Well that really sucks, BUT;
Being a former SFer we are not ex's just FORMER SF
third, I got the best deterant around besides a lot of gun and ammo to burn up, BUT, when I used to have on a previous house I had some sticker signs, (about 4X6 in size), I had on every entrance including windows and it read;
DEADLY FORCE IS AUTHORIZED BEYOND THIS POINT!
When ym ex-wife and I were married and had a few issues, mainly due to her motehr and sister, but the police came out once and the 2 officers saw my signs on the front door and was curious about it and thought maybe I was off my rocker. I asked them if they were burglers and wanted to break in a house, and if you saw this house to break into and with these signs on all the entrances what would you do? They both said they would find another house! I said EXACTLY!! It keeps my things nice, secure, and safe and keeps my floors from getting someone else's blood and brains on them! They both said I had a very good point!
A few houses around always got broken into, but mine never was hit! Always had more than 1 vehicle in the drive way. I know for fact there was some suspious guys that came out to my house a couple of times during the break ins and from what I saw on my security cam at my front door faces all covered and couldn't pick out any identity. Of course you could be looking all over and never find the cams even if you were trying to find it and never do.
Sorry to hear about your brother too. I got 1 solution for thieves, but I can't post here because it may offend some and me violate the terms!