Regiment of Voltigeurs and Foot Riflemen Button (Better Pictures)

Capt. Brad

Nov 19, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's TDI
Started out as a bad day. I was reconning some new area. Spent about an hour and a half in the woods fighting all kinds of bugs with no luck. Decided to go back to an old house site that I had been to before. Found this nice eagle with a "V". Pictures did not come out to well. Excuse the fork and the cork. According to Albert's this unit was in service during the Mexican war between Feb. 11, 1847 and Aug. 25, 1848. Shank is intact and reads Scovills & Co. with 3 stars on the back. Will try to get better pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC01130.JPG
    DSC01130.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC01132.JPG
    DSC01132.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC01136.JPG
    DSC01136.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC01135.JPG
    DSC01135.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC01137.JPG
    DSC01137.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0
Re: Regiment of Voligeurs and Riflemen Button

What a sweet find!!! Banner!

I've only seen one in my book :o
Banner vote here! Congratulations :thumbsup:

Capt. Brad,

Welcome to the Eagle "V" Club! I found mine about a month ago. Always nice to find something you've never seen before. They seem to hold up well in the ground. Good brass maybe. Kudos! Here's mine:

Attachments

• 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 960
  • 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 816

Yes indeed, a Mexican War era Eagle "V". That's a nice pre-Civil War eagle you have found. Good Job! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

{Sentinel} said:
Yes indeed, a Mexican War era Eagle "V". That's a nice pre-Civil War eagle you have found. Good Job! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thank you Sent., :thumbsup:Yes PRE Civil war,and the A#1on my want to dig list!! :thumbsup:

Yes, manufactured pre-war, but used by units during the war, as well. Mine is from a campsite far from any habitation evidence. Other CW buttons were found within yards of it. Draw your own conculsions, but be careful about expressing them here.

DirtDigler said:
Yes, manufactured pre-war, but used by units during the war, as well. Mine is from a campsite far from any habitation evidence. Other CW buttons were found within yards of it. Draw your own conculsions, but be careful about expressing them here.
8)

My statement is directed at the posting member of this post. Not at you, Kuger.

kuger said:
DirtDigler said:

Really?Is that a threat?Been here a little longer than you,and If so,I suggest you do a little more research than taking a "Salesmans",word for it!!!Anytime you would like to discuss history I will be your Huckleberry!!In the meantime let your imagination run!!Maybe explain,"WHY",were they manufactured before the Civil war??????

Sorry you feel threatened, Kuger. I didn't realize you had to be here a certain amount of time prior to debating a point with someone. As for Mr. Ridgeway, I doubt you could call him a "salesman". He's what is known as an expert on the topic. And since I've already posted a link to the story behind this unit, I deemed it was unnecessary to repost.

What's all tension about. I post a button that I thought was on the rare side, and two folks get in a shouting match. WTF.

Capt. Brad said:
What's all tension about. I post a button that I thought was on the rare side, and two folks get in a shouting match. WTF.

Sorry sir,your button is a stellar find,and RARE.Somebody just has an active imagination,and I dont like history being misrepresented,especially ones with such richness as the Volts.
Surplus were BELEIVED to have been used by Virgians in the C.W,but they go a lot further back than that!!

Brad, not shouting here. Sorry to involve you in any tension. Kuger has had it in for me since I posted that my Eagle "V" button was likely used by a Virginia militia unit. That info was gleaned from Harry Ridgeway's Reference Archive, but apparently Kuger is more knowledgeable on the topic. He expressed his opinion that Ridegeway's opinion means nothing since he's a "salesman". He's been hounding my posts ever since. Sorry for taking away from the moment of your bliss. Please check out the link enclosed to find more on your Voltigeur button.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonAAA.htm

I am not sure if the topic of disagreement has to do with this button was worn by the North or the South. I can tell you that this was found on a Southern farm. (Va. Beach, VA.) I believe as the war began, people wore whatever uniforms were avialiable. Including those from the Mexican War.

Re: Regiment of Voligeurs and Foot Riflemen Button

Well said, Brad. Ridgeway notes that more of these buttons are found in Virginia than in the Mexican War theater. My thought was that Northern troops were issued uniforms when they enlisted, whereas Southern troops were more likely to use what they had, or could find. Since the Voltigeur unit was disbanded by that time, I believe the surplus was more likely used by the South. And that's my opinion. :)

A great and rare find either way. You should see the "V" belt buckles. Now that would be a find!

An additional point. The uniforms of the Voyageurs were gray instead of the traditional blue of the army at the time. Another possible reason for the use of the uniform.

Very true, Brad. Also goes for the North using them. I doubt they'd want grey uniforms on their own troops. Might be some friendly-fire incidents.

DirtDigler said:
Brad, not shouting here. Sorry to involve you in any tension. Kuger has had it in for me since I posted that my Eagle "V" button was likely used by a Virginia militia unit. That info was gleaned from Harry Ridgeway's Reference Archive, but apparently Kuger is more knowledgeable on the topic. He expressed his opinion that Ridegeway's opinion means nothing since he's a "salesman". He's been hounding my posts ever since. Sorry for taking away from the moment of your bliss. Please check out the link enclosed to find more on your Voltigeur button.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/zArchiveButtonAAA.htm

Dont flatter yourself Digler,had it in for ya huh?Wow!!Yea,as a matter of fact there are few things Ridgeway is incorrect on,but he like us is human,and I dont hold it against him!Makes no sense that he can claim more are found in C.W. sites when they were produced for an actual unit that had nothing to do with the C.W.....possibly has something to do with the fact the big $ comes from C.W. items HMMMM?

Kuger, I won't continue to play your game. If you want conflict, take your ego and find it elsewhere. I will put you on 'Ignore' and put a stop to this now. Brad, again my apologies. Keep up the good hunting in VA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back