Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Joey and I hooked up on his day off and made a long road trip to check out some new sites. We got lucky by quickly landing permission at a location Joey had researched, and fortunately those pesky hunters weren't around. It was a gorgeous site well back from and above the river, and it offered quite a stunning view. As soon as we walked into the field we hit a major iron patch and slowly started pulling out colonial artifacts, some which helped to verify the c1680 occupancy of this site. Joey hit paydirt first with a nice cut pistareen, and a little later in the hunt I dug what I thought was a KG copper. But it turned out to be a 1675 Charles II copper farthing, and was in unbelievably good condition for a field-dug coin. Today I dry cleaned it with a toothbrush and toothpick, and then used a little Blue Ribbon coin cleaner topped off with a coating of Renaissance wax. I was pretty happy with the results. One of my first targets was this cool looking large domed button with some interesting designs. I thought it was probably early-to-mid 1800s, but when I was cleaning it I noticed a drilled eye shank which dates it to the late 1700s. I also dug a 1600s nipple button and a couple of fragile pewter buttons. Near the end of the hunt I chased a deep iron signal that led me to a nice colonial hoe that's cleaning up nicely in the electrolysis tank. The hoe was near the bottom of a small burn pit with a lot of charcoal and brick, but I only saw one piece of pottery. Joey and I decided to wait and expand on that spot at a later date. We wrapped up our visit by showing the elderly owner our finds, and we also discussed the history of the property with her. We were invited back anytime, and have plenty of areas for expanding our searches (in addition to looking for Joey's cut silver coin that was apparently dropped in the field somewhere). Had a great time Joey, and thanks again for the invite.

Attachments

• 121313a.JPG
    121313a.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 121313b.JPG
    121313b.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 121313c.JPG
    121313c.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 121313d.JPG
    121313d.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 121313e.JPG
    121313e.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 257
  • 121313j.JPG
    121313j.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 121313i.JPG
    121313i.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 198
  • 121313h.JPG
    121313h.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 121313g.JPG
    121313g.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 121313f.JPG
    121313f.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 121313k.JPG
    121313k.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 121313l.JPG
    121313l.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Upvote 24
That old copper is beautiful! Great condition, gorgeous patina :) Love the old button too! Great hunt, Bill... congrats!

Great finds! The coins are exceptional.

The smaller star button looks just like one I found when hunting in England in October. That is an old one.

wow verry nice coin , and button :icon_thumleft:

Nice farthing Bill, I'm glad it was in great shape since you likely won't dig another anytime soon. Looks like you are on another nice early site. Keep those finds coming, it's been a month since I have been able to get out, so I have to live vicariously through you warm weather diggers :laughing7:

Cool find!!!

Nice finds, I've had the exact same button in England. Turn it around to see the face in the star. I sold mine on ebay earlier this year.

Nice finds, I've had the exact same button in England. Turn it around to see the face in the star. I sold mine on ebay earlier this year.

I saw those 3 marks in the center but had no idea it was a "face". But now that you mention it I think that's exactly what it is. I'd love to see a pic of yours. And if you don't mind me asking, I'm curious as to what price it sold for. Thanks for your comment.

Hello Bill,

I'm trying like mad to find a picture, can't find one on ebay (out of date). And the wife as cleaned up the lap top. I think the button though did feature in one of my posts, on treasure net a couple of years back. I sold the button only for a few pounds. I sold it as a 17th Century man in the moon button.
Robert.

Great finds!

If anyone knows how to search ebay for old sales, my selling name is robfinds (sure I sold it earlier this year).

I found your completed sales but you can't pull up the actual auctions (with pics) past 15 days. If you turn up a pic on your end please post it. Thanks!

Congrats on the farthing.

On a ground found copper coin like this, what a joy it must be to discover a clear date starting with the numbers "1" and "6"! Not many of us will ever have that opportunity. When you and Joey return to this site, I suspect there are more great finds waiting for you. It was great to hear that you showed your finds to the kind landowner, and helped them to understand more about the history of the site. Congrats to both of you, and kudos to Joey for the great research.

Robert, could I get pics of it too? I love old decorative buttons. I'd rather find old relics like this button instead of coins. Thanks

Hello gwdigger, I'm trying to get a picture from the guy I sold it to. I found the button in England, and sold it to a guy in the States. I've contacted him through ebay, so fingers crossed.

My wife is very clever, she had put it on a memory stick.

Thanks a bunch Robert! Yep, that's the exact same button as mine although yours is in much better shape. Any significance to the design that you know of? Does yours also have the drilled eye shank like mine? That type of attachment device dates to the late 1700s so I don't believe mine is a 17th century find even though it was recovered on a c1680 site. Thanks again for your assistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back