Rescued a couple of doughboys

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped down to my "park o relics" to see what history I can save this evening while dinner was in the oven.
I did manage to retrieve the usual foil, tabs, nails, and cans but also rescued a few keepers.
1956D wheatie
Winchester New Rival 12ga Headstamp
And my first lead soldier. 2 of them. They were deep and about 2 foot apart.
No markings but are WW1 doughboys.
The one without the base has teeth marks on one side. Can't figure out if they are animal or human.
Any ideas of when these were made?

14152CF2-25FE-4E3D-8A93-D5E673DF6313.jpeg 867E0B71-36E0-441C-AAA5-1CF840E657CD.jpeg

Upvote 15

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped down to my "park o relics" to see what history I can save this evening while dinner was in the oven.
I did manage to retrieve the usual foil, tabs, nails, and cans but also rescued a few keepers.
1956D wheatie
Winchester New Rival 12ga Headstamp
And my first lead soldier. 2 of them. They were deep and about 2 foot apart.
No markings but are WW1 doughboys.
The one without the base has teeth marks on one side. Can't figure out if they are animal or human.
Any ideas of when these were made?

View attachment 1559660 View attachment 1559661

Nice recoveries, neohio!! I'm interested in the age of those doughboys, too.........I found 2 in 2016.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relics, congratulations! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old lead soldiers. Subteranean seems to be the go to guy for identifying these lead toy figures. Hopefully he'll be checking in soon. Nice digs.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the the lead toy soldiers. Congrats.

As K1 stated, Subterranean will be along shortly to ID them.

Good luck!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chizzy, Your soldiers appear to be from a home-casting kit sold in the 1920's-30's. Someone did a good job on them as there is no "flash," i.e. useless metal left stuck around the seams. I hope you can find some more on your site! Cheers, Sub 8-)

kast a toy.jpg home cast soldiers.jpg

OP
OP
neodetectorist

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chizzy, Your soldiers appear to be from a home-casting kit sold in the 1920's-30's. Someone did a good job on them as there is no "flash," i.e. useless metal left stuck around the seams. I hope you can find some more on your site! Cheers, Sub 8-)

View attachment 1559961 View attachment 1559963

AWESOME Thanks Sub.
Like I said I found them in the woods but on a small riser that maybe is 12 foot in diameter. A great place for a child to play army. I will definitely hit it low and slow to see if there are more.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool, got the ID too.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME Thanks Sub.
Like I said I found them in the woods but on a small riser that maybe is 12 foot in diameter. A great place for a child to play army. I will definitely hit it low and slow to see if there are more.

My apologies for referring to you by the wrong name, neohiiodetectorist! Best of luck on that battleground! Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions