Recent recoveries off the North Douglas Beach trail

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobinsd,
None of the 1715 wreck sites have been positively identified...

Some of the early modern salvors couldn't agree upon which site is which. What's that expression... ask 4 salvors which is which and you'll get 5 scenarios, Heck I've even got 3 or 4 myself. It's been considered to be The Nieves, Echeverz's Capitana, Concepcion,Urca De Lima, San Cristoval...

The recent gold find is a north area of the "Douglas Beach" wreck site. It is not believed to be a different wreck site.
John Brandon will tell you that these are ship wrecks not sunken ships, the key word being wreck. These sites have acres and acres along miles of beach front that they are scattered over.

In many cases cannon can be used to help identify a wreck site but with these it will be highly unlikely.

Firstly some of these ships had multi-national ownership through time and cannon were swapped out or in as the last voyage needed. The research would have to be from outbound Havana on the cannon count.

This also has cannon from different countries on a single ship. So the proverbial finding a broad arrow to determine a "British" ship doesn't apply.

Secondly locals and some not local here on the "treasure coast" have been pulling cannon off these wrecks since the 1920's. They've also pulled ballast. The story also goes that with the world war efforts cannon were pulled off the bottom all over Florida, so we may never get accurate cannon count on these sites.

But in there is the fun of the 1715 Fleet mystery!!!

Again all we DO know is that we have the

Cabin wreck
Corrigan's wreck
Rio Mar wreck
Sandy Point wreck
Wedge wreck
Douglas Beach wreck

Any naming or placing of ships to a particular site is just theory.

**Internet disclaimer of tone**

No intentions to insult anyone was made with this post. I encourage anyone to research the 1715 fleet to find clues to it's mysteries.

I just wanted to post facts, not theories. I'm not saying theories are bad I have a few of my own but for those seeking information sometimes starting with a clean slate can be better than with a jumble of theories.

Cheers HH

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah he shot you down Dell Winders,he made it sound like your post had nothing to do with the thread, the best place to go on this website for questions about the 1715 fleet is a thread called
'' 1715 pop quiz'' have your maps ready and that thread will anwer alot.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To what do you attribute the lack of deterioration of the silver? Is there a fresh water source nearby keeping them clean?

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe my only factual error was about "evidence" of cannons, & I still welcome anyone to tell me how else I might be wrong about the Nieves. I love learning new things from folks on this forum about how to interpret facts, such as the cannon thing, and I'm glad to know it so I can factor it into my research interpretations.

And I definitely would love to know other theories about which ship this INCREDIBLE find might be.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobinsd,
None of the 1715 wreck sites have been positively identified...

Some of the early modern salvors couldn't agree upon which site is which. What's that expression... ask 4 salvors which is which and you'll get 5 scenarios, Heck I've even got 3 or 4 myself. It's been considered to be The Nieves, Echeverz's Capitana, Concepcion,Urca De Lima, San Cristoval...

The recent gold find is a north area of the "Douglas Beach" wreck site. It is not believed to be a different wreck site.
John Brandon will tell you that these are ship wrecks not sunken ships, the key word being wreck. These sites have acres and acres along miles of beach front that they are scattered over.

In many cases cannon can be used to help identify a wreck site but with these it will be highly unlikely.

Firstly some of these ships had multi-national ownership through time and cannon were swapped out or in as the last voyage needed. The research would have to be from outbound Havana on the cannon count.

This also has cannon from different countries on a single ship. So the proverbial finding a broad arrow to determine a "British" ship doesn't apply.

Secondly locals and some not local here on the "treasure coast" have been pulling cannon off these wrecks since the 1920's. They've also pulled ballast. The story also goes that with the world war efforts cannon were pulled off the bottom all over Florida, so we may never get accurate cannon count on these sites.

But in there is the fun of the 1715 Fleet mystery!!!

Again all we DO know is that we have the

Cabin wreck
Corrigan's wreck
Rio Mar wreck
Sandy Point wreck
Wedge wreck
Douglas Beach wreck

Any naming or placing of ships to a particular site is just theory.

**Internet disclaimer of tone**

No intentions to insult anyone was made with this post. I encourage anyone to research the 1715 fleet to find clues to it's mysteries.

I just wanted to post facts, not theories. I'm not saying theories are bad I have a few of my own but for those seeking information sometimes starting with a clean slate can be better than with a jumble of theories.

Cheers HH

Great Post!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ready for this t net. GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahahahahaha

Congratulations on the find of a lifetime! This is what dreams are made of! I just wish the finds could talk....oh the things they could say...

OP
OP
Booty Salvage

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Love this one!

Attachments

• image-720742048.jpg
    image-720742048.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 134

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
**********Dell may I suggest you start your own "New" thread about the Douglas beach area and let us, let Booty Salvage continue to show us his finds.
Thanks. Look like you have some interesting info.
Regards,
Moderation

It should..and would make a good thread.
I think it was more about leaving this thread open to BootySalvage sharing his adventure with us and not going off track... the thread after all is titled "recent recoveries"
Now there is people arguing experience and making silly stabs at eachother.
It's only my opinion ..but I think these posts don't really belong here.. I would like to just check in and see how Eric is doing without all of that.

OP
OP
Booty Salvage

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amen gator boy. To many threads to go off topic. Also, John Brandon knows the most about not only Douglas but every other wreck in the 1715 fleet. I'm not trying to butter anyone up either. It's the truth.

Bad jellies bad vis and bad swells looks like we will be at the dock for a few days.

-Capt Eric

OP
OP
Booty Salvage

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I still can't believe it. It seems like a really long dream, one I never want to wake up from. So much work, so many sacrifices, so much time. I'm glad i could break a worldwide news story on T Net! You guys were the first people besides my crew to see the mega find. It is even sweeter having posted all the small silver coins and other artifacts we were finding before Sept 1st.

Anyone here who is ridiculed for their pursuit of their dreams needs to remember one thing. Never give up. Nothing good comes easy, and hardwork pays off.

Capt Eric

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the fruits of your perseverance and hard work. As an amateur who still gets excited when I stumble across a half reale or a colonial copper, I can't imagine the feelings you must be experiencing. By the way, though, 1 to 3 feet is excellent visibility. LOL.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please stop the insults and arguing.

Dell mod ask you to start a new thread because this thread is about Booty's recent amazing finds and should not be side tracked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

huggis

Sep 4, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Aqua pulse - Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't believe it. It seems like a really long dream, one I never want to wake up from. So much work, so many sacrifices, so much time. I'm glad i could break a worldwide news story on T Net! You guys were the first people besides my crew to see the mega find. It is even sweeter having posted all the small silver coins and other artifacts we were finding before Sept 1st.

Anyone here who is ridiculed for their pursuit of their dreams needs to remember one thing. Never give up. Nothing good comes easy, and hardwork pays off.

Capt Eric

Stay on the trail Eric I'm glad a young guy like yourself has the time and the luck to Pursue your dream. I wish somehow you could pinpoint what wrecks are what there are so many practically on top of each other. The best to you.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again Capt'n Eric and crew,

It just goes to show, no matter how many years a site is worked and by so many...they can't get it all.
I was going to ask if you could post a few (macro) close up shots of the style of "links" of the chains, were they all the same type?
I still am amazed at the craftsman of those days gone by.
Thanks for sharing in your finds...I still remember your silver platter from years ago, I think if you stayed in that area of the platter years back...you may have found a "cannon with gold escudos in it"? Hmmm...so close.
More gold is in your future...and something very very special.

Trez

Shawmen

Sep 7, 2010
Tango Charlie
Amen gator boy. To many threads to go off topic.

-Capt Eric

NOTHING but the highest of KUDOS to Capt. Schmitt and crew...Without a doubt the best finds since Capt. Bonnie and Mamma Jo a couple years ago!!! Capt. Bounds...tighten up!!

One thing though folks, Dell, hands down, has more mask time chasing treasure then all of us here COMBINED!!!!! Although his methods may have changed over the past years, please show a bit of respect. NEW Moderators please do DD before dissing his posts, esp checking old photo posts. He truly has "been there, done that".(Dell, like I've asked before, please get a thread started with those "60's / 70's" photos again!! What a great contribution that would be!)

Wishing nothing but the best for the true "Top Guns" of this season...Capt. Schmitt and Crew...You guys are close to something BIG!

Good Hunting and Safe Seas~
Santini

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread