What's new

REPEL: DEET or PICARIDIN ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,847
Reaction score
76,291
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought both today

which is better

15 % Picaridin

6_230159.webp

or

98.11 Deet ?

41H5OplFnpL__SL500_AA300_.webp

Or mix 'em :tongue3:
 
Move to Southern California...no bugs

Then you could change your handle to Jeff of CA
 
stefen said:
Move to Southern California...no bugs

Then you could change your handle to Jeff of CA

No bugs? Then you haven't been in nature my friend. Granted, I am from New Orleans, and the bugs here are no comparison to the bugs there, but we have lots here. Mosquitoes, biting flies, gnats, chiggers. Yeah we have 'em.

Jeff, I think either would suffice, but Picaridin can be tolerated by the human body for longer periods and in larger doses than Deet. Also, Deet can screw up some man made fabrics (nylon I believe).

I guess it also depends on what you want to repel. Just mosquitoes either works. For biting flies and other pests as well as mosquiroes, then go with Deet.

Mike
 
Jeff, neither of these are effective against deer ticks. Permethrin is the only way to go if ticks are a concern.
 
tjc45 said:
Jeff, neither of these are effective against deer ticks. Permethrin is the only way to go if ticks are a concern.

Right. I'm a surveyor, and see my share of bugs, sometimes a true hell. Permethrin on clothes and as little skin exposure as possible. DEET on your exposed skin. Staying out of Canada for black flies................. :laughing7:

Here's a link on Picaridin:
http://www.buggspray.com/picaridin.html

The kids legs say it all.
 
Bum Luck said:
tjc45 said:
Jeff, neither of these are effective against deer ticks. Permethrin is the only way to go if ticks are a concern.

Right. I'm a surveyor, and see my share of bugs, sometimes a true hell. Permethrin on clothes and as little skin exposure as possible. DEET on your exposed skin. Staying out of Canada for black flies................. :laughing7:

Here's a link on Picaridin:
http://www.buggspray.com/picaridin.html

The kids legs say it all.

Good info Thanks !
Guess I Have an Expensive Bottle of water :tongue3:



tjc45 said:
Jeff, neither of these are effective against deer ticks. Permethrin is the only way to go if ticks are a concern.

tj I am aware of Permethrin,
but not one to soak my clothes then
remember to change into them
right before heading out..

Half the time I Don't even remember to
grab my detector, wallet, or what's
left of my short term memory
before heading out :dontknow:
 
My only experience is with DEET and it works well for me. Most my digging is in the woods and the deet keeps the skeeters away. I use the Deep Woods Off which I think only has like 25% DEET, but it does the trick.

-Swartzie
 
Also.....no cologne, after shave, under arm spray, and no washie hair smelly shampoo......
I think you should avoid certain colors also.....Yellow is one I have heard of.......

You could always take a friend along.....spray him with strong cologne and they will attack him and not you LOL
 
I spray my clothes with Permethrin. Then a little Repel 98% deet on my skin. We have a severe problem with Chiggers here. If you've ever had them, they are absolutely nasty. Nothing like breaking out all over in a chicken pock type rash and itching for 2 weeks.
 
JUst read an article that Bounce Dryer sheets will work to repel these bugs! REALLY!! :headbang:
 
goverton said:
JUst read an article that Bounce Dryer sheets will work to repel these bugs! REALLY!! :headbang:

I Think it's alot like those who
say 'Skin so soft" (I think that's the name. by avon ? )

But I Believe it's a "Very old Wives" tale.
from back in the day before Bugs built
up immunity to alot of things.

or before Enviromental, animal & Health Nut Jobs
forced companies to change their ingrediants.

we need to spray more DDT
 
goverton said:
JUst read an article that Bounce Dryer sheets will work to repel these bugs! REALLY!! :headbang:

Where was that, "National Enquirer"? Or "Soap Opera Daily"?
 
Here's my solution. I wear shorts. I spray 99% deet on legs, arms and neck in back ( they always seem to attack from the rear). This keeps the mosquito's and biting flys at bay and I can see any tick that gets on my legs. This worked great in the Dents Run area. Frank
 
Avon skin so soft,them game wardens in Maine use it!!!!!!
 
Never had a problem with bugs of anykind anywhere in the world.

Maybe its because I use Packers pine tar soap, Bay Rum aftershave that is full of citronella
and smoke a pipe :laughing7:

Whatever the one or the combo of them all it works for me :wink:
 
Jeep said:
Never had a problem with bugs of anykind anywhere in the world.

Maybe its because I use Packers pine tar soap, Bay Rum aftershave that is full of citronella
and smoke a pipe :laughing7:

Whatever the one or the combo of them all it works for me :wink:

I'v used cigs to help,
but digging with a smoke in my mouth
gets smoke in my eyes.

Don't remember where,
But my nephew & I were hunting the other week,
& I could hear the bugs bouncing off my hat they
were that thick. & that was with headphones on.
 
jeff of pa said:
Jeep said:
Never had a problem with bugs of anykind anywhere in the world.

Maybe its because I use Packers pine tar soap, Bay Rum aftershave that is full of citronella
and smoke a pipe :laughing7:

Whatever the one or the combo of them all it works for me :wink:

I'v used cigs to help,
but digging with a smoke in my mouth
gets smoke in my eyes.

Don't remember where,
But my nephew & I were hunting the other week,
& I could hear the bugs bouncing off my hat they
were that thick. & that was with headphones on.

LOL, made me think of this:
 
Jeff, I have been using " skin so soft" from Avon for years. It seems to work better than anything else, that I tried. I cut it in half with water and wipe it on any exposed skin. I don't get any bites at all, with this on. Everyone is different and this is just my own results.
Happy Trails, Clayton
 
simonds said:
Jeff, I have been using " skin so soft" from Avon for years. It seems to work better than anything else, that I tried. I cut it in half with water and wipe it on any exposed skin. I don't get any bites at all, with this on. Everyone is different and this is just my own results.
Happy Trails, Clayton

I saw something at walmart on the shelf with the ones I Bought.
It was a name Close to " skin so soft" but slightly different.
I figured Knockoff (Counterfeit) " skin so soft"
 
Neither, Deet is really harmfull and should never be sprayed on children ,try usuing Avon Skin so Soft it reaally works well. :read2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom