Removing deposits from flint: Updated-Photo Added

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I found a nice point this weekend but it's so encrusted with junk, I can't see the flint. I tried vinegar for 24 hours and that didn't phase it. I doubt that olive oil will either. Treefrog has mentioned using acid to clean his finds and I'm wondering if that's a good solution, looks like it works great for him. If so, what type of acid? Any other non acidic approaches?

This is the piece in question, would you dip it?

Attachments

• DSCF1575.JPG
    DSCF1575.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
I have a dental pick set that I use to clean calcium off of my cave found artifacts. You can pick one up online for like 30 bucks. Its tedious work but no risk of damaging the stone.

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
1320, did it bubble and smoke when dropped into it?
thats hard to believe it didnt take it off, it has always taken everything of my point. did you dilute it with water or anything, or use it 100 %. ?
is the acid new or old?
Tree

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Tree, thanks for replying again, I was hoping you'd see this post. I bought the acid from Lowes the day I tried to clean it but I guess that doesn't mean that it's new (never thought of that). I tried a 50/50 mix, poured the acid into the water and stirred with a paint stick, nothing....no bubbling, no smoke. It was rather cool (mid 40's) that day but I'm guessing that temps wouldn't affect the acid. Maybe the gallon I bought is old or is it possible that my mix ratio is too weak?

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
Ive never tried to water it down, put the point in a plastic cup, pour just enough 100% to cover it, it should boil,smoke,bubble, leave it on for 30 secs or so swirling it around in the cup, then water it down and dilute it down and rinse good, watch don't get it on urself though. I only handle the cup then let water run into it for several minutes before I pour it out and handle the point.
Tree

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions