What's new

Rechargable batteries

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
1,259
Reaction score
1,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to buy some AA rechargable batteries to replace the 2 rechargable battery packs that I've previously bought and subsequently wore out for my Seahunter MK II, which oh by the way has met it's demise.

I'm going to trade the dead one in for a new one at a very good price from Garretts.

The stock batteries are marked NIMH 1.2 volt 1600 mAh. What does the "mAh" mean and how important is it? I've found 1500 and 1700 mAh batteries on some of the sites.

I already have a smart charger and just want to buy some AAs for the new Seahunter and also I would like to get some info for finding a rechargable pack for the Excal II. I was using the stock rechargable in the ackaline pack until it died. Now I've been using akaline but if I can find a 12 volt 1000 maH NIMH pack that will fit the pod I'd go with it. KellyCo wants $185.00 for one. I'm not feeling it.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
mila amp hours, basically its power capacity..... or how long it goes before you have to change them. You want to keep you voltage UP as well as find some with increased mAh. If you run a normal 1.2v rechargable.... you are running 9.6v total for 8 batteries. MOST factory rechargables running that V would be half drained.... get the picture? So you want at least one that equals AA batteries 1.5V.... or 12V total. Some machines like the Explorers say NOT to run lith because they produce MORE than 13V. Also check your charger..... make sure the out put equals 12V or higher or you will be under charging them since some may be set to charge only 9.6V.

Dew
 
I did some research on rechargables a few months back, here is a what I recall learning:

- Don't use mAh as your only judge of a battery - some batteries will have higher capacity, but won't last long in terms of the number of charge cycles and will lose 30+% of their capacity after a few months
- The so called "best" batteries (at the time I looked them up) were pretty damn expensive and an expensive charger was recommended because you can triple the number of charge cycles in a lithium battery by charging it to only 90% of capacity
- The technology is rapidly growing and the information I found was all somewhat dated (6 months or more)
- The number one thing I learned: there isn't a quick easy answer
 
Thanks for the in-put.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom