Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just post these for comparison purposes only, as these are modern repros for the tourist trade in the 4 Corners area. They don't pass them off as genuine artifacts, but generally in the past they were just triangular shaped rocks with some chips flaked off the edges. They're getting better, and these caught my eye. At first glance anyway. One thing I noticed is generally the overall flaking on pieces I find is a little bit more uniform, especially along the edges. The edges on these are a little rough on close examination. There is something that looks wrong about the notching, too, in my view. I don't buy or sell arrowheads, but hopefully nobody comes across one of these and spends a bunch of money on them. Study the real thing, then look at these. Other folks on here can point out other differences to look for. I believe they come out of Mexico, and it probably takes the guy about 30 minutes to an hour to knock one out.

Attachments

• 5-27b.jpg
    5-27b.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 5-27c.jpg
    5-27c.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 5-27d.jpg
    5-27d.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 5-27e.jpg
    5-27e.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 5-27f.jpg
    5-27f.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Made in the village of Khambat, India. It takes them about 6 minutes to make the big ones from slabs of agate, and if you buy a couple hundred they are less than a dollar a point.

They are cheap enough that some knappers buy them and pressure flake them a bit to make them less fake looking. The ones you posted look better than most.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/13689...om.html?spm=a2706.7843667.1998817009.3.L9LxAD

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had heard of India also as a source joshuaream and you're probably right on the source of these. And yeah I intended to buy some and do some practice knapping on around camp. I thought these were more of an educational tool though. They are better than what you used to see for sale in the souvenir section, and I must say the knapping on the tip of that one point is pretty good. As far as the price, it's what the market will bear, and I saw them for 5 to 15 dollars. I paid 5 bucks each for these. Anyway, I just posted them as an example of modern tourist trade points for folks to compare.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
YUP, India indian made.

Weds I saw a few sets of three in smaller Ryker boxes for sale for $20.00 each at the flee market and the seller declared them to be authentic. I told him better and his response was he was told they were real from the guy he bought them from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread