What's new

REALing 'em in--TRIPLE Spanish and Military!

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It was a heat wave this past weekend, with the heat index up in the 112 range--so naturally it was a perfect time to go dig for 12 hours in the sun in Louisiana! :laughing9: So I got up early to meet ole Shanguloid at a new permission of ours. Scouted some of the 3500 acre permission and found several new sites but mainly worked just one. The one we explored had a lot of potential, but we didn't realize that it would give us such a great day of digging! On the way there I almost hit an gator on the road. On the way to lunch, I noticed that someone else had hit one. :D

IMG_8029a.webp

Here's the video of the hunt, a day spent dodging some rain showers and questioning our sanity since it was so hot.



Well we got out there and within no time Shangalangalang had found himself a half real! So nice to see that silver come out of the dirt!

204_1236.webp

The coin was a little plow-bent, but it was a nice looking 1811.

204_1244.webp

We dug some more stuff, and Shang found a silver war nickel. Funny story--the very first silver we dug while hunting together was in the fall of 2011 at a civil war site when I dug a war nickel. I think he was a bit jealous since he'd never dug a silver before--and I told him "when you finally dig one, it's gonna be OLD" Well...four weeks later he dug his first silver ever--a 1700s spanish! :D Nice to see you got your war nickel, buddy. Only 5 years too late haha.

IMG_2683.webp IMG_2684.webp

He also dug what looks like a musket nipple protector chain but it's too long. Any ideas appreciated (see finds photos at end of post). I dug Mary's head from a lead religious statuary, eyeballed some marbles, an dug some more modern junk. Obviously a mixed site like so many are down here. Then I got a nice signal and popped out what looked like a bit boss embedded in a hunk of dirt!

204_1250.webp

I had Shang flip it over and was STOKED to see a Civil War bit boss. This one has the stippled background, no period after the "U" in "US." This is my first ever, in 25 years in the hobby. In a great stroke of luck, this one was not destroyed by the plow!

204_1255.webp 204_1257.webp

After getting over that craziness, we dug some wheat pennies and musketballs. Sigh. And a bunch of pack rivets, which sound exactly like half reales. Then all of a sudden I got yet another half real signal and I told Ole Shangy that I thought it was a pretty good half real signal. Well I was surprised when I broke open a clod and--it was!!

204_1260.webp

Turned out to be a very worn 1818 half real. :icon_thumleft:

204_1266.webp

After that excitement, I kept on digging and not 6 minutes later I hear Shangimus Maximus yelling that he's got ANOTHER one! This one turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL 1809 half real! Congrats, buddy!

204_1271.webp

Throughout the day it rained off and on. Sometimes we were lucky dodging showers but at the end of the day we got drenched and the fields became horrible mud pits. I'll dig in heat and humidity, but add 10lbs of mud on each shoe, the difficulty of recovering targets when they stick to everything, and holes that fill up as fast as you can dig them, and you get a nightmare instead of a happy little hobby :laughing7: So when that happened...we left!

Here are the finds photos. Enjoy!

IMG_2661.webp IMG_2663.webp IMG_2664.webp

IMG_2665.webp HPIM5486.webp 204_1256.webp

HPIM5488.webp HPIM5489.webp

IMG_2681.webp IMG_2682.webp

IMG_2679.webp IMG_2680.webp

Happy Hunting,


Cane Bandits.webp


The CaneField Bandits
 
Upvote 70
Wow, what a great hunt. To find all of those great items like that in one day would be the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Thanks for your kind words. Sometimes it pays off. What I haven't posted on here was two or three scouting missions this spring where we didn't find anything at all after 12 hours in the heat. Sometimes you almost hallucinate a find on days like that lol.
 
I sure don't miss the heat and humidity or the skeeters of the south.. Awesome finds.

I've gotten used to it--but it's still a pain in the @$$.
 
Double B, you never cease to amaze. Congrats on so many really nice finds. That bit boss is very the stuff! WOW.

Best of luck sir, and be careful in the heat!

Thanks so much, Tom! Will do. :thumbsup:
 
3 Spanish in one hunt is pretty incredible and the US harness rosette is killer. Heat was nuts last weekend but glad to see your efforts paid off.

Thanks so much for your reply. We've had a couple of three spanish silver days over the years, but we've never gotten four in one day. So whenever we get three, we generally work our butts off to try and break the record--and it never happens. It is nice to see today's totals carry us into "more spanish than seated" territory for the year so far.

Cheers,

Buck
 
WOW! Killer finds! My vote for the best of the bunch is that US harness rosette :thumbsup:! Killer video and pictures too! I like the way you video tape your finds and kept us in the loop while you expose your find! Digging is super fun when you're pulling those type of oldies! WOW! :occasion14: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
 
For you guys,, that was a great hunt , for me, it was entertaining as well as educational. The Spanish Silvers and relics are magnificent.
Congratulations
 
Always great finds, always great stories. After reading one of your posts, I want to drop what I'm doing and go digging. I'm thinking that my boss wouldn't be in favor of this plan... but sometimes you just need to take a " sick day". Congratulations!!!

We call them Mental Health Days,, lol
 
Glad to see you're keeping it real. Excellent digs-that boss is a great find and three half reales ain't too shabby either!
 
Hi BuckleBoy; Nice Finds. I believe that site Dates to the War of 1812 - Present. This is based on the coin dates and the Marbles you found. The clay marbles are from that Period ok. The two glass marbles I believe are 1860's roughly thus placing them in line with the US piece ok. If you look at the perimeter of the trees look for depressions in the ground. That could be a Privy ok. Well worth digging out. The troops had t go the bathroom somewhere. That's where they went ok. You can find all kinds of stuff in the holes so go for it. ALWAYS wear gloves when digging privies ok. Broken glass, human waste etc. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB
 
WOW! Killer finds! My vote for the best of the bunch is that US harness rosette :thumbsup:! Killer video and pictures too! I like the way you video tape your finds and kept us in the loop while you expose your find! Digging is super fun when you're pulling those type of oldies! WOW! :occasion14: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks so much, Randy. I try to make the type of post that I'd enjoy reading myself. :)

Cheers,

Buck
 
Glad to see you're keeping it real. Excellent digs-that boss is a great find and three half reales ain't too shabby either!

Thanks, buddy! Keeping it real LOL Good one!
 
Hi BuckleBoy; Nice Finds. I believe that site Dates to the War of 1812 - Present. This is based on the coin dates and the Marbles you found. The clay marbles are from that Period ok. The two glass marbles I believe are 1860's roughly thus placing them in line with the US piece ok. If you look at the perimeter of the trees look for depressions in the ground. That could be a Privy ok. Well worth digging out. The troops had t go the bathroom somewhere. That's where they went ok. You can find all kinds of stuff in the holes so go for it. ALWAYS wear gloves when digging privies ok. Broken glass, human waste etc. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Hi Barker,

I think that the glass marbles are much newer than 1860s. Like 1940-60. Porcelain marbles are probably late 1800s on up through 1920s, after porcelain became a thing with Chinese imports and the opening of the East to trade. (that's where our slang word "China" comes from, to describe white glazed plates, etc.) Clay marbles are earlier, but these aren't clay. Benningtons would be a bit earlier too, but we hardly ever find those for some reason.

Best Wishes,

Buck
 
Three Sweet Reale's and a Sweet bit boss, Awesome hunt!!
Is that a Good Luck token laying with those old silvers? You covered a wide time frame with those finds.
Congrats!!
 
Congratualtions on the fantastic relic and coin hunt! :notworthy:
 
Awesome hunt, and the variety of finds is amazing! Thanks for sharing!
 
I'm glad you guys had a successful hunt, because in extreme heat like that, you can't just say "we didn't find much, but had a nice day in the great outdoors"...LOL

Congrats on the bit boss and the condition it's in. I only have ever found one and it's in perfect condition too. You guys seem to find a lot Spanish silver with early 1800s dates. The 1800s Spanish doesn't turn up as often in the Northeast. Of the 65 I have found, only one was from the 1800s - an 1808 one real.
 
Last edited:
Three Sweet Reale's and a Sweet bit boss, Awesome hunt!!
Is that a Good Luck token laying with those old silvers? You covered a wide time frame with those finds.
Congrats!!

Good eye! That's an arcade token patented 1928. Cool item that was eyeballed while scouting. :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom