Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Did 5 or 6 hours of research not to long ago, found the "perfect site", tons of houses in the 1700's along a 1730's road. Get there, deep in the woods, nothing but bullets and interference. Sometime you win, sometimes you lose, I guess I will have to check again though just in case. Found a new place, well known from the 1710's to the early 1900's. Apparently haunted too based on what I read in 1800's reports. I will try to go today, lets see how my luck turns out. Gonna do as much research as I need until I find a great place lol!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
don't give up on your original idea, if you just miss a homesite by a few yards , you might as well have been a mile away sometimes.
I recall years ago walking over an early site just to get to another known site just a hundred or so yards away, the thing was I'd go in from different angles and after turning my machine on and zigging instead of zagging that one time, I still might have never stumbled upon that other site if I had given up on this little field off to the side, but the research was right, it just took time to cover ALL space it could have been in
here's hoping you find all the sites next time

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
don't give up on your original idea, if you just miss a homesite by a few yards , you might as well have been a mile away sometimes.
I recall years ago walking over an early site just to get to another known site just a hundred or so yards away, the thing was I'd go in from different angles and after turning my machine on and zigging instead of zagging that one time, I still might have never stumbled upon that other site if I had given up on this little field off to the side, but the research was right, it just took time to cover ALL space it could have been in
here's hoping you find all the sites next time

Reminds me of my best site, I pull close to 10 buttons, shoe buckles, and copper some days. There is a stream, in the stream there is tons of stuff, even colonial pipe stems and bowls and other non metal stuff on the surface. On side of the stream in the woods has tons of great stuff, on the other side I haven't found anything except for a wheat and Indian Head penny, probably dropped by hunters. It certainly won't hurt to do a more detailed search of the site I mentioned in my original post, like you said, I may have been within yards of a colonial well, or other frequented place.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had time to go to the other place I mentioned today, will try to go tomorrow before the ground freezes again. People lived there in the late 1710's and early 1720's, and then in the 1740's through around 1800. It was an extremely popular picnic hangout area in the 1700's and 1800's. The place even had a name, which has almost never been mentioned since the late 1800's, I found a way to get there though, it's pretty deep in the woods but still accessible. Don't want to give any more geographical details or the name of this site, due to it being rather easy to locate through old town or state records with that information. Pretty excited to dig there though, sounds like it might be good, I just hope I will be the first to metal detect there. Done research in the past to find out it was pounded throughout the years, and people posted videos on YouTube of them metal detecting there.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Reminds me of my best site, I pull close to 10 buttons, shoe buckles, and copper some days. There is a stream, in the stream there is tons of stuff, even colonial pipe stems and bowls and other non metal stuff on the surface. On side of the stream in the woods has tons of great stuff, on the other side I haven't found anything except for a wheat and Indian Head penny, probably dropped by hunters. It certainly won't hurt to do a more detailed search of the site I mentioned in my original post, like you said, I may have been within yards of a colonial well, or other frequented place.

Yep!
I've done the exact same thing.
One would figure that a settlement surrounded a section of creek or river on both sides, so I learned the hard way and found little or nothing too.
Turned out the more the southern facing sites on the rises falling down the the river tended to be the best and better sites for sure. The northerly facing seemed like they haven't had any habitation. It all makes sense that many early sites were situated in this fashion to harness the natural light from the sun ; so now, it's the first place I check, but not the last.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread