63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so those of us in California and some of us in Alberta have been politically ostracized from our claims or it is just too cold to go in the water let alone walk outside and away from all that good wood fired heat. You did cut up several cords of log wood for the winter didn't you? We have taken to looking at coinhunting sites as so little is happening in the way of prospecting for gold. A few folks have had it with the dredging ban and are threatening a revolt but other than this not much is going on. So, what if you had just completed helping to build a High Tech Shooting Range in Park City Utah and had been gifted with a good quantity of ~1/8" outside diameter Aircraft Quality steel cable, what would "YOU" do with it? What project to put it towards? How would it be fashioned I mean, not just cable clamps, connectors what type and again what ideas do you have for its use??

I will lead out with these offerings:
1) Anti bear food bag cables. That is - hang a cable up high and use it to keep your food safe from bears and other unwanted guests in camp (pick your list of what you consider to be unwanted) For those of you who have never had a camp visited by bears, just consider yourselves lucky. Lost food, lost equipment (tents, sleeping bag, backpack nylon bag shreded), etc. It is Not Fun!

2) For long term camps - an overhead cable to help support sun shade tarps or even the tent

3) Snubbers to keep sluice boxes from going down river during high, fast water or just in general to keep them there

Come on, this should be a bit more entertaining than coinhunting sites, though I must admit some of the stuff that's come up lately is pretty cool. Share your thoughts!!

Another thing, Christmas is coming - it's actually the celebration of the birth of someone special. Share the best of yourself with others just because it feels good. Merry Christmas to all and lets make it a good New Year!!.........63bkpkr

What the coil of cable looks like:

192_9281.JPG

And as a last note here's me just now getting ready to move to Santa Cruz

192_9286.JPG

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Allan,
Thank you for your input! I am not familiar with zip lines so could you expand on your comment as to how the zip line and pulley would do what?.............63bkpkr

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Zip lines are cables run from point "A" to point "B" with a little incline, you put on a harness attach to a trolley at the high end and away you go. These are popular in tourist trap rain forest resorts.

You say are moving to Santa Cruz, I thought that was prime ECO-BEAR country. How you gona survive with all those high falootn liberals?

Gramps

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gramps,
The move to Santa Cruz is a 4 to 6 week only type of thing. I have a handyman job to do there on a rental house that was abused by renters and then I will be back out hopefully with a job in my field. I will survive as mostly I will be isolated.

Thank you for the input on how a zip line is used, just goes to show I truly do not know everything. It is a worthwhile idea to keep handy especially as I've quite a length of that nice steel cable. In order to combat the bears from stealing/wrecking camp supplies I've taken to bringing a steel cable with me on all of my backpacking trips. I have a pulley on one end, the opposite end goes over a branch, down to a tree and quick clips to a loop at that end of the cable to secure it to the tree it is wrapped around. So far no bear has been determined enough to chew through that steel cable. Rope they have no problem with but the steel cable breaks teeth, cuts lips/tongues/etc.

Thank you for the original post of Agenda 21. Since this is a special day to me I do not want to get into this subject but from the inputs I've gotten so far some respected people realize that it is real, that it has gone pretty far while others consider it to be nothing more than business as usual that they feel "someone else" will fight it for them. More later. Have a wonderful day!...63bkpkr

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Agenda 21 is real and its going tobe our downfall! the people that dont/wont beleive it are the ones that rely on others todo their work for them and then complain when it dont go as "they" wanted it to! get involved or get out of the way!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i was thinkin , since you enjoy backpacking
how about a lite duty rocknet

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi 2C,
Do you think a light duty rock net would work better than a set of tire chains? I've been using a fairly good set of "real tire chains" and so far they have worked well. If I had the crimping tool I could see making a rock net that way but I do not own one and using the U bolt type clamps does not excite me. How would you build the net?

Thanks for the input............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread