What's new

REALing 'em in--TRIPLE Spanish and Military!

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It was a heat wave this past weekend, with the heat index up in the 112 range--so naturally it was a perfect time to go dig for 12 hours in the sun in Louisiana! :laughing9: So I got up early to meet ole Shanguloid at a new permission of ours. Scouted some of the 3500 acre permission and found several new sites but mainly worked just one. The one we explored had a lot of potential, but we didn't realize that it would give us such a great day of digging! On the way there I almost hit an gator on the road. On the way to lunch, I noticed that someone else had hit one. :D

IMG_8029a.webp

Here's the video of the hunt, a day spent dodging some rain showers and questioning our sanity since it was so hot.



Well we got out there and within no time Shangalangalang had found himself a half real! So nice to see that silver come out of the dirt!

204_1236.webp

The coin was a little plow-bent, but it was a nice looking 1811.

204_1244.webp

We dug some more stuff, and Shang found a silver war nickel. Funny story--the very first silver we dug while hunting together was in the fall of 2011 at a civil war site when I dug a war nickel. I think he was a bit jealous since he'd never dug a silver before--and I told him "when you finally dig one, it's gonna be OLD" Well...four weeks later he dug his first silver ever--a 1700s spanish! :D Nice to see you got your war nickel, buddy. Only 5 years too late haha.

IMG_2683.webp IMG_2684.webp

He also dug what looks like a musket nipple protector chain but it's too long. Any ideas appreciated (see finds photos at end of post). I dug Mary's head from a lead religious statuary, eyeballed some marbles, an dug some more modern junk. Obviously a mixed site like so many are down here. Then I got a nice signal and popped out what looked like a bit boss embedded in a hunk of dirt!

204_1250.webp

I had Shang flip it over and was STOKED to see a Civil War bit boss. This one has the stippled background, no period after the "U" in "US." This is my first ever, in 25 years in the hobby. In a great stroke of luck, this one was not destroyed by the plow!

204_1255.webp 204_1257.webp

After getting over that craziness, we dug some wheat pennies and musketballs. Sigh. And a bunch of pack rivets, which sound exactly like half reales. Then all of a sudden I got yet another half real signal and I told Ole Shangy that I thought it was a pretty good half real signal. Well I was surprised when I broke open a clod and--it was!!

204_1260.webp

Turned out to be a very worn 1818 half real. :icon_thumleft:

204_1266.webp

After that excitement, I kept on digging and not 6 minutes later I hear Shangimus Maximus yelling that he's got ANOTHER one! This one turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL 1809 half real! Congrats, buddy!

204_1271.webp

Throughout the day it rained off and on. Sometimes we were lucky dodging showers but at the end of the day we got drenched and the fields became horrible mud pits. I'll dig in heat and humidity, but add 10lbs of mud on each shoe, the difficulty of recovering targets when they stick to everything, and holes that fill up as fast as you can dig them, and you get a nightmare instead of a happy little hobby :laughing7: So when that happened...we left!

Here are the finds photos. Enjoy!

IMG_2661.webp IMG_2663.webp IMG_2664.webp

IMG_2665.webp HPIM5486.webp 204_1256.webp

HPIM5488.webp HPIM5489.webp

IMG_2681.webp IMG_2682.webp

IMG_2679.webp IMG_2680.webp

Happy Hunting,


Cane Bandits.webp


The CaneField Bandits
 
Upvote 70
Epic day of digging BB.
 
Some one else just posted about that us piece a day ago Amazing finds I wish there was stuff that old here. Thanks for the story and post I love reading this stuff Great job!!! Watch out for those gators I'm glad there not around here I trade for mosquitos though!!!!
 
I love it when I see there's a new Buckleboy post to check out. Always great write up and pics, and of course the finds! That 1809 is real purty, and I really like that bit boss. Congrats man
 
Wow, what a site!
 
Some one else just posted about that us piece a day ago Amazing finds I wish there was stuff that old here. Thanks for the story and post I love reading this stuff Great job!!! Watch out for those gators I'm glad there not around here I trade for mosquitos though!!!!

There should be some old stuff in Michigan too. Probably sparse but there, and almost as old. Yeah, mosquitos are a nightmare!
 
I love it when I see there's a new Buckleboy post to check out. Always great write up and pics, and of course the finds! That 1809 is real purty, and I really like that bit boss. Congrats man

Yeah, I love it when there's a new Buckleboy post, too--means I've managed to find something decent. :D 1809 is one of the nicest half reales we've dug in terms of condition. Overall, really thrilled with the finds. How are things going up there for you?
 
great_find.gif
Nice finds BuckleBoy! Thanks for sharing...
 
Great finds buck. Those reales are excellent finds. Sweet bit boss and whole! - I've seen many more broken. I also like the porcelain buttons. All great finds by the Cane Bandits
 
Always great finds, always great stories. After reading one of your posts, I want to drop what I'm doing and go digging. I'm thinking that my boss wouldn't be in favor of this plan... but sometimes you just need to take a " sick day". Congratulations!!!
 
Wow, what a great hunt. To find all of those great items like that in one day would be the hunt of a lifetime for me.
 
I sure don't miss the heat and humidity or the skeeters of the south.. Awesome finds.
 
Double B, you never cease to amaze. Congrats on so many really nice finds. That bit boss is very the stuff! WOW.

Best of luck sir, and be careful in the heat!
 
3 Reales in one hunt! Wow. Congrats.

I am not living right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Looks like the two of you had a "real" good day! :thumbsup:

Great story with even better finds!! :notworthy:
 
Great finds buck. Those reales are excellent finds. Sweet bit boss and whole! - I've seen many more broken. I also like the porcelain buttons. All great finds by the Cane Bandits

Yeah, I've seen so many coins wrecked by the plow--even tiny little half reales--that when we find larger relics they are usually broken or bent. I'm shocked that the bit boss made it out intact. Thanks for your reply my friend!

Cheers,

Buck
 
Always great finds, always great stories. After reading one of your posts, I want to drop what I'm doing and go digging. I'm thinking that my boss wouldn't be in favor of this plan... but sometimes you just need to take a " sick day". Congratulations!!!

Take that sick day and go dig something! :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom