What's new

Results of 18 Nov. 3k in halves - A couple of surprises !!

Argentium

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
5,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody ! Spent the day in a nearby town picking up halves (3 k worth ) , this time
in boxes - my last trip here provided 3x 1 k in bags, and good bags they were ! lots of Bens,
Kens , and a couple of Walking Liberty halves . Well today could not have been more different
Normally my routine would be to hit the bank after lunch , pack the bags or boxes into the car
and spend the next few hours metal detecting , today I decided to knock down a couple of
the boxes before I headed back to my home town of Santa Fe, because there is a great casino
that I can dump $ 1500. at a whack - on the way back , so I search a couple boxes - SKUNK-
I go metal detecting , score a 1964 D Washington (silver - Oh Yeah !) a second later I dig
my first war nickel ! the exclamation point here is because in two and a half years of detecting
I haven't been able to score one of these , also dug a couple wheaties today. I get home
pour myself an adult beverage and knock down the rest of the boxes of halves . Out of 6
boxes : total skunk with the exception of box # 5 - I see a large bold white rim - 1995-s
proof Kennedy 90 %. It lists in the redbook as the second rarest in the proof silver series,
and lists an $80.00 value -- Not bad ! Although a circulated proof is by definition no longer
a proof condition coin, Since the mintage is a low 650,000- maybe this thing is still better
than melt ? What say you ? Thanks ! Argentium.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome finds! I think that it is definitely worth more over melt.
 
I agree. Low mintage is worth keeping even in less than perfect condition.
 
JasonB said:
I agree. Low mintage is worth keeping even in less than perfect condition.

Not necessarily. There's little/no market for NIFC's, or so I was told. So if a NIFC was in less than perfect condition, it might only sell for face value, maybe a little more. But, some people are holding on to them anticipating that a market will develop; maybe so, but only time will tell.
 
Well it's worth something because it's 90%. But it also has one of the lowest mintage number for halves in years, if not the lowest. I'd keep and stash it away. Now NIFC's I really don't care for.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom