Recent boxes with lots of marked coins

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Lately I have been seeing lots Brinks boxes with most of the coins marked with a red circle or C ,or sometimes untelligible markings, all that appear to be done by the same CRHer with the same marker. Whoever it is must be doing a high volume in my area.

It is very irritating and the last few dumps have drawn questions from the tellers "are you marking these coins this way?". For some reason it is more annoying than the usual stripe you see frequently (I don't even notice these as much anymore). Seems 95% of all the coins in these boxes are marked by this particular CRHer.

Anyway, the boxes have all been skunks except for one coin. There was a 64 Kennedy that someone had apparently wore on a necklace because there was a hole over the 6 in 64.

I search the rims and saw it immediately as being a keeper, and the sound test verified silver. But the red-marking CRHer must search dates only because he/she had their trademark red C on the face of the coin.

I am thinking about stopping Brinks boxes for a while because this particular CRHer must be doing high volume here and I am tired of getting all his dumps lately. CRHing has really picked up here in that all my buy banks now have multiple CRHers ordering boxes (my main bank now limits how many boxes an individual can get because of all the demand-although there are no fees yet).

Brinks is the main game in town, and hopefully red marker man is dumping only at banks using Brinks. Time to try some CWI boxes and different banks for a while maybe.

Jim

Upvote 0

Pirate Hunter

Jun 2, 2008
I found alot of magic marker markings on mine also. For some reason alot of the 1980 halfs were all marked black. The lower 1/4 of the coin was all black. Someone is doing it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats too bad Jim. I live in a fairly large town, accounts with 2 larger banks there, I have no competetion as far as ordering goes, let alone walk-ins looking for rolls. My boxes are still skunky and lots of marked coins.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
Thats too bad Jim. I live in a fairly large town, accounts with 2 larger banks there, I have no competetion as far as ordering goes, let alone walk-ins looking for rolls. My boxes are still skunky and lots of marked coins.

FFD,

I see lots of marked ones too, but these markings appear to be done by the same person. He marks over the coins already marked with stripes.

I don't have a digital camera or I would post what I am talking about. It looks like most of the coins have a squiggly circle, but sometimes it looks like a bad version of a C. The color of the marker is different too than I normally see.
I am guessing it is a new CRHer in my area who likes to mark all his coins, not just one here and there. This particular design on the coins just started showing up in the last couple of weeks.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Jim, I have been getting loads of marked coins by the same person in the CWI boxes. He marks the front or back with a small black and red dots .. damn I seen probably a thousand or so from the same person.

This past weeks boxes were marked with a big R from a sharpie on the front of the coins ... there were 5 to 6 in each roll with this persons marking on them ...

95% that is crazy that damn crher must be tearing up some boxes .... hmmm.. well best of luck with your boxes maybe they will turn around for ya , Ed

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Are crystal meth addicts getting into this hobby? Who takes the time to mark that many coins? I hate to see marked coins. I feel for you Jim. Hope things get better soon.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks, I get several different kind of marks on my coins all from different people. The one that I get the most has a date on them like 9/16 or I also see a to of purple marker traced around kennedy's head, and a lot of red dots on the head and the list goes on and on and on. I have also been asked if I was the person marking the coins too by 1 of my banks, nobody wants to get a coin all marked up... >:(

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
to me marking coins just to see if your getting your own dumps back is just plain selfish....no regard for others who may want to add that coin to thier collection

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the point of marking them, I have NEVER (sorry for yelling) marked a single coin. Yes, I have wanted to paint a roll of edges, but who hasn't? FFD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread