Regarding Mining claims updated with pics from this weekend sunstone stuff

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
David and I are considering buying a sunstone mine and Jeffro suggested filing our own claim rather than buying one. While researching how to go about this I came across this site and thought others here might be interested in the information as well.

http://www.blm.gov/or/pubroom/files/ORWA-BLM-MINING-PACKET.pdf

I hope the information is helpful to others as well. :D

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Re: Regarding Mining claims

Thanks for the information, it will be saved for later use. Regarding the sunstone mine/mining. Where are the closes sunstones being mined from the Portland area. We have talked about going to one of the sunstone mine and trying our hand at it. I know there are a few you can Pay and dig for them. I never thought about researching on their location and making a claim for digging them. Can you send me some information about what you have found out.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

The Lake County BLM office has information on the free digging area that is open to the public. We went to Dust Devil Mines the last time we went down and they are incredible people. Their website is http://www.dustdevilmining.com/FeeDigging/Digging.asp and we will be by there again this weekend as well as the mine we are talking about buying. I have also heard good things about Spectrum mining but have not been there. Dust Devil does not charge anything unless you get colored stones then a very small fee (i.e. $10). You can look at my post in Today's finds called Oregon Sunstone Trip to see what all we got and had no charge. It was great! You can pm me anytime and I would be happy to answer what questions I can! ~Cyndi~

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Well it was a long weekend but a lot of fun. We came back with lots of stones, one that is 151.5 carats but clear of course. About the claim we went to look at, Oh my goodness was that ever a trial. First of all it is waaaaay past the public area and on some primitive roads....then when you get out there it is about a mile PAST even the road at all and up on a hill. The site had someone make one dig through (looks like the width of a cat and maybe 10 ft deep) many years ago then the claim was abandoned then this guy's friend was out riding and he saw the area and told him about it so he staked a claim. He never dug on it, just walked around and picked up what was on top of the ground and said he didn't have time to mess with it anymore because he had a couple of gold mines he was going to spend the summer on. David asked quite a few questions the guy never answered which made him pretty nervous and considering that as well as how long it would take to get there then no road into the claim we were really not interested in buying the claim. I think either staking your own claim or going to Dust Devil or the public dig area is a better idea than tying up that kind of money. Anyway, we stopped by and visited with Steve at Dust Devil on the way out and he was glad to hear we had decided not to buy the claim as he said to make sure and do DUE DILLIGENCE in researching anything before buying it as there are some people that are less than honest to deal with in the area right now. We heard the same thing from the people we rented the RV from while we were there. We did have a great time and Steve fell in love with our jerky so we promised to bring some to barter with next time! lol So that is where we stand with David's interest in a sunstone mine. Our next trip is a GPAA/LDMA trip to blue bucket mine May 25th, 26th and 27th from the sounds of it. :D

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio

Sounds like a a lot fun and work you had this weekend Cyn. How large of a area was the claim. Sounds like a lot of digging where there might not be anything. been nice if they guy would have had a few samples of what was to be expected out of it. Also appears to be a tidy sum of money your were going to put out. Can't believe the guy didn't at least meet you there and show you around.

You have any pictures of the stones you brought back from the weekend. You ever had any of them faceted into ring size gems yet. I plan on getting a faceting machine for this winter. Was going to get one last year but didn't realize they were so expensive. Seems like a nice hobby when we're closed in during the winter.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Well I actually did get some pictures while we were down there. 1) David poking around at the claim, notice the rocks behind him 2) those same rocks from the primitive road lol a looooooong ways 3) a picture of our pile of stones for this weekend 4) a close up with a quarter for size reference

We have yet to facet any stones or do anything else with any for that matter. :-S We need to figure out what we want to do or we are gonna have a huge pile collected. I have seen where there are a lot of places on the internet where you can learn to facet stones but am afraid to put out yet more money then find out it is far more complicated than that. Would be fun to try though! :D Anyway, enjoy the pictures! Let us know if you decide to go down and find some of your own, maybe we will run into you there! :)

Attachments

• 07may2007 002.jpg
    07may2007 002.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 689
  • 07may2007 009.jpg
    07may2007 009.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 655
  • 07may2007 010.jpg
    07may2007 010.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 754
  • 07may2007 015.jpg
    07may2007 015.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 714
OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
ooops I see the picture on 2 was the megazoom picture instead of the one that showed the real distance from the road! Here is the picture showing how far the rocks are from the road. Also since you had asked....the claim was 60 acres most of which was on the far side of the hill and the price was almost $40k, just was not the spot for us.

Attachments

• 07may2007 008.jpg
    07may2007 008.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 725

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Sounds like you folks made the right decision. Good for you! Glad you had fun again as well. What're you gonna do with all those stones?

I'll have to get a pic up of the one I had made for Mom, it turned out pretty good.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
We still don't know what we are going to do with them all Jeff. We have so much fun out mining for them we had better find something to do with them soon! I would love to see pictures of the one you had done for your mom! Who did you have facet it? You can send pictures to my email [email protected] or [email protected] if you want to. I can't wait to see it! :D

T

TreasureTales

The next time you're in that area, drive down to Lakeview and visit with Johann at the rock shop (M Street, I think, anyhow her address is in the yellowpages under crafts). Besides the rock shop, I think she still owns a sunstone claim and she might be willing to sell it since she's no spring chicken. Even if she doesn't sell it, she might let you dig on if for free. She's a very knowledgable woman and is more than willing to share her knowledge with people who are genuinely interested in learning. Her shop is worth visiting and her prices are very reasonable. Tell her Nut Mountain Mary said hello.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
TreasureTales said:
The next time you're in that area, drive down to Lakeview and visit with Johann at the rock shop (M Street, I think, anyhow her address is in the yellowpages under crafts). Besides the rock shop, I think she still owns a sunstone claim and she might be willing to sell it since she's no spring chicken. Even if she doesn't sell it, she might let you dig on if for free. She's a very knowledgable woman and is more than willing to share her knowledge with people who are genuinely interested in learning. Her shop is worth visiting and her prices are very reasonable. Tell her Nut Mountain Mary said hello.

Thanks so much! I would love to meet her! I will let David know about this and hopefully we will get down to visit with her. Thanks so much for letting us know, that was very sweet. :)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I sure would love to make it out that way and do some digging. Maybe when we pick up our tent trailer...

Happy hunting and best of luck with filing a claim!

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
eathan said:
I sure would love to make it out that way and do some digging. Maybe when we pick up our tent trailer...

Happy hunting and best of luck with filing a claim!

Well if you get out that way make sure and let us know in case we will be down there then too! :D

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Sounds good! We've never dug sunstones, so would probably help to have someone point us in the right direction. :)

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
sounds like so much funnnnnnnnnnnnn maybe at some point next year, I will be able to join in the fun. I have researched the area via net, seen lots of pics but really want to go there too. I will keep in touch,

hey tink, how is it going????

blessings

G

Gone_Bananas

Cynangyl,

I ran across this thread the other day and was wondering about something. Did I possibly meet you and David up on Quartzville Creek at one of the GPAA claims a few weeks ago? I remember the two people I met introduced themselves as David and Cindy (could be spelled a different way) and had just came from hunting sunstones in eastern Oregon. They drove a black pick-up truck, newer model. What are the odds of there being another David and Cindy who had just been sunstoning? I figured you and them are the same people! My name is Lee and I was doing a little sluicing and detecting.

OP
OP
C

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Yes! So glad to see you again! That was us and what a funny coincidence that we should meet here too! We just spent another weekend down getting sunstones and got some mighty nice ones that I will post pictures of tomorrow. We are headed up to the GPAA/LDMA outing this next weekend too, up at the Blue Bucket Claim....you going?? Would definitely be good to see you again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread