Rebuilding a HF battery for $11

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just bought my third $50 HF battery since I owned my Deus and I figure $150 in batterys is enough,

I search amazon and found a similarly size battery for $11 and figured I would give it a shot.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVDQ4TV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took my dremal tool and sliced open the case and then it was just de-soldering and re-soldering the leads and resealing up the case.

Even tho the new battery is 50 mah larger it appears it charged up nicely and reads 100% on my screen.

Here are some photos of the project,

The new battery is on top.

batt1.jpeg
batt2.jpeg

Not the most precise cut but it worked
IMG_1791.JPEG

Then new battery soldered and taped up.
IMG_1836.JPEG

Glued up and then cleaned up so it will still fit in the lower shaft.
IMG_1837.JPEG
IMG_1851.JPEG

And lastly after charging it looks like it is ready to go. Going to take it out for a test run this afternoon.
IMG_1853.jpeg

Of course it can be done much more prettier but I just wanted to see if it was do-able.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. My deus is over 5 years old now and still on its original batteries.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. My deus is over 5 years old now and still on its original batteries.

I know Smokey, ...I am wondering if there is something up with the coil or something? I have had great luck detecting with the setup except that it seems after 12-16 months the battery life starts to go down to the point it only last a couple hours tops..

All the other batteries ( headphone, control pad ) are original and are still going strong.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stellar work and thanks for sharing. Someone else may have to do this one day and 11 bucks beats 50 for sure!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good work there Toothpick. Making it prettier would not have helped put more finds in your pouch. :icon_thumright: Yeah, I agree, coil issue.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I'd be sending in the coil for a look see, on the third battery sounds very suspicious.
Good work around though I can just hear the repair centre blaming it on the battery install/repair.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a likely a coil problem, I guess if it burns up your home-brew battery setup too, that would confirm it.

Also, you need to be good at soldering, not just ok, because if you cause any thermal stress to a lithium ion battery, you will have a fire on your hands. Not a project for first timers at soldering...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread