Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So after a bit of research, I have discovered that an old spot in my area was a party place for kids in the 20's. We went out to check the area today, but found it was now private property. After speaking with a local lady who had heard so many stories about this place at a nursing home where she worked, I learned there were stills, white lightning, a club house, a supper club, and a resort there on this tiny island. I might try to find the non local owners, but odds are from what I hear, they're not going to allow me to go check it out.

However, this conversation led me to another spot. She told me of a

swimming hole that the rich kids in town would use and was the go to place back in the 50's and earlier. She even heard stories that Al Capone's brother used to come there and party. (Capone had many hideouts around my area)

This was all it took. I was running home to get my detector. I got to the spot, and started swinging. To sum it up, I found quite a bit of trash, and 2 Wheaties. (1941 and 1949) I also found 2 fired mushroomed slugs from a smaller caliber pistol. With the stories, I just thought those were cool. I cut my hunt short for today though, I forgot my bug spray, and horse flies were out thick.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I learned to ask people about spots. The lady I spoke to today was awesome, and seemed to be more than happy to talk about history and share the stories. I'll feel more confident in approaching people now. I'll keep you all updated on whats else I find at the spot. (I'm sure there's silver there) With the heat cooling down the next couple days, I'll be back as soon as possible.

As always, take care and happy hunting!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your research is starting to pay off!:thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding Sapper.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet hopefully you do well there, sometimes hunting for a spot, and finding a good one, can be as fun and as rewarding as getting some gold and silver under your coil! :icon_thumright:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanna go Haha good luck over there sounds real good

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A number of years ago I was told of a location that had a number of old cellars, Each Spring I would look for them and could never find them, last week I stopped at the local Gas Station and was talking with the old timer that runs it, he pin pointed the exact location, the following day I loaded up and headed out to the place and located it. I was about 3 miles off. It's really over grown with vegetation and plan to hit hard next Spring.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said to my hunting buddy just the other day that
I believe the guys who are doing research and getting off
the beaten path are the ones finding good stuff!

You are proving me correct Sapp!

Thanks bud!

Pete

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research always pay off,and talking to the old timers is even better,I've also found a field about 4 miles from my house that was used by college kids back in the 1920's-1940's.There is an industrial complex on there now,but going to google earth shows a good part of the field,now covered with trees.There's several old house foundations still there and I found an old bell that they use to ring when they were closing.Thank God for Goggle Earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread