What's new

Recent storm moved coins and a bit of silver jewelry to the surface ...todays hunt

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Recent storm moved coins and a bit of silver jewelry to the surface ...today's hunt

Hi,

Was at the beach early this morning...very windy, but with a little sun to add some warmth.

Several coins were on the surface of the dry sand; others were found in wet sand slope along with what I believe is a portion of one of those multi-hoop earrings. No marking on it, but tested+ with acid test kit.

Also found a "mystery" coin....I think I know what it is; anyone care to take a guess?

Here's pics...I'll clean the coin later to verify it's ID

Thank you for looking at my post

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1213.webp
    DSCF1213.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF1212.webp
    DSCF1212.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF1217.webp
    DSCF1217.webp
    46 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0
Looks like a V nickel, try a solution of vinegar and salt to clean it up to get a date

HH
-GC
 
Looks like a V nickel, try a solution of vinegar and salt to clean it up to get a date

HH
-GC


You are correct, GC..here's a pic of it after about 20min. of electrolysis...can you see the date?

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1219.webp
    DSCF1219.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 127
Here's the coin as best as I can get it at this time; will try some salt /vinegar to get the remaining stains out.

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1222.webp
    DSCF1222.webp
    73.1 KB · Views: 129
good hunt Lorraine! I've never found a V nickel. congrats
 
Just a suggestion Lorraine, if you use the salt/vinegar cleaning, watch it closely. For some reason, if it is pitted, the solution makes the pits bigger...faster. Lost a couple of coins that way 'cus I didn't pay attention. Good Luck on the cleaning project.
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Great post Lorrain , I"ve never found one of those . A rare and neat find. Those coins have a hard time hiding from you. Thanks for sharing.
 
Thanks for that suggestion, Gold Nuggets; I'll watch it carefully and put the coin in the solution for a minute or two at a time and see what happens.

With the condition of this coin, I think it is worth a grand total of $0.05! :laughing7:

I have to get to a park or old field to find one in great condition...some day, maybe

Lorraine
 
Congratulation! detecting is gold.
 
Thanks for that suggestion, Gold Nuggets; I'll watch it carefully and put the coin in the solution for a minute or two at a time and see what happens.

With the condition of this coin, I think it is worth a grand total of $0.05! :laughing7:

I have to get to a park or old field to find one in great condition...some day, maybe

Lorraine

Here's the finished product after final careful cleansing with vinegar/salt solution
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1215.webp
    DSCF1215.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1214.webp
    DSCF1214.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 120
:thumbsup:WTG Lorraine, always a great find...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom