ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
red and black glass beads with white hair pipe - 3 strand cherokee choker

found this lil beauty at a old "junk store" type antique shop I often hit due to the interesting items and low prices at it -- at a mere $5 i knew I could not go wrong ,-- it appears to me to be a very old legit cherokee type beaded choker / bracelet type item ---- its strung on deer sinew with 2 buckskin stoppers and a what was a buckskin tab (now mummified like beef jerky) with a hole in the end that it tied thru to secure it . depending upon the length of the sinew thong (which is broken off right at the end so it was of unknown total length)--it could have been either a bracelet for a man or a choker for a woman

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 677
Upvote 0

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Historically, Cherokees didn't make hair pipe chokers. We see them towards the last quarter of the 20th c. though.

People move from one place to another, so this choker probably came from a different State and made by a different tribe.

LRH

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
had it check out at a local native Amereican tribal area in Georgia -- muskeegee they daid most likely mid to late 1800 's time frame --civil war to turn of the century --being 3 strand it was for a female most likely they said.

Little River Hunter

Jun 25, 2012
I.T.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I understand about them, they aren't trustworthy because they do not know about the material cultures of the Muskogee (Creek) Indians. I would say more like late 1800s-very early 1900s. Strands don't make a difference in anything when it comes to SE Indian stuff, but colors do. Red & black wouldn't have been used by Creek women since its a war color.

JRedHorse

Feb 1, 2015
from NH relocating to FL summer 2015
Detector(s) used
I have a Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector but will be upgrading when I hit FL.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
found this lil beauty at a old "junk store" type antique shop I often hit due to the interesting items and low prices at it -- at a mere $5 i knew I could not go wrong ,-- it appears to me to be a very old legit cherokee type beaded choker / bracelet type item ---- its strung on deer sinew with 2 buckskin stoppers and a what was a buckskin tab (now mummified like beef jerky) with a hole in the end that it tied thru to secure it . depending upon the length of the sinew thong (which is broken off right at the end so it was of unknown total length)--it could have been either a bracelet for a man or a choker for a woman

What you have is a Sioux Nations choker and it appears to be a young Males, The way the colors stack up together tells me from the Teton Band. OR someone from 1900 made a knock off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread