Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Figured I would use the hour of spare time I had to hunt a park. Came across some clad, an old plumb bob, and of course everyone's favorite-junk. At the very end I hit a strong silver signal at 10 inches, but it was directly under a large tree root. So I start digging on the side that I thought the coin was favoring and dug about ten inches down. Pinpointer was chirping, but not really screaming. So I started a new hole on the other side of the root-this thing was like 8-9 inches wide. Got down about ten inches and pinpointer was going off a little better than before, but not a solid noise. I kept digging a little and then use the pinpointer; dig a little, pinpoint. I was on that spot for quite some time and I guess I should have turned off my pinpointer each time I dug a little more, cuz that dang thing loss power just as I was getting closer. On the drive home I thought about the situation and wondered if the silver is actually encased in the tree root. Needless to say I was bummed, and very wet from the snow.

That will keep you busy! Have tunneled under and cleaned a couple roots and had the root still ring up. Smaller than coin diameter and when full of sap.
Not saying that's what is going on with your target but reminds me of the roots i,ve found that were alot like a hot rock. H.H.

Guess you better get back there. I doubt it is in the root.

Sounds frustrating, mjc. I had a "singing root" at a local farmhouse once. I kept digging both sides of the root but could not find it. Have a small saw but opted not to cut this root since it was pretty large. (Plus the owners were due home soon and I didn't want them to witness any tree cuttings. LOL) I had found several grommets in the area and figured it would be another. :tongue3: I should go back again and see how the signals reads on my Explorer.

HH

I would hit it again if I were you - I have found some goodies under roots (junk too):laughing7:

I have the same problem, but it is on my property.....Just have to wait for a warm day when the wife is at work and im not......like next sat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back