Red Hill Lava Flow - The Eye

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I've been in this place a number of times and always intended to take a metal detector. Never got around to it.

It's a middling strange place, an island a lava flow surrounded. There are a number of ancient ruins and campsites there scattered around and some deep enough so's a person has to keep an eye peeled to see where they are. There's no pot-holing nor any other evidence the sites have ever been discovered by looters.

The place is also supposed to have been a hideout for a group of outlaws for a while in the late 1800s and might have been, though I don't know where they'd have gotten water for their livestock. Maybe there's water somewhere in there I've never found [though I wished I had], or maybe the place had water once and dried away like so many other places in the desert southwest because of lowered water tables.

The only supporting evidence I've ever found about it being an outlaw hideout is in the fact vigilantes from Quemado tracked down one and killed him in a gunfight at Goat Springs a few miles north.

On the dirt track west of the flow there's also an old cabin from the early 1900s a person might wish to detect while in the neighborhood.

But the whole area is worth spending some time nosing around in. It's mostly BLM land and a middling neglected place.

Jack

Attachments

• Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 1.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 595
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE9.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE9.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 474
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE8.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE8.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 3.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 3.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 531
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE1.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 522
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE2.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 512
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE3.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 509
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 2a.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye 2a.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 541
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE4.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE4.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 476
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE5.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE5.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE6.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE6.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 475
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE7.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE7.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 496
OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Hi Russ. Thanks for the reply

J

Attachments

• Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE11.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE11.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE12.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE12.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 485
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE13.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE13.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE14.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE14.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 443
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE15.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE15.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 469
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE16.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE16.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE17 MS bw.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE17 MS bw.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 462
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE18 MS bw.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE18 MS bw.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE19 MS bw.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE19 MS bw.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE10.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE10.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 475
OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I'd never looked at the air views of the Red Hill flow before today. But doing it for the purpose of posting it has given me a powerful hankering to get back in there sometime for a closer look at some things I never noticed at ground level.

Attachments

• Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE20 MS bw.jpg
    Red Hill Lava Flow Eye FE20 MS bw.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 479

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
Hey Highmountain,

Interesting information, the land around or near the Red Mesa is now a subdivision. I not sure how far back the towards the lava flow is part of the subdivision, but before going back into the area might be thoughtful to stop at Red Hill real estate office ( on Highway 60) to check the whats and wheres.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
mjido said:
Hey Highmountain,

Interesting information, the land around or near the Red Mesa is now a subdivision. I not sure how far back the towards the lava flow is part of the subdivision, but before going back into the area might be thoughtful to stop at Red Hill real estate office ( on Highway 60) to check the whats and wheres.

Thanks for the info. I was out there three, maybe four years ago most recently. There were a few places off to the west of the hills behind Goat Springs and the generally north/south road there, but not enough to raise eyebrows.

I did notice there weren't 100 cows grazing on ten blades of grass at Goat Springs, which was a first. Nothing left up there but a couple of one-ton bulls. I figured it was because of the extended drought, but maybe that big cattle operation sold everything off.

Worth a stop at Red Hill next time out that way I suppose.

Gracias,
Jack

Edit: I think the Red Mesa area you're talking about must be different from Red Hill. I just websearched Red Hill and no real estate office in the area showed up on the search. Not much else except a laughable treasure story supposed to happen in 1836.
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/HC-Treasures3.html
Treasure Legends of New Mexico - The Red Hill Treasure

Home : USA : New Mexico : Catron County : Populated Places
Red Hill
Populated Place in Catron County, New Mexico, USA.
Latitude: 34.21861 : Longitude: -108.87167 : Elevation: 7261 ft
http://www.placenames.com/us/p910058/

http://newmexico.hometownlocator.com/NM/Catron/Red-Hill.cfm

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Interesting about the possibility of a subdivision out that way, though. Off to the west toward the Arizona line there was some improvement in the roads west of that big highline that runs down from Saint Johns and north of highway 60. That's also where I noticed there appeared to be some dwellings that weren't beatup ranch operations scattered around, maybe half a dozen in a lot of miles.

But I think most of the land east of the highlines is BLM except for an occasional tract of deeded land where ever there's natural water.

It ain't the sort of place I'd expect the land to sell like hotcakes, though I could talk myself into living out there. The ranchers have overgrazed it so long and so hard there's not much left so maybe the outfit owning it decided to throw it into the used-up and no good anymore real estate market. Likely it will come back eventually once the cows are off it if the area gets a few years of rain.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Highmountain said:
Interesting about the possibility of a subdivision out that way, though. Off to the west toward the Arizona line there was some improvement in the roads west of that big highline that runs down from Saint Johns and north of highway 60. That's also where I noticed there appeared to be some dwellings that weren't beatup ranch operations scattered around, maybe half a dozen in a lot of miles.

But I think most of the land east of the highlines is BLM except for an occasional tract of deeded land where ever there's natural water.

It ain't the sort of place I'd expect the land to sell like hotcakes, though I could talk myself into living out there. The ranchers have overgrazed it so long and so hard there's not much left so maybe the outfit owning it decided to throw it into the used-up and no good anymore real estate market. Likely it will come back eventually once the cows are off it if the area gets a few years of rain.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

Lots of land being sold in that part of NM. The ranchers are busting up 10-20-40 acre parcels and bigger. A buddy of mine just bought 22 acres between Fence lake and Quemado for about 60k I think (might be wrong about the price). Same goes for the Datil - Pietown area. Awesome country but some real strange folks moving in. There used to be a bit of risk involved in nosing around some of that country a few years ago, but haven't heard any bad news lately.

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
Roughly 26 miles west of Quemado is the Real estate office for the subdivision, and it also serves as a resident. Its located at Red Hill on Highway 60. Also I own some land north of Quemado in a Subdivision and paid around 900 per acre a number of years ago, and now, as I understand it, the prices have escalated quite a bit. Shucks, even Quemado is growing up, they now have a drive bank, and are putting in quick mart type store. Now, when they put in a stop light I'm out of here!

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
mjido said:
Roughly 26 miles west of Quemado is the Real estate office for the subdivision, and it also serves as a resident. Its located at Red Hill on Highway 60. Also I own some land north of Quemado in a Subdivision and paid around 900 per acre a number of years ago, and now, as I understand it, the prices have escalated quite a bit. Shucks, even Quemado is growing up, they now have a drive bank, and are putting in quick mart type store. Now, when they put in a stop light I'm out of here!

You're in some good country for turning over rocks. You just do metal detecting/THing, or look at ruins as well? Interesting ones I could probably post down in your area but I figured nobody much had an interest in that sort of thing. In fact, Tinaja I posted somewhere on here when you asked about the Quemado area a while back is a good'un that way, though nowhere near the best.

Jack

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
mjido said:

Maybe sometime when you're headed to Springerville for whatever you can swing by the Red Hill Real Estate Office and pick up a plat sketch or brochure to find out what's going on and being sold off out there. If you do I'd be obliged if you'd post it.

Gracias,
Jack

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
Highmountain,

No problem, the next time we head over to Springerville I will stop at the real estate office and see what I can come up with.

jim

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Highmountain ,
Did some pokin around out in the Quemado area back in '89 , sure did get some nasty looks on some of them back roads , made me wonder what they might have been growing way out around there in the boondocks :D , I suppose it has gottin better , lots of folks from AZ are buying land in that area
MB

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
MesaBuddy said:
Highmountain ,
Did some pokin around out in the Quemado area back in '89 , sure did get some nasty looks on some of them back roads , made me wonder what they might have been growing way out around there in the boondocks :D , I suppose it has gottin better , lots of folks from AZ are buying land in that area
MB

Hi MesaBuddy: Yeah, Quemado was a strange town back in those days. Might still be. I used to go into town for a night when I was up in the canyons more than a week so's for a night in a motel bed and a shower. Come morning I'd always eat at the restaurant next door, and I'd frequently see the same young man either as I came in or went out.

Took me several times to realize when I said, "Morning!", and he hawkered and spat, he was doing it deliberately and wasn't just ignoring my hello. That went on for a good many years, never changed. Me: "Good morning." Him: "Hawk-Spit"

Unusual town.

Jack

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
My favorite Quemado memory was having a .45 auto pointed in my snoot when my pal and I knocked on a door and asked a recent Chicago transplant south of town for directions one fine morning. His answer was, 'git'. We got.

OP
OP
Highmountain

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
Springfield said:
My favorite Quemado memory was having a .45 auto pointed in my snoot when my pal and I knocked on a door and asked a recent Chicago transplant south of town for directions one fine morning. His answer was, 'git'. We got.

Springfield: Under the circumstances that might have been the best course. Him being from Chicago you couldn't exactly invite his kid out onto the porch to play the banjo side of Dueling Banjos.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions