Recomendations/asking permission help?!?

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
Hey guys, I've been starting to get too advanced and hunted out all the spots on my property and my neighbors'. When I drive I'm always looking for old areas and houses. Then one day I remembered, I'd driven by it maybe 500 times before! A sweet old house (still standing) that looks to be late 1800's maybe even older. Also its so close to my house, I could drive there in like 5 mins and walk there in like 20 mins(I live on back roads). It's abandoned clearly, and there aren't any other houses or buildings in the lot. It looks VERY tempting and promising. I didn't see any 'NO TRESPASSING' signs, and I keep seeing people say if there aren't any signs, I can detect until asked to leave or warned. I tracked down the people who own it, and they live about an hour away from it. So I'm either thinking its their "camp" (17 acres btw which is kinda small for a camp) but I've never seen anybody ever on it or any activity with the building. Or I'm thinking its just owned (possibly and inheritance) by them and they just don't use it. I have the telephone number of the owner from tracking them down. So here's my question, you guys think I could just go there and detect and be as discreet as possible, or call the owner for confirmation. Also if I call the owner, any tips or what do I say?? The house is just SO tempting and it's still standing so I could possibly find stuff in the house as well on the property. It's still cold in PA so I have maybe a week. Thanks

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sure, go ahead and
a) call the owner. Or
b) send a letter. Or
c) show up at their door in the town an hour away from there.

But think of it:
a) what do YOU do when you get a sales call ? You hang up, right?
b) what do YOU do when you junk mail from a total stranger? You throw it away, right?
c) what do you do when you get a solicitor at your door? You say no thankyou and close the door (or pretend you weren't home to begin with, etc...)

But alas, you're asking on a public forum, so, those are the right things to do, even if there's no signs, and it's abandoned, and no one would care or give a durn. There's your answer.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The best way (if you want to go with the permission route), is to catch them in person. Not any of the above 3 methods (for the above mentioned reasons). Eg.: catch them "on their front porch" when you just happened to be passing by. Or find someone who knows them, and get an introduction. Eg.: where do they go to church? do you know anyone who goes there? Find out if they know the neighbors that are still close by. You're " a friend of that persons" right? And so forth.

Yes sometimes that's next to impossible (if they've been gone for years, and you seriously have no way to "bump into them"), but ...... a smile and handshake, and small talk about how you're a history buff "writing a story" about their land and how you're a docent at the historical society, etc... goes a long ways.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
The best way (if you want to go with the permission route), is to catch them in person. Not any of the above 3 methods (for the above mentioned reasons). Eg.: catch them "on their front porch" when you just happened to be passing by. Or find someone who knows them, and get an introduction. Eg.: where do they go to church? do you know anyone who goes there? Find out if they know the neighbors that are still close by. You're " a friend of that persons" right? And so forth.

Yes sometimes that's next to impossible (if they've been gone for years, and you seriously have no way to "bump into them"), but ...... a smile and handshake, and small talk about how you're a history buff "writing a story" about their land and how you're a docent at the historical society, etc... goes a long ways.

I'm definitely gonna play the "history buff" route if I call them. I have no idea who they are and they live like an hour away do I really don't want to drive 1 hr just to ask permission in person then 1 hr back ;(

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've have ask the same question to myself. I live in a small town and have all my life. My family name is four generations old in this area. The answer was simple, all I had to answer was what if I was found by the owner without asking permission? It would not be a comfortable situation and could start unwelcome rumors around town. Which would probably not help you in securing future sites if the word gets around. It just wasn't worth it. It's human nature not wanting to be rejected or in this case be told no. Get over it. if they say no then at least you know and move on. Perfect your approach and what you plan to say. In the beginning I was told no on several occasions and finally I ask one farmer what he felt the reason was for his answer. At first he told me it was none of my business he just didn't want any one digging round his property. When I explained I was only asking because I'd been told no so many times I was just trying to figure out how to do it right. I explained I didn't want to just hunt someone's property without asking but wasn't having much luck. He stood there for a minute with a blank look on his face then stuck his hand out to shake mine and said stay out of the barn and don't make a mess. When he was walking away he turned and said if you find a pocket watch around the old house it's not real gold and he'd like it back. Never did find the watch. Don't be afraid of being told no. Like Tom said cold calls are bad face to face is best. You will be told no get over it and move on. Good luck.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
I've have ask the same question to myself. I live in a small town and have all my life. My family name is four generations old in this area. The answer was simple, all I had to answer was what if I was found by the owner without asking permission? It would not be a comfortable situation and could start unwelcome rumors around town. Which would probably not help you in securing future sites if the word gets around. It just wasn't worth it. It's human nature not wanting to be rejected or in this case be told no. Get over it. if they say no then at least you know and move on. Perfect your approach and what you plan to say. In the beginning I was told no on several occasions and finally I ask one farmer what he felt the reason was for his answer. At first he told me it was none of my business he just didn't want any one digging round his property. When I explained I was only asking because I'd been told no so many times I was just trying to figure out how to do it right. I explained I didn't want to just hunt someone's property without asking but wasn't having much luck. He stood there for a minute with a blank look on his face then stuck his hand out to shake mine and said stay out of the barn and don't make a mess. When he was walking away he turned and said if you find a pocket watch around the old house it's not real gold and he'd like it back. Never did find the watch. Don't be afraid of being told no. Like Tom said cold calls are bad face to face is best. You will be told no get over it and move on. Good luck.

Thank you very much. This helped me understand that I'm afraid of rejection. Ill try my best.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a cold call today and got shot down. It is an old farm house that's abandoned but now part of a commercial farm. The owner of the company was nice about it but it's just policy that only employees are allowed on the property. He thanked me for calling and checking. Bummed that I didn't get permission but that's the way it goes. I would have done a face-to-face but the company that owns the property wasn't nearby.

OP
OP
DiggItUp

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
I did a cold call today and got shot down. It is an old farm house that's abandoned but now part of a commercial farm. The owner of the company was nice about it but it's just policy that only employees are allowed on the property. He thanked me for calling and checking. Bummed that I didn't get permission but that's the way it goes. I would have done a face-to-face but the company that owns the property wasn't nearby.

Yeah that's the thing with me the people who own it are like 1-2 hrs away so... No. Only by phone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread