research & finding hunt sites

Jesusfreakmccn

Jan 20, 2014
North East England
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiya folks. I've just started metal detecting and I can hearing that to randomly go detecting any where is doomed to disaster. The advice is no doubt good and I've read the usual recommended sites of farmers fields if you can get permission, old parks, woods, places where lots of people have been and activity has taken place blah blah blah !!!

Now I might just be learning my machine BUT I want to go to sites that give me the optimum chance of finding something...no change that to anything other than rubbish !

So come on guys share with this girl the wealth of you knowledge and give me some good sites that I can go to and tips for research and things to look out for. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hiya folks. I've just started metal detecting and I can hearing that to randomly go detecting any where is doomed to disaster. The advice is no doubt good and I've read the usual recommended sites of farmers fields if you can get permission, old parks, woods, places where lots of people have been and activity has taken place blah blah blah !!! Now I might just be learning my machine BUT I want to go to sites that give me the optimum chance of finding something...no change that to anything other than rubbish ! So come on guys share with this girl the wealth of you knowledge and give me some good sites that I can go to and tips for research and things to look out for. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.:icon_scratch:

Research history books of your area. And hits for google on the history of your area, for the following:

Any places in the hills or countryside near you, where yester-year picnic spots or camps used to be. Look for those that went defunct, and no longer exist or are used (so that you're not dealing with modern debri, tabs, foil, clad, etc...). Like old boyscout or girlscout camps that are no longer in use. Or old fraternal lodge or church retreat type camps. Or old picnic grounds where everyone buggied out in their wagons or model T's for Sunday picnics. Hopefully such spots in the sticks around you are just naked ground now (cow pastures, or whatever that never got any subsequent structures or usages thereafter).

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I'd have to say part of the interest in metal detecting comes for the research or at least in my mind should. The reward of your research will be you finds. I know for a fact you can't expect what works for one person to work for the next. Mrs. Jesusfreak you live in some of the oldest part of this Country. I would die to detect that area. Assuming your new to the hobby a simple drive around town or country should reveal old homes or homesteads that would be a starting point. Reading the local history has been my best clue.The harder part is gaining access to the properties you believe may hold the treasure. I have found many potential areas just to be refused permission. I believe this is why many give up on this hobby. If you want to succeed in this part of metal detecting you need to perfect the way you approach a landowner. How do you do this? I can't say. It's a matter of trial and error inmost cases. I have lived in my community all my life so I have an advantage of knowing many of the families and farmers. Some who's relatives were actual settlers of the area. If this is not the case then you have to come up with a different plan. Good Luck and if you put in the work you will be rewarded. You have to learn to take no for and answer and move on. Sooner or later someone will say yes.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a great site for comparing modern satellite images to old aerial photos. Play around with it, but you can overlay roads, and use the "slide" compare option. Even if they don't have old photos for an area, they will have topo maps.

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

I would also recommend downloading Google Earth. It has satellite images going back to about 94, and offers great detail on the newer images.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by deciding what you're trying to find. Then go to a place where those targets are likely to be found. You'll need to a good 100 hours of use with your machine to get comfortable with what it's telling you. Practice in your own yard on recovery techniques, then hit the beach for lots of targets and easy digging to learn your sounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions