What's new

Really Bizarre !?....I Dug & Eye Balled 17 World War II Dog Tags in a Field!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
5,675
Golden Thread
2
Location
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted 3 places. The first was a Victorian house built in 1901! Dug a wheat penny and a 1898 Indian head Penny from the front yard.

The second place I hunted was a large field that just had a dump truck that had deposited a full load of dirt on. The dirt was spread out over a large area
that was about 20' X 100'. Right off the bat I eye balled on top of the ground a military dog tag, than another, than another! These dog tags were sticking out of the ground half buried!

I then tested one of the dog tags under my coil and it came up on the meter as "foil". In the loose dirt I started to dig all the foil readings and came up with more dog tags! After thoroughly hunting the area I had a total of 17 military dog tags! When I got home I did a google search on military dog tags and discovered that all 17 are from
World War II! How did thy get there? :dontknow:Why were so many together? :icon_scratch:...very cool to find these....I wonder if I should do some research and get these back to the families?

My 3rd spot I hunted produced a ring made out of silver & gold!
 

Attachments

  • Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Dog Tags WWII 002.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 002.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 175
  • Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    213.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    188.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    173.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Dog Tags WWII 010.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 010.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Dog Tags WWII 009.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 009.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Dog Tags WWII 008.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 008.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Dog Tags WWII 007.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 007.webp
    147.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Dog Tags WWII 006.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 006.webp
    104.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Dog Tags WWII 015.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 015.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Dog Tags WWII 014.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 014.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Dog Tags WWII 013.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 013.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Dog Tags WWII 012.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 012.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Dog Tags WWII 002.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 002.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    22 KB · Views: 188
  • Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Dog Tags WWII 008.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 008.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 005.webp
    17 KB · Views: 187
  • Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 004.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 003.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 001.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Dog Tags WWII 009.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 009.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Dog Tags WWII 010.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 010.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Dog Tags WWII 011.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 011.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Dog Tags WWII 012.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 012.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Dog Tags WWII 013.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 013.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Dog Tags WWII 019.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 019.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Dog Tags WWII 018.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 018.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Dog Tags WWII 016.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 016.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Dog Tags WWII 015.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 015.webp
    84.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Dog Tags WWII 014.webp
    Dog Tags WWII 014.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 40
Now THAT is one strange set of finds. I'd really want to find out where that load of dirt came from, as I can't come up with a reasonable explanation for that many different dog tags to all be found in the same immediate area.
 
Those dog tags are certainly a sobering find, perhaps they belonged to the same unit. Maybe the company commander brought them back after the war to remember fallen brothers in arms. A bit of research should be able to link them to specific units....unless it was just someone's collection.
 
I like how you showed everything, Thanks!!! great finds!!
 
That one piece in the trash looks like a bone saw. Strange finds.
 
Wow! Very interesting digs! Love that crude homemade-looking silver/gold ring! It's probably from a shop class or similar.
Crazy pile of Dog Tags, I have no idea what to make of it. Awesome nonetheless! Fantastic hunt! :treasurechest::headbang:
 
What a hunt !....wish we knew the story behimd that lot!
 
The tags are an interesting find...

Possibly contact a State Senator fir a look-see...

Did the men die in battle? If so, it's fubar'd...

Somebody needs to research the names, service branch, etc and account for the the collection...
 
very interesting. seems like someone may have been a collector.

though a few more fun scenarios come to mind, I won't post for fear of offending someones sensibilities of right and wrong. or a producer will steal the idea for a horror movie.

it could be a platoon who made a promise to have their tags sent to a living member,
for reunions or something.
and when the last one died they all got dumped.

or cleanout or theft from a VFW or Legion Hall, though the different locations make this less likely

I'd be checking to see if they are all connected and if there are still one or more missing
 
Last edited:
Yea, this in an epic find...why all these tags were here is bizarre, and intriguing.
You may have only scratched the surface, the real treasure could still be found in what could happen next. Perhaps some more digging by a highly respected research historian, such as Mackaydon(:notworthy:) could lead to an incredible return, donation, or ceremony...

Congratulations on unearthing some great relics...
 
Congrats on some nice and very interesting finds
 
Awesome finds! Thanks for the great pics! That long piece of "trash", what is that?
 
Wow, what a hunt! The IHC would have made me happy, but the rest of it is awesome. Congrats:icon_thumleft:
 
Your "trash" has a couple interesting pieces... That little saw is really cool, and the long piece has me scratching my head... I'd really like to see good pics of them.
 
Here is some pics of those two items that were in the trash pile. The long piece is made entirely out of brass, have no idea as to what this was/is? The saw is of a type that I never seen before.
 

Attachments

  • Saw & Thingy Pics 001.webp
    Saw & Thingy Pics 001.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Saw & Thingy Pics 002.webp
    Saw & Thingy Pics 002.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Saw & Thingy Pics 003.webp
    Saw & Thingy Pics 003.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Saw & Thingy Pics 004.webp
    Saw & Thingy Pics 004.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Saw & Thingy Pics 005.webp
    Saw & Thingy Pics 005.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 112
The saw isn't a bone saw------probably made of aluminum with a steel metal saw blade. I had one in the '50's.
Marvin
PS, That brass hicky doo looks like a map/plan holder.
 
Last edited:
if you have not yet looked for the names I have some info for you on the dog tags :)
 
The saw is an old drywall saw. My dad, and now I, have one just like it.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom