Repoduction Pottery

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Anyone know a good web site that explains how to reproduce indian pottery?

...so there I was, just sitting around thinking about all the really cool pieces of pottery I have. Then as if by an act of God, the better half, who happens to be in a free thinking pottery class at the college asks - "I need an idea for my class, but it has to be something different."

BINGO!

I am going to LEND ;D her a couple of shards with some cool patterns and let her see if she can reproduce them... authentically... the real, and correct way. I figure that since she is a woman and the women of the village made all the pottery, maybe she can make some really cool pieces. All those patterns to choose from...

Just goes to prove that women had to decorate everything that they put their hands on even back then!!!

;D ;D ;D

What we need to know is how they fired them.

Any help SHE would appreciate... I'll appreciate your help later... when she brings them home!

;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Hey, I don't have the site off hand but I will go look for it. There's a company out there selling kits complete with everything you need to reproduce a piece of Native pottery- complete with the clay, grogg, paint, directions etc... I ran across it one night while I was looking for information on pottery restoration. Well, I just went and looked, can't find it again... I get into the far reaches of the internet late at night some times.. god only knows where I found that. ???

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Well, the school will provide her with everything she needs, she just wants to do it the real way and fire them in the traditional manner. At least if she uses the kiln it will be more durable! LOL The only things I have found so far are for the Hopi style pottery... the pretty painted stuff. Thanks anyway. Somebody is sure to have an answer.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
That is a really cool site. LOADS of info! Thanks a ton!

Anyone have any info on the pottery of the Apaches? What I have found seems similar, but the designs are different.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother and I have made pottery befor and I will try and take a picture or 2. The most aggravating thing was burning and smashing the mussell shells to mix in the clay. The shells and the clay were not hard for us to get being as we live in the middle of nowhere and we fish all the time. We fired ours in a fireplace insert by building the fire on the outside of it but we werent getting the fire clouds, dark spots on the pottery, that made 'em look original. So we started doing it like the Original Americans did and we signed the bottom of everyone of 'em so nobody would try and sell 'em as originals. The first picture is one of the first ones we did, with out rubbing the clay with a wet stone before it was fired. Also our shell mix was a little thick and not crushed fine enough. But we were learning. The 2nd one is after we sorta figured out what we were doing...d2

Attachments

• DSC01037.JPG
    DSC01037.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC01038.JPG
    DSC01038.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 162
A

Atlantis0077

Morning....

Glad you liked the site....now it is about the Caddo pottery, not the "out west" stuff, but gives some good photos and info...the more you dig into the site the more you find. Here are a couple of shots of pottery....you tell me what is authentic and what is artifake...hehehe

Atlantis

Attachments

• pottery 009.jpg
    pottery 009.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 159
  • pottery 010.jpg
    pottery 010.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 161
  • houseNrelics 071.jpg
    houseNrelics 071.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 171
OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Hmmm... I would say that the shards are real for sure. Can't see why anyone would make repo shards! LOL Those are really nice pieces. That is what I am hoping for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread