 40 yards from the car I
was digging more GREAT signals that turned out to be more slaw then I got this really good signal hitting in the
+80s on my MXT but didn't have that trashy sound at the end of the signal; it was a very clean signal. I cut a
plug into the soft fertile soil of the field and popped it out onto the ground and when I did this beautiful little
silver disc popped out with it:


*1821 King Ferdinand VII One Reale
I was pretty happy at that find
and I tell you it was luck because every other signal I dug in this area (around 50) were ALL canslaw! 
We decided not to leave after that find as you well know and we pounded it out and Jeff found a couple more buttons but after about another hour and a half of pounding it nothing else turned up so we decided to go try to
find the land owner of this field that we had seen while driving to the hunting spot earlier in the morning. We
decided to knock on a couple doors and talk to a couple guys coming out of their driveway with no luck....this
field looked INCREDIBLE and had a very old ruin of a house sitting in the middle about 1000 yards out.As luck
would have it the land owners pulled in to the old driveway with four wheelers as we were about to call it quits
and we drove up and asked him and he said SURE go ahead and hunt all you want to
Heres a couple photos of the house:

CONTINUED BELOW ON NEXT POST
Heres the good finds not including all the so so relics, iron, and can slaw that was dug
Attachments
Upvote
0








